• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is it like to live in a pro-gun state?

I'm in New York state, and the democratic politicians that make the laws for the state, run the state, and enforce the laws for the state hate guns want more gun regulation and prohibition, and don't want us New Yorkers to have them in many circumstance if not all of them.

The New York "safe act" legislation that passed in the state some time ago had successfully limited many gun types, makes and models, and ammunition capacities form being able to be owned and carried by New Yorkers -- and the bureaucracy New York's have to go to be able to own a gun is arduous, time consuming, expensive, and in my opinion set up to try and dissuade New Yorker from attempting to own guns. In New York City, you're not able to like travel with a gun unless it's in a gun case I think and dismantled or the magazine or ammunitions for the gun are inside it, and you're not allowed to open, concealed, or carry on your person in any circumstance publicly or privately I think.

You also aren't allowed to shoot someone who enters your home without your permission, which is ridiculous. What is it like to like in a state that's pro gun? Are you pro-gun? Do you own a gun?

What gun do you own? Guns do you own? How long have you owned a gun?

When did you get your first gun? What are your gun laws like? Are you in a constitutional carry state? Permit needed state?

What do you need to do to get a gun? Be able to carry openly or concealed? Be able to stand your ground?
Pro-gun states are usually pretty dumb. Bottom of the barrel in income and education; short on life expectancy, high on smoking cigarettes and obesity.

Wow, Natman--it sounds like you know your stuff. If you're not already, you should be a teacher. I don't even know what a "buttstock" is--I thought it was where they had a big rock concert years ago. :)

I suppose I really need to try to learn something about guns, but right now I'm kind of scared to even touch one. That's weird because I'm a big "gun rights" person. I guess I just feel like I might be too clumsy--like that girl in the video.

Anyway, thanks again for that great response!
I used to teach people to shoot / sold guns for a living.
Here's a picture of the proper stance. Note the forward lean, the position of the cheek on the stock and the buttstock held firmly in the shoulder/chest.
QyqLr7Z.jpg

I used to teach people to shoot / sold guns for a living.
Here's a picture of the proper stance. Note the forward lean, the position of the cheek on the stock and the buttstock held firmly in the shoulder/chest.
QyqLr7Z.jpg

Nat, since you used to teach this stuff, can I ask you a question? This might sound silly, but when I was growing up, somebody was having me hold a small rifle, and I was holding it against my right shoulder like in that picture. But the guy (one of my cousins) said that I should look through the scope with my right eye and I should keep my left eye open. The problem was, I wanted to look through the scope with my left eye and keep my right eye closed. He said that was wrong and that I would have to learn to do it the right way. Was he correct? Does it really matter that much which eye I use? And do I really have to keep both eyes open? And is sweet-and-sour sauce just as good as duck sauce on cooked rice?

The only "common sense" that matters is the part of the Second Amendment that says "shall not be infringed." Government may not restrict or limit the arms we keep and bear. Every law, State or federal, enacted to the contrary is a violation of the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment exist specifically to prohibit the government from interfering with our ancient individual right to keep and bear arms.
Virtually no.one agrees with you

Nat, since you used to teach this stuff, can I ask you a question? This might sound silly, but when I was growing up, somebody was having me hold a small rifle, and I was holding it against my right shoulder like in that picture. But the guy (one of my cousins) said that I should look through the scope with my right eye and I should keep my left eye open. The problem was, I wanted to look through the scope with my left eye and keep my right eye closed. He said that was wrong and that I would have to learn to do it the right way. Was he correct? Does it really matter that much which eye I use? And do I really have to keep both eyes open? And is sweet-and-sour sauce just as good as duck sauce on cooked rice?
Are you right or left handed? (Yes! is not an acceptable answer. ;))

I'm right-handed.
OK, clasp your hands together as if praying. Then with your hands at arms length in front of you and both eyes open, point your fingertips at a distant object. Then close one eye, then switch. With a certain eye, your fingers should still be pointing at the object, but move with the other. Which eye stays the same?

OK, clasp your hands together as if praying. Then with your hands at arms length in front of you and both eyes open, point your fingertips at a distant object. Then close one eye, then switch. With a certain eye, your fingers should still be pointing at the object, but move with the other. Which eye stays the same?

The object stayed the same with my right eye. I think I see where this is going. I'll bet my couisn was correct and I should use my right eye. Right? I mean, correct?

The object stayed the same with my right eye. I think I see where this is going. I'll bet my couisn was correct and I should use my right eye. Right? I mean, correct?
Yes. If you are right eye dominant and right handed, it will be a LOT easier if you use your right eye to see through the scope. While it is ideal to keep both eyes open, particularly with close shots and low magnification, it's not required. I'd try to learn to keep both eyes open, but if it presents a problem just close the left eye.

Yes. If you are right eye dominant and right handed, it will be a LOT easier if you use your right eye to see through the scope. While it is ideal to keep both eyes open, particularly with close shots and low magnification, it's not required. I'd try to learn to keep both eyes open, but if it presents a problem just close the left eye.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this, Nat! It's actually a relief to know that my cousin was right. He said that I would eventually learn to ignore what my left eye was seeing. You're a great teacher, Nat! Thanks again!

Thank you VERY MUCH for this, Nat! It's actually a relief to know that my cousin was right. He said that I would eventually learn to ignore what my left eye was seeing. You're a great teacher, Nat! Thanks again!
My pleasure, we're all in this together.

Back
Top Bottom