• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is Putin’s end game?

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Putin invades Ukraine. Lots of sanctions, including against Putin himself and his family, and Russian banks being shut out of the world banking community. Putin says if he gets personally sanctioned, he will cut off all diplomatic relations with the West. Clearly, we are in Cold War II because Putin wants it that way. So what is his end game? What is he trying to prove?
He has already embarrassed four US presidents: Junior Bush (“I looked into his soul” and invasion of Georgia); Obama (“Reset”) and invasion of Crimea; Trump (“he said he didn’t do it, and I believe him”); and now Biden with the coming invasion of Ukraine. He clearly likes to get the best of US presidents, and he evidently thinks the he can do okay without the West, or does he think that European countries will be relaxing sanctions in order to get energy, and he can thereby split the West? What is the point of all this?

His end game is the revival of the USSR.. An ex KGB communist agent who said 1 of the greatest catastrophes in history was the fall of the USSR..

I remember when Republicans hated the USSR, they hated communists...

How times have changed..
Republicans still hate Commies and the USSR. Its you libs who lick the boots of commies like Xi and BLM

Putin invades Ukraine. Lots of sanctions, including against Putin himself and his family, and Russian banks being shut out of the world banking community. Putin says if he gets personally sanctioned, he will cut off all diplomatic relations with the West. Clearly, we are in Cold War II because Putin wants it that way. So what is his end game? What is he trying to prove?
He has already embarrassed four US presidents: Junior Bush (“I looked into his soul” and invasion of Georgia); Obama (“Reset”) and invasion of Crimea; Trump (“he said he didn’t do it, and I believe him”); and now Biden with the coming invasion of Ukraine. He clearly likes to get the best of US presidents, and he evidently thinks the he can do okay without the West, or does he think that European countries will be relaxing sanctions in order to get energy, and he can thereby split the West? What is the point of all this?
Perhaps instead of grand strategy it's closer to what it looks like: an embittered, aging Boomer (soon to be on the wrong side of 70) who's been nursing toxic grievances for decades lashing out as those vaunted marbles start to roll away one unhinged rant at a time.

His end game is the revival of the USSR.. An ex KGB communist agent who said 1 of the greatest catastrophes in history was the fall of the USSR..

How times have changed..

A supreme egotist, bordering on paranoia. And probably not just bordering. A paranoiac in charge of a nation used to tyrants who has found the formula for success: you don’t have to kill millions like Stalin did in or order to reign, just to kill a select few and everybody else falls in line, as long as they are adequately fed and have access to good shopping. Plus you can rip off a bit here and a bit there like a Mafia boss and live in a way that would make Midas jealous. Yes, he is a genius. But Trump forgot the word “evil” in front of it.

Republicans still hate Commies and the USSR. Its you libs who lick the boots of commies like Xi and BLM

We can always count on you to embarrass yourself with totally ridiculous posts. I’ve never seen it otherwise. Please stay out of this thread so that we can have a serious discussion.

Staving off a night of knives. He's never been weaker domestically. The Russian miracle never materialized. Terrorizing the gays doesn't in fact lead to manufacturing capacity. And being a raw producer of a fungible commodity is very precarious (see, Venezuela). It's never been more likely than right now that one of his capos turns on him while the ruble is poised for Turkish levels of old-school inflation and hungry Russians are no longer willing to immediately assign all blame to gay Muslim disco dancers...

Perhaps instead of grand strategy it's closer to what it looks like: an embittered, aging Boomer (soon to be on the wrong side of 70) who's been nursing toxic grievances for decades lashing out as those vaunted marbles start to roll away one unhinged rant at a time.

Excellent analysis. Perhaps looking for a long-term legacy as the “savior” of the Russian empire.

We can always count on you to embarrass yourself with totally ridiculous posts. I’ve never seen it otherwise. Please stay out of this thread so that we can have a serious discussion.
What I said was true. Sorry it hurts your feelings.

What I said was true. Sorry it hurts your feelings.

*SIGH*. I guess that you are determined to try to ruin a serious thread with the insertion of yet more simplistic and downright asinine posts. *SIGH*

*SIGH*. I guess that you are determined to try to ruin a serious thread with the insertion of yet more simplistic and downright asinine posts. *SIGH*
Youre not going to start crying are you? My posts have been factually accurate. Thats why you attack me rather than them.

I think that destabilizing the west is a big part of the goal.

Excellent analysis. Perhaps looking for a long-term legacy as the “savior” of the Russian empire.
Plenty of examples from history of a ruler with too much power sticking around well past his prime, sometimes with disastrous results for his country (a good reminder of the inherent frailty of systems that concentrate too much power in any one figure). But I'm not sure we've had that scenario in the nuclear age in a nuclear nation before now.

Youre not going to start crying are you? My posts have been factually accurate. Thats why you attack me rather than them.

See post #12. If i thought that your post were worth actually replying to, I would. I won’t.

See post #12. If i thought that your post were worth actually replying to, I would. I won’t.
Thats your third reply to me in this thread. Get your story straight.

He is old but still has some power. It is not about Russia. How can this do anything but hurt Russia? Crazy autocrats will destroy everything alone with them selves at the end.

How times have changed..
I agree with his end game. I have no respect anymore for "republicans", the party is dead, made of anti-American, unpatriotic racist traitors. The Trump Cult Party loves dictators like Putin, their hero is still sucking on more than Putin's teat. Shameful American scum. The few sane ones need to walk away until they reinvent themselves, or just vote democratic until this insurrectionist shitshow is destroyed.

Then he's failed. Western corporate republics always bond over defense budget increases
The US is more divided than it has been since the Civil War, and he had a hand in it. Now he can screw up the markets just by ****ing with us. Looking at it objectively, that's hardly failure.

The US is more divided than it has been since the Civil War, and he had a hand in it. Now he can screw up the markets just by ****ing with us. Looking at it objectively, that's hardly failure.
Sure, electorally. Over religious sentiments and racial awareness. In a system that was always bad at creating unity, since it was a compromise to preserve chattel slavery and pit sectarians against each other.

But not in terms of defense consensus. The Western powers shifted into sync with an alacrity that probably spooks Moscow.

Does the U.S. military need to become involved?

Buffer space between Russia and NATO, and the establishment of Russian decision making in European security arrangements.
That sounds too much like what Putin would say to the world,
and I’m not buying it. It’s more about megalomania and a “legacy” of being the great new ruler of a reestablished Russian empire.

Back
Top Bottom