• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is going on with meteors?

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Some background:

On January 1st 2022 the Western Pennsylvania area heard a big boom around 1130am. People could hear it as far west as Weirton WV, as far east as Greensburg Pa.

While there is no "official" explination, the general consensus right now is that it was a meteor entering our atmosphere. No lightning or thunderstorms were detected in the area, just rain.

My wife decided to look up if this has happened at other places. She has found these recent dates when this same thing has happened and has yet to be "officially" explained:

Clarksville, Tennessee 9-6-21
Shenandoah Valley 9-17-21
New Hampshire 10-10-21
Southwest Florida 12-7-21
Massachusetts 12-15-21
Central Illinois 12-21-21 (though some people say this was an F15)
Louisiana 12-24-21
San Diego, California 12-28-21
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1-1-22

Also very interesting is that on the early morning hours of November 24th, 2021, between 1 and 2am... NASA launched a spacecraft to smash into an asteroid to test if it would be able to alter the trajectory of an asteroid.

While neither me nor my wife are saying any sort of conspiracy is taking place, it does seem very interesting that these unexplained booms are taking place, and then in November NASA launched this test.

It's a combination of global warming and Trump. Trump caused global warming.

Well, those two things and that we're getting better at tracking and recording these events as technology improves.

Some background:

On January 1st 2022 the Western Pennsylvania area heard a big boom around 1130am. People could hear it as far west as Weirton WV, as far east as Greensburg Pa.

While there is no "official" explination, the general consensus right now is that it was a meteor entering our atmosphere. No lightning or thunderstorms were detected in the area, just rain.

My wife decided to look up if this has happened at other places. She has found these recent dates when this same thing has happened and has yet to be "officially" explained:

New Hampshire 10-10-21
Massachusetts 12-15-21
Louisiana 12-24-21

Also very interesting is that on the early morning hours of November 24th, 2021, between 1 and 2am... NASA launched a spacecraft to smash into an asteroid to test if it would be able to alter the trajectory of an asteroid.

While neither me nor my wife are saying any sort of conspiracy is taking place, it does seem very interesting that these unexplained booms are taking place, and then in November NASA launched this test.

LOL. I guess you've never heard of periodic meteor showers and that fact that we are constantly bombarded by meteors to the tune of 25 million micrometeorites per day and less of the larger ones? That's 15,000 tons of material entering our atmosphere a year. On average there are about 10 larger meteorites that don't burn up in the atmosphere and strike earth. And the earth has had some close calls by some big asteroids in the not too distant past.

LOL. I guess you've never heard of periodic meteor showers and that fact that we are constantly bombarded by meteors to the tune of 25 million micrometeorites per day and less of the larger ones? That's 15,000 tons of material entering our atmosphere a year. On average there are about 10 larger meteorites that don't burn up in the atmosphere and strike earth. And the earth has had some close calls by some big asteroids in the not too distant past.

The thing is, if you google events before 2021, the events are much more sparse than then the past half year.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything there, just interesting coincidences.

The thing is, if you google events before 2021, the events are much more sparse than then the past half year.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything there, just interesting coincidences.
There are cameras everywhere, they capture the footage of meteors.

Also, they don't get ufo's which is why ufo sightings go down now that everyone carries a video camera with them.

Anything big enough to make a bang, should also make a light trail. And if it was big enough to cause rain over a large area, it would be pretty bright.

The chance of earth getting hit by a large enough meteor to cause serious damage (mile>30 mile damage) is somewhere around one every 1/4 million years.
Experts even argue on that figure. One thing is for sure..we will get hit one day that will cause extensive damage. Could be next week or a million years.
A little boring stuff>> We travel around the galaxy along with the Ort..(Oort) cloud which contains probably a trillion (Yep..Trillion) of rocks up to 1-60 miles across.
The Ort cloud extents WAY out. Somewhere around 2000 or more A.U. (Our distance to the Sun.)
The problem is we also pass stars and whatever on our journey around the galaxy, which MAY distort the Ort cloud and send one or more of those bad boys headed our way. Not to worry though..our life-spans are short enough that we'll probably never have to see a big one. Like ...Don't-look-up. That would suck. :)

I think the NASA mission is odd. What if they alter the darn thing right into us?

