• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is most important to you?

What Drives You?

• Nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Morals

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Ethics

• Principles

• Humanity

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Self Preservation

• Economic Gain

• Personal Ideals

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Love

• Hate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In having been here about 30 months, one thing that has jumped out to me is what I consider to be a huge difference in values that is shown.

I grew up with the teachings of my parents, my religion, and my time in the armed forces that taught me that the important things in life were honor, respect, caring for others, dedication, and perseverance as well as justice. That these were the pillars of what a human being (as well as what the United States) represented. All of these ideals were also supported by the books I read, the television shows I watched and the experiences that I learned from. I was taught that these ideals was what good people strive for and to fight against those that tried to impose their own desires-not-based-on-these-ideals with every fiber in my body.

I was also taught that every person is a world onto its own and that there would always be differences of opinion on most everything but that as long as they too had these basic ideals (mentioned above) that the differences of opinion would not be a major problem. In fact, they would lead to better things as differences of opinion were the pillars of becoming a better person, as by sharing one's own knowledge, experiences, upbringing, and beliefs we were expanding ourselves to understand all of humanity and not just the small portion of the world we personally inhabit.

We (the entire wold's population) are one when it comes to defining humanity and who God meant us all to be.

Nonetheless, coming here to this board has opened my eyes to the fact we are not becoming better people and that humanity is not working for overall survival but just working for the survival of those just like us and even then,, only the small portion of us that agree with us.

I have lived 75 years and I have had more life experiences than most. I have had many ups and downs, have worked in many totally different industries, have read more books than most, and have likely met more people in my lifetime that probably 90% of the world's population has and yet coming to this board has been an eye opener that I had not expected. Never did I think or believe there was so many closed minds and so many people willing to throw away everything I consider basic to humanity.

Having said that, I want to see just how many people still believe in the basics of humanity. How many people still strive to be better.

Last edited:
Sorry, your poll will only let me choose four items. That's not enough.

Moving on...

Sorry, your poll will only let me choose four items. That's not enough.

Moving on...

You mean to say that you can't choose the top four things that drive you?

In my case, the top of my list is principles. I believe having a guideline to follow no matter what is the most important thing. My principles cover everything else and makes everything crystal clear as what to choose when faced with a decision. Principles cover ethics, morality and humanity (the other 3 I mentioned. Then again, principles cannot be mentioned along because to some people principles can be to take advantage of people. As such, it must be made clear that principles are based on ethics, morality and humanity.

Then again, I am not surprised at you inability to pick because you lie to yourself about having any of them. You think you have them all but in your words of your posts you have yet to show any.

You mean to say that you can't choose the top four things that drive you?

In my case, the top of my list is principles. I believe having a guideline to follow no matter what is the most important thing. My principles cover everything else and makes everything crystal clear as what to choose when faced with a decision. Principles cover ethics, morality and humanity (the other 3 I mentioned. Then again, principles cannot be mentioned along because to some people principles can be to take advantage of people. As such, it must be made clear that principles are based on ethics, morality and humanity.

Then again, I am not surprised at you inability to pick because you lie to yourself about having any of them. You think you have them all but in your words of your posts you have yet to show any.
Eight out of ten of your choices are equally important to me. I won't choose between them.

Back
Top Bottom