• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is Patriotism?

What are your thoughts about patriotism

• Total voters
Everything. He is not America, he is simply a moron and represents the basest instincts of a con man and fool. The world is filled with men like him but they rarely assume power in the West. Unfortunately, that story you heard about us has a flaw. The story is that we are good, righteous, honest, fair and just. His presence makes a mockery of those values.

You can't say "everything". That implies a closed, biased, and prejudiced mind. There is both good and bad in everyone, including Trump.

Once again; can you please be more specific as to why Trump "is not what America stands for"?

Surely there must be some example you can share which we can have a rational discussion about?

Sorry Vadinho but I have no idea what "story" you are referring to here?

Remember; rational discussion is impossible without specifics to work with.

And I very much wish to know the specific reasons why you feel as you do about Trump?

Or at least one specific reason; although I'm sure there must be more?

Something Trump has said or done that is responsible for your opinion of him?

The anti-Trumpsters have no rational. All they have is total blind hatred and they let nothing stand in the way of that.

Everything. He is not America, he is simply a moron and represents the basest instincts of a con man and fool. The world is filled with men like him but they rarely assume power in the West. Unfortunately, that story you heard about us has a flaw. The story is that we are good, righteous, honest, fair and just. His presence makes a mockery of those values.

So why bring him up? America/patriotism in itself is more that an administration, is it not?

So why bring him up? America/patriotism in itself is more that an administration, is it not?

I brought it up because a new citizen needs to know that Trump is an aberration not the norm.

You can't say "everything". That implies a closed, biased, and prejudiced mind. There is both good and bad in everyone, including Trump.

I cannot think of anything good about Trump, not one single thing. In fact, his mere likeness makes me ashamed to be an American. I know Trump supporters want us all to accept this abomination but you will be disappointed if you think non-supporters will ever accept this man.

Once again; can you please be more specific as to why Trump "is not what America stands for"?

Surely there must be some example you can share which we can have a rational discussion about?

Sorry Vadinho but I have no idea what "story" you are referring to here?

Remember; rational discussion is impossible without specifics to work with.

And I very much wish to know the specific reasons why you feel as you do about Trump?

Or at least one specific reason; although I'm sure there must be more?

Something Trump has said or done that is responsible for your opinion of him?

If you are here then I assume you follow the news and like politics. If you do not grasp the fundamental truth in what I claimed then I am not going to spend any time educating you further. I suggest you get a transcript of his latest bloviation during an interview. If by reading this tripe you still want proof then I cannot help you.

I cannot think of anything good about Trump, not one single thing. In fact, his mere likeness makes me ashamed to be an American. I know Trump supporters want us all to accept this abomination but you will be disappointed if you think non-supporters will ever accept this man.

Of course you can't think of anything good about Trump. It's total blind biased partisan hatred.

I hate it when posters have no argument so they have to post cartoons. That's all you've got, cartoons?

I just posted an argument for the 2nd time you refuse to address. :lol: won't hold my breath expecting you to respond, as it would force you to put Trump in a bad light and expose his lies and hypocricy.

Of course you can't think of anything good about Trump. It's total blind biased partisan hatred.

Not really, I kind of liked Mitt, he is a good man. But Trump, cannot stand the man. He will go down as the worst President in history much to our shame. I don't hate Republicans because there are none left. Whatever this party is now is the danger, who knows what it really stands for but ignorance, cruelty and greed.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson.

The anti-Trumpsters have no rational. All they have is total blind hatred and they let nothing stand in the way of that.
Like Sara Palin; Donald Trump's popularity literally scares the hell out of the Progressive/Democrat Party.

The more the progressives perceive a threat be, the more they fear the catalyst of that threat, resulting in more vicious and more often attacks; to the point of obsession.

Lets hope the Trump supporters have wised-up to the Main Stream Media this time around, which caused many of Sara Palin's supporters to abandon her in 2008.

Like Sara Palin; Donald Trump's popularity literally scares the hell out of the Progressive/Democrat Party.

The more the progressives perceive a threat be, the more they fear the catalyst of that threat, resulting in more vicious and more often attacks; to the point of obsession.

Lets hope the Trump supporters have wised-up to the Main Stream Media this time around, which caused many of Sara Palin's supporters to abandon her in 2008.

I think this is one reason Trump won in 2016. Readers have wised up to the liberal bias of the MSM and are about sick and tired of Hollywood telling them who they should vote for.

I’m a patriot but, I’m not a patriot fan (football) I love my country. Ronald Reagan was a Patriot. But, if you are asking something specifically about patriotism. Let me know. I don’t really think that trump shouldn’t be involved with this conversation.. let me ask you this question for everyone to answer. On that Tuesday morning on September 11, 2001 define patriot after that. Because I’m sorry I love my country and if we want to change our past because we don’t agree with it! Well what the …. Does history mean? Because history is history cannot change it

Comments about nationalism, sovereignty and tribalism make me wonder how many use the terms interchangeably. That doesn't seem what Hamilton is trying to convey. Far the opposite, imho. Am I wrong?

Nowadays Tribalism is usually used to describe Toxic Group-ism, not the doings of actual family units.
It can be used to describe actual tribes who are hostile to all outsiders, ideologies who consider everyone who is a not an aryan/comrade/faithful the enemy, gender warriors who consider all males/females the enemy, or for that matter an IT department which wages war on the other departments. It is the subsumption of individuality to superficial groups.

If you are here then I assume you follow the news and like politics. If you do not grasp the fundamental truth in what I claimed then I am not going to spend any time educating you further. I suggest you get a transcript of his latest bloviation during an interview. If by reading this tripe you still want proof then I cannot help you.
ie; you simply bought into the nonstop MSM smear campaign that's been raging since he became POTUS.

That certainly explains your inability to produce even one specific example for your opinion.

Instead you yourself have chosen to bloviate about Trumps "latest bloviation during an interview".

It's quite obvious you have no valid rational reason for your opinion other than 'I hate Donald Trump'.

ie; you simply bought into the nonstop MSM smear campaign that's been raging since he became POTUS.

That certainly explains your inability to produce even one specific example for your opinion.

Instead you yourself have chosen to bloviate about Trumps "latest bloviation during an interview".

It's quite obvious you have no valid rational reason for your opinion other than 'I hate Donald Trump'.

you want me to send you the transcript of his gibberish? its incomprehensible nonsense....

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

From the Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-transcript-annotated/?utm_term=.6f95721af501

The whole interview is a disaster, complete nonsense delivered with confidence as if he believes anyone with half a brain agrees with him. He is so stupid he thinks he is smart.

Last edited:
Patriotism is something the 'Greatest Generation' had in abundance that has been fleeting since the 1970's and at this point in time
is hardly a blip on the radar screen.

[FONT=&quot]Patriotism is not an abstract concept. It begins from one's own home. It buds out from the love for one's parents, spouses and children, the love for one's own home, village and workplace, and further develops into the love for one's country and fellow people.

[/FONT]
Kim Jong Un.

Patriotism is a belief in a nation's ideals.

Nationalism is putting ones country first.

Different things. Neither, inherently, involves pride. One should not conflate pride with philosophical agreement. In the case of nationalism, there is some inherent supremacy which may or may not manifest as pride, but there is no such thing in patriotism.

The ideals which created the US began before the US with The Enlightenment. The US was the first globally impactful realization of The Enlightenment. A belief in our nation's ideals does not begin with our nation. A patriot's loyalty is to those ideals and not to the US exclusively.

Patriotism is not exclusive. Nationalism is exclusive.

Last edited:
Patriotism is doing what's both prudent and politic for one's country regardless of whether doing so is politic for oneself, one's politics and/or one's political party.

you want me to send you the transcript of his gibberish? its incomprehensible nonsense....

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

From the Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-transcript-annotated/?utm_term=.6f95721af501

The whole interview is a disaster, complete nonsense delivered with confidence as if he believes anyone with half a brain agrees with him. He is so stupid he thinks he is smart.

The topic is, for once, not about Trump.

Voted agree.

Generally agree with author.

I would add that there is I consider myself a patriot in that I am significantly disappointed in what I see as the wrongs and failings of America, which are myriad and in some cases stupendously immense.

Our failings influence the world, and I think we must correct them.

But I'm also convinced we have within America the power to make ourselves better, get closer to the ideal we want to be.

The main roadblock to that is defining what that better is.

I can imagine a future where we use zero fossil fuels, our education systems and their results are some of the best in the world (they are not now), and people living in our country do not lack the necessities, which I view as water, food, clothing, shelter, and medical care as needed.

Beyond that, I would see things like government-subsidized public universities ensuring the majority of our future children can follow their interests into knowledge without indebting themselves for decades or their entire lives.

I would see our systems for electing representatives and other such repaired and protected so that the will of the people holds most sway in our governments.

I could go on.

But I don't think it's a lost cause.

And in some ways I think anyone who thinks there is a chance it can be better is a patriot.

Back
Top Bottom