It's a combination of global warming and Trump. Trump caused global warming. Well, those two things and that we're getting better at tracking and recording these events as technology improves.

Has anybody figured out why Lutherf thinks he's scoring a big one against "the liberals" why walking into a thread, dropping trou, and screaming incoherently about remote-controlled birds?

Has anybody figured out why Lutherf thinks he's scoring a big one against "the liberals" why walking into a thread, dropping trou, and screaming incoherently about remote-controlled birds?
It's not about me, it's about you. I do it for you. I do it so that you and yours have something to complain about every day. I do it so you have a purpose in your life and, frankly, so that you can feel a little success for calling out some guy on the internet.

Anyway, do you think improved technology has contributed to the increase in recorded meteor impacts or not?

Reactions: PoS
It's not about me, it's about you. I do it for you. I do it so that you and yours have something to complain about every day. I do it so you have a purpose in your life and, frankly, so that you can feel a little success for calling out some guy on the internet.

Anyway, do you think improved technology has contributed to the increase in recorded meteor impacts or not?

Inevitably. Big scopes may be discarding them but amateur observatories are almost all video-enabled now.

2030: "I was trying to shoot full color video by starlight, but these damn micrmeteors were spoiling the background. Luckily enough my eyeballphone was smart enough to filter them out, I just had to ask."

It's a combination of global warming and Trump. Trump caused global warming.

Well, those two things and that we're getting better at tracking and recording these events as technology improves.
Do you have to shit up every single thread with this sort of thing?

What's odd about it?

The DART spacecraft will achieve the kinetic impact deflection by deliberately crashing itself into the moonlet at a speed of approximately 6.6 km/s, with the aid of an onboard camera (named DRACO) and sophisticated autonomous navigation software. The collision will change the speed of the moonlet in its orbit around the main body by a fraction of one percent, but this will change the orbital period of the moonlet by several minutes - enough to be observed and measured using telescopes on Earth.

It's rocket science. What's odd is how easy it is.

It's rocket science. What's odd is how easy it is.

It's not easy at all, that's why they need to learn by doing. They've got the theory and the engineering concepts, but reality has shown time and time again that the plans you come up with in a lab don't always work out. Any kind of engineering goes through this loop of designing, building, utilizing, learning new things over time and iterating on the design based on this new knowledge.

It's important that we learn how to do this before knowing how to do it is necessary! The next dinosaur killer on its way here might only give us the one shot to deflect properly. You really don't want that mission to be a beta test.

It's not easy at all, that's why they need to learn by doing. They've got the theory and the engineering concepts, but reality has shown time and time again that the plans you come up with in a lab don't always work out. Any kind of engineering goes through this loop of designing, building, utilizing, learning new things over time and iterating on the design based on this new knowledge.

It's important that we learn how to do this before knowing how to do it is necessary! The next dinosaur killer on its way here might only give us the one shot to deflect properly. You really don't want that mission to be a beta test.

What would be easy would be aiming for the bigger asteroid of the binary. They're aiming for a smaller asteroid (160 metres across, not a dino killer) mainly because it's easy to tell how much its orbit gets changed. But it's also much harder to hit, showing a certain amount of self-challenge by NASA.

This idea of a quite small interceptor but taking a long time to get up to speed, doesn't seem as practical for emergencies than burrowing into one side of an asteroid and detonating a nuke.

If we can't nuke dangerous asteroids, what CAN we nuke?

What would be easy would be aiming for the bigger asteroid of the binary. They're aiming for a smaller asteroid (160 metres across, not a dino killer) mainly because it's easy to tell how much its orbit gets changed. But it's also much harder to hit, showing a certain amount of self-challenge by NASA.

This idea of a quite small interceptor but taking a long time to get up to speed, doesn't seem as practical for emergencies than burrowing into one side of an asteroid and detonating a nuke.

