• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is God's Name

Isn't he also called "Zebaoth"?

Are there other gods? Well, it would depend on your definition of god, would it not?

I guess. What would be yours ?

If a god is all, everything, why would god such a god need a name? It would be limiting. In fact even the concept of such a god would be limiting.

Why do you have a name ?

Why do you have a name ?
I would say to distinguish myself from other people, just as God's name, Jehovah, distinguishes Him from other gods...He wants to be known by His name...He wants us to use and appreciate His name...the God of heaven Himself says that He wants to be known by his “memorial” name...

"So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose* to Become.”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’”+ Then God said once more to Moses:“ This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham,+ the God of Isaac,+ and the God of Jacob,+ has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever,+ and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation." Exodus 3:14.15

"Jehovah the God of armies,+
Jehovah is his memorial name." Hosea 12:5

"O Jehovah, your name endures forever.
O Jehovah, your fame* endures for all generations." Psalm 135:13

I guess. What would be yours ?

Why do you have a name ?

I don’t have a god as such. No single entity. “God” is everything, all, ONE.

Actually, “everything, all, one” are comparisons and are thus incorrect as comparisons by definition must have something with which to be compared.

“God” cannot be described and can only be experienced.

There is no exclusion. “God” has no religion and favors no religion.

Why do I have a name? I have many names. They mark the time in my current form of existence.

The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century ceworked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai or Elohim.

Latin-speaking Christian scholars replaced the Y (which does not exist in Latin) with an I or a J

OK so far you've attempted to explain how we went from YHWH to JHWH
But if we pick the vowels from "Adonai" or "Elohim", how do we get "Jehovah" ?
We could easily get "Jahowih" could we not ?

And those Hebrew words are not the name of God, but titles. So what business do they have in God's name ?

If God wants us to use His own personal name, then He would give it.

How do you know ?
You're just judging God by your own standards

Anyway.....is it so important that we must know His real name?
Does that have any bearing on one's faith?
Does it change how we feel towards Him whether we know His real name or not?

Yes, it is very important
In almost every religion I can think of, the god or gods have names
Without a name, how can you have a personal relationship ?

If the president was to meet you, you might call him Mr President, but if he wanted to have a personal relationship with you, he's ask you to call him by his name. Joe

Suffice it to say that in the Scriptures, He is called by many names (titles) - including the title, FATHER
- of which Jesus Himself had instructed us to use.

You got it right when you said titles (like Mr President is a title - see above)

Even the Lord's prayer reads:
Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name...

Two titles, but no name. If "hallowed" means sacred, how can we hold God's name sacred, if we don't know what it is ?

Jesus didn't instruct us to call Him Father for no reason!
It is how God wants us - followers of Christ - to regard Him.

Jesus was divine, he was god-from-god. Yet he had a name. Why is that ?
So yes you might call God "The Father", but you might also call Jesus "The Son" - except he has a name

And you're wrong:
John 17:26: And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Personally, I like referring to Him as, FATHER.
It is more than just a benevolent title.

I don't, or Lord or any title
Just as if you knew Joe Biden personally, you'd call him by his name, not some title invented by man

The name FATHER takes our relationship with Him on a high level.

No more than calling him Lord or Mr President

It's just no longer a relationship between Creator and creation.
Calling Him - and regarding Him - as FATHER, now becomes something similar between a parent and a child.

It's not a personal relationship though
You might call a priest "Father" - but you don't have a personal relationship with him

I think - when we have been instructed by Jesus to regard and call God as our Father, and yet we insist to refer to Him as formally as we can by trying to use His real name (which we cannot pronounce properly because it can't be) -

Isn't that like trying to put Him at arms' length from us?
Why are we trying to be so......'formal?"

No it's not putting him at arms length
Referring to Joe Biden as Mr President does that - it is impersonal.
Joe Biden's personal relationships will call him by his name

It's kinda like someone trying to get personally closer to us, like meeting the parents of your fiancee for the first time:
"Call me mom," says your future mother in-law.
And yet, you insist to refer to her as .....................Mrs. Joan Smith.
How do you think that would feel?

Or if your future mother-in-law wanted a personal relationship with you, she tell you to call her Joan.

I would say to distinguish myself from other people, just as God's name, Jehovah, distinguishes Him from other gods...He wants to be known by His name...He wants us to use and appreciate His name...the God of heaven Himself says that He wants to be known by his “memorial” name...

"So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose* to Become.”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’”+ Then God said once more to Moses:“ This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham,+ the God of Isaac,+ and the God of Jacob,+ has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever,+ and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation." Exodus 3:14.15

"Jehovah the God of armies,+
Jehovah is his memorial name." Hosea 12:5

"O Jehovah, your name endures forever.
O Jehovah, your fame* endures for all generations." Psalm 135:13

If say you were your parent's 3 child and had just one younger sibling, I could call you 3 of 4. That would distinguish you from your siblings, but it wouldn't establish any kind of personal relationship between us.

I don’t have a god as such. No single entity. “God” is everything, all, ONE.

Actually, “everything, all, one” are comparisons and are thus incorrect as comparisons by definition must have something with which to be compared.

“God” cannot be described and can only be experienced.

There is no exclusion. “God” has no religion and favors no religion.

That definition is meaningless

By that you mean every atom of matter in the universe ?

Or do you include the vacuum of space as well ?

Why do I have a name? I have many names. They mark the time in my current form of existence.

A title could do that

The man in apartment 1234, marks your current existence.
But why do you need a NAME.

You may have many titles, but you have only one name on your birth certificate...

My name on a birth certificate marks the beginning on my time in this form of existence.

Most of us have many names. Our names reference our relationship with others in this form of existence. Some of my favorite names are "Dad" and "Son" and whatever my wife decides to use to reference me at a given time, well, except sometimes "asshole" and "rotten bastard". But even then it depends on my actions at or around a given time. I don't know what my dogs are saying but I love the way they bark to me and how it varies.

My name on a birth certificate marks the beginning on my time in this form of existence.

Most of us have many names. Our names reference our relationship with others in this form of existence. Some of my favorite names are "Dad" and "Son" and whatever my wife decides to use to reference me at a given time, well, except sometimes "asshole" and "rotten bastard". But even then it depends on my actions at or around a given time. I don't know what my dogs are saying but I love the way they bark to me and how it varies.
Titles...

That definition is meaningless

By that you mean every atom of matter in the universe ?

Or do you include the vacuum of space as well ?

A title could do that

The man in apartment 1234, marks your current existence.
But why do you need a NAME.

To be clear, I said that "God" cannot be defined. I did not and cannot offer a definition of "God". "God" is not a definition but rather an experience.

Atoms, vacuum in space, yes. We are all "God". I prefer the term Universe but even that term is incomplete.

I don't need a name to exist in this time and place. Having a name though certainly makes my present existence much easier than not having a name. My form and yours and everyone's will change.

Titles...
OK, titles, if you like. I answer to most of those names or titles. Unless I am satisfying some government based need it is rare that anyone uses my birth names. Names or titles are markers that reflect my existence in time.

As an example, no one called me Dad when I was 6 years old. By the same token my children have never called me by my full given name.

"God" is a reflection of what you believe. If you used the term "Allah" instead, it would lead me to believe you have a different perspective of "God."

It matters not at all to me what anyone calls Universe or doesn't call Universe. It certainly doesn't matter to Universe.

Reasons to know and use God’s name

• God must feel that his personal name, Jehovah, is important, because he included it thousands of times in the Bible.—Malachi 1:11.
  • God’s Son, Jesus, repeatedly stressed the importance of God’s name. For instance, he prayed to Jehovah: “Let your name be sanctified.”—Matthew 6:9; John 17:6.
  • Those who come to know and use God’s name take the first steps in building a friendship with Jehovah. (Psalm 9:10; Malachi 3:16) Such a relationship enables them to benefit from God’s promise: “Because he has affection for me, I will rescue him. I will protect him because he knows my name.”Psalm 91:14.
  • The Bible acknowledges: “There are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords.’” (1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) Yet it clearly identifies the one true God by his name, Jehovah.—Psalm 83:18.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/502017121?q=god's+name&p=sen

In some South Sea island God's name is: Prince Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh.

It's tautological.
God is Allah's name.
Not really, Allah, in many spellings and pronounciations was used to mean God in many of the areas religions.
Nobody knows excatly when it was adopted into Islam, but it is a proper name.

Reasons to know and use God’s name

• God must feel that his personal name, Jehovah, is important, because he included it thousands of times in the Bible.—Malachi 1:11.
  • God’s Son, Jesus, repeatedly stressed the importance of God’s name. For instance, he prayed to Jehovah: “Let your name be sanctified.”—Matthew 6:9; John 17:6.
  • Those who come to know and use God’s name take the first steps in building a friendship with Jehovah. (Psalm 9:10; Malachi 3:16) Such a relationship enables them to benefit from God’s promise: “Because he has affection for me, I will rescue him. I will protect him because he knows my name.”Psalm 91:14.
  • The Bible acknowledges: “There are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords.’” (1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) Yet it clearly identifies the one true God by his name, Jehovah.—Psalm 83:18.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/502017121?q=god's+name&p=sen

Jesus never once called his father Jehovah in the Bible.

Back
Top Bottom