• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is God's Name

Rich2018

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In the Bible it's mentioned about 7,000 times as YWHW. Was this a name or just Hebrew for "To Be" ?

How did we get to Jehovah from this ? (I've read several accounts, all giving different dates as a first recorded instance of Jehova)

In the King James Bible, YWHW is replaced by "The Lord" in all but one or two instances

So what is God's name ?
The Lord is a title, not a name. Just like Father

The Lord's prayer reads:
"Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name..."

How can God's name be hallowed, if we don't know what it is ?

Is God's name "Jehovah" ?

In the Bible it's mentioned about 7,000 times as YWHW. Was this a name or just Hebrew for "To Be" ?

How did we get to Jehovah from this ? (I've read several accounts, all giving different dates as a first recorded instance of Jehova)

In the King James Bible, YWHW is replaced by "The Lord" in all but one or two instances

So what is God's name ?

The Lord's prayer reads:
"Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name..."

Not in the original texts.

So what is God's name ?

The Lord's prayer reads:
"Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name..."

I think you're misreading it. I think it's saying that his name IS "Hallowed." Kind of a dumb name. He shoulda gone with "Tony."

So what is God's name ?

The Lord's prayer reads:
"Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name..."

It's a secret because because if you knew someone's name, you could curse them.

So what is God's name ?

The Lord's prayer reads:
"Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name..."

There is no English translation for YHWH. The closest that comes to it is YAHWEH.

Yahweh (יהוה) (ya•'we) is the primary Hebrew name of God in the Bible. Jews normally do not pronounce this name, considering it too holy to verbalize. Instead, whenever they encounter this unpronounceable string of consonants, (YHWH) they speak the name Adonai.

Orthodox Jews strenuously avoid mentioning or even writing the divine name, preferring such circumlocutions as "the Holy One," "the Name," or the defective writing "G-d."

In Christian Bibles, Yahweh is usually translated as "the LORD," a rough equivalent to the Hebrew "Adonai."

There are those who view it as wrong, to pronounce God's name...they have turned it into a superstition, more or less...

What Is God’s View?

But do the views of such translators and theologians reflect God’s thinking? After all, God did not choose to hide his name from mankind; rather, he revealed it to them. In the Hebrew portion of the Bible, commonly called the Old Testament, God’s name, Jehovah, appears more than 6,800 times. The Bible record shows that the first human pair, Adam and Eve, were among those who knew and used God’s name. On giving birth to her first son, Eve proclaimed: “I have produced a man with the aid of Jehovah.”—Genesis 4:1.

Centuries later, when God called Moses to lead the nation of Israel out of slavery in Egypt, Moses asked God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they do say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” Moses may well have wondered whether God would reveal himself by some new name. God said to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13, 15) Clearly, the true God did not feel that his name was too holy for his people to pronounce.

In fact, God’s faithful servants of every generation have freely and respectfully pronounced God’s name. Boaz, a loyal servant of God, regularly greeted his workers in the field with the words, “Jehovah be with you.” Did the workers express shock at such a greeting? No. The account relates: “In turn they would say to him: ‘Jehovah bless you.’” (Ruth 2:4) Instead of viewing this greeting as an affront to God, they viewed it as a way of giving him glory and honor in their daily affairs. In this same spirit, Jesus taught his disciples to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.”—Matthew 6:9.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101999175

There are those who view it as wrong, to pronounce God's name...they have turned it into a superstition, more or less...

What Is God’s View?

But do the views of such translators and theologians reflect God’s thinking? After all, God did not choose to hide his name from mankind; rather, he revealed it to them. In the Hebrew portion of the Bible, commonly called the Old Testament, God’s name, Jehovah, appears more than 6,800 times. The Bible record shows that the first human pair, Adam and Eve, were among those who knew and used God’s name. On giving birth to her first son, Eve proclaimed: “I have produced a man with the aid of Jehovah.”—Genesis 4:1.

Centuries later, when God called Moses to lead the nation of Israel out of slavery in Egypt, Moses asked God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they do say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?” Moses may well have wondered whether God would reveal himself by some new name. God said to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13, 15) Clearly, the true God did not feel that his name was too holy for his people to pronounce.

In fact, God’s faithful servants of every generation have freely and respectfully pronounced God’s name. Boaz, a loyal servant of God, regularly greeted his workers in the field with the words, “Jehovah be with you.” Did the workers express shock at such a greeting? No. The account relates: “In turn they would say to him: ‘Jehovah bless you.’” (Ruth 2:4) Instead of viewing this greeting as an affront to God, they viewed it as a way of giving him glory and honor in their daily affairs. In this same spirit, Jesus taught his disciples to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.”—Matthew 6:9.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101999175

It is equally superstitious to think that God has a certain name and is hurt if it isn't used..

So . . . you're citing superstitions to support a claim that your assertions aren't superstitious ??!!??

How is that supposed to work?
I think you are confusing following direction from God in making His name known with superstition...Romans 10...

13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”+

14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?

How Bible truth sets free: In Bible times, some of God’s own people became superstitious, even to the point of worshipping “the god of Good Luck” and “the god of Destiny”! How did Jehovah God view this? “You kept doing what was bad in my eyes,” he said. (Isaiah 65:11, 12) God felt the same way about people consulting spirit mediums for guidance in life: “Anyone who consults a spirit medium . . . is something detestable to Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 18:11, 12.

Superstitions and spirit mediums are harmful because they are “machinations of the Devil,” the one whom Jesus called “the father of the lie.” (Ephesians 6:11; John 8:44) If you wanted guidance on an important matter, would you consult a liar? Of course not! You are wise, therefore, to avoid anything connected with “the father of the lie.”

The key to making sound decisions in life is wisdom based on an accurate knowledge of Bible principles and God’s purpose for mankind. “Jehovah himself gives wisdom; out of his mouth there are knowledge and discernment,” says Proverbs 2:6.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102012165

I think you are confusing following direction from God in making His name known with superstition...Romans 10...

14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?

How Bible truth sets free: In Bible times, some of God’s own people became superstitious, even to the point of worshipping “the god of Good Luck” and “the god of Destiny”! How did Jehovah God view this? “You kept doing what was bad in my eyes,” he said. (Isaiah 65:11, 12) God felt the same way about people consulting spirit mediums for guidance in life: “Anyone who consults a spirit medium . . . is something detestable to Jehovah.”—Deuteronomy 18:11, 12.

Superstitions and spirit mediums are harmful because they are “machinations of the Devil,” the one whom Jesus called “the father of the lie.” (Ephesians 6:11; John 8:44) If you wanted guidance on an important matter, would you consult a liar? Of course not! You are wise, therefore, to avoid anything connected with “the father of the lie.”

The key to making sound decisions in life is wisdom based on an accurate knowledge of Bible principles and God’s purpose for mankind. “Jehovah himself gives wisdom; out of his mouth there are knowledge and discernment,” says Proverbs 2:6.

In bible times, people did not have a bible. Your reliance on the bible is superstitious.

Exactly. Your response confirms my post. Attempting to buttress superstitious beliefs by citing other superstitious beliefs.
Thanks for making my point.

Exactly. Your response confirms my post. Attempting to buttress superstitious beliefs by citing other superstitious beliefs.
Thanks for making my point.
Thanks for making mine...

His name is "Lord Bob." It's written right here in this holy book:

360.jpg

God's name is ineffable.

Back
Top Bottom