If you're using a nuke on an asteroid, you have to penetrate the asteroid.

It's better to just slam it with a shit ton of rest mass and change its velocity.

It's not at all clear that trying to nuke an asteroid would have the desired effect. An asteroid small enough to obliterate with a nuke might not be the biggest danger in the first place. A medium-sized one might just break into smaller pieces and not dramatically alter the results. A world-killer sized asteroid might just not be significantly deflected by a nuclear detonation. There's hardly any data on nukes in space. There's no atmosphere to superheat, which is a big part of a nuke's damaging effects, it creates a very powerful pressure wave and that big ass fireball. The asteroid is going to get blasted by radiation instead of a shockwave, and this might not impart the sort of kinetic energy you're going for.

"Burrowing" into an asteroid is another big question mark. Can a large enough warhead be burrowed far enough into the asteroid to make a difference vs. a surface detonation? Does it even really help the situation with a world-killer sized asteroid?

But space is vast, and these things happen over very long periods of time. Even a tiny change in asteroid velocity, compounded over several months or even years, could alter a trajectory to turn a hit into a miss. ICBMs don't have the reach to intercept far enough out to matter. You'd be building a new delivery vehicle to try and intercept at a great distance.

Either way, we don't want it to be a beta test. Start by just making sure we can hit the darn things and see if the results are remotely predictable. Worry about explosives later!

I think the NASA mission is odd. What if they alter the darn thing right into us?

88F8c4jm.jpg

It's not at all clear that trying to nuke an asteroid would have the desired effect. An asteroid small enough to obliterate with a nuke might not be the biggest danger in the first place. A medium-sized one might just break into smaller pieces and not dramatically alter the results. A world-killer sized asteroid might just not be significantly deflected by a nuclear detonation. There's hardly any data on nukes in space. There's no atmosphere to superheat, which is a big part of a nuke's damaging effects, it creates a very powerful pressure wave and that big ass fireball. The asteroid is going to get blasted by radiation instead of a shockwave, and this might not impart the sort of kinetic energy you're going for.

"Burrowing" into an asteroid is another big question mark. Can a large enough warhead be burrowed far enough into the asteroid to make a difference vs. a surface detonation? Does it even really help the situation with a world-killer sized asteroid?

But space is vast, and these things happen over very long periods of time. Even a tiny change in asteroid velocity, compounded over several months or even years, could alter a trajectory to turn a hit into a miss. ICBMs don't have the reach to intercept far enough out to matter. You'd be building a new delivery vehicle to try and intercept at a great distance.

Either way, we don't want it to be a beta test. Start by just making sure we can hit the darn things and see if the results are remotely predictable. Worry about explosives later!
I don't think intercepting an asteroid is the problem. We have become fairly precise in space (course corrections are routine now) and the Japanese have already intercepted an asteroid. The James Webb satellite is moving at 20,000 mph. Wouldn't that be that fast enough?

What's odd about it?
I think he's with those people that think just launching into space is effecting things like our weather etc. which is silly.

LOL exactly. Do you notice how he immediately comes running into the thread the moment Trump is mentioned and completely misses the tongue in cheek sarcasm while doing his neurotic hissy fits? This has been happening for years. :LOL:

Some background:

New Hampshire 10-10-21
Massachusetts 12-15-21
Louisiana 12-24-21

I was touring the East Coast and had gas... sorry. I fart loud.

I was touring the East Coast and had gas... sorry. I fart loud.
I just thought the smell was my sewer system backing up... DAMMIT BOD! At the very least make it a "silent but deadly". 😁

Some background:

New Hampshire 10-10-21
Massachusetts 12-15-21
Louisiana 12-24-21

I was under a meteor once, the picnic table overturned, ladders were thrown in the air and we were lifted off our feet in a friend's yard one day back in grade school.

I was born on the day of the Alaskan Earthquake March 27, 1964.

Did you see the cable flick on the recent Russian Meteor? They got it on so many video feeds and angles to study the shock wave and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom