• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is deadnaming, and how to avoid it

One of the problems I have when writing about Chelsea Manning is when (if at all) to use Bradley Manning, her former name, and the name she was convicted under. While you can argue that Manning was Chelsea all the time and just didn't know, I run into the problems when discussing the "legal entity formerly known as Bradley Manning" - i.e., conviction before transition, court cases, support for Julian Assange prior to her transitioning, etc.

I realize this is a delicate issue. How would you approach this?

One of the problems I have when writing about Chelsea Manning is when (if at all) to use Bradley Manning, her former name, and the name she was convicted under. While you can argue that Manning was Chelsea all the time and just didn't know, I run into the problems when discussing the "legal entity formerly known as Bradley Manning" - i.e., conviction before transition, court cases, support for Julian Assange prior to her transitioning, etc.

So I come across this problem too when in reference to my sister who was my brother growing up until about 20/21. It is easy to call her my sister now and to refer to things she has done/is doing since being an adult as "she did this" or with feminine pronouns and/or her name. It is much harder to reconcile my memories of her growing up as a boy. It is harder to explain that my sister had to share her room with our male teenage cousin rather than my brother shared the room or other similar incidents, like her giving the shirt she was wearing to my best friend, leaving her bare chested.

Not just cis guys, even the transwomen are becoming transphobic. I guess this TERF still believes in the dictionary. Doesn't she know dictionaries are transphobic?
View attachment 67328851

Are you normally startled by human beings you’ve defined as less than that having differing opinions, just like the real thing!?

I'm with you on this one. I think it is perfectly appropriate to use Bradley Manning when discussing the historical context (because you won't find contemporary articles otherwise).

Similarly, I had a person we'll call "George" who lived with us when he was in high school and junior college, but who has since transitioned. George lived with us, but our current friend now has a female name. I seem to have an unusually high number of transgender friends, so it is a legitimate conundrum. I've never had a problem with discussing their past life with the old name (nor have they), when it is contextual, nor any difficulty being respectful when using their current name.

Last edited:
So I come across this problem too when in reference to my sister who was my brother growing up until about 20/21. It is easy to call her my sister now and to refer to things she has done/is doing since being an adult as "she did this" or with feminine pronouns and/or her name. It is much harder to reconcile my memories of her growing up as a boy. It is harder to explain that my sister had to share her room with our male teenage cousin rather than my brother shared the room or other similar incidents, like her giving the shirt she was wearing to my best friend, leaving her bare chested.
Family photos sometimes require explanations, too.

Family photos sometimes require explanations, too.
My conservative FIL met my sister when we both went to visit my father at the VA hospital when he had surgery (my FIL was driving me since I didn't have a license at the time). It was awkward and I just wasn't sure how to bring it up to him (and I do realize it was a mistake for me to put that off in telling him). I told my husband before we married, not long after we started dating in fact that my sister was transgender. But then she was also a bridesmaid, like the other two of us sisters, to my other sister's wedding (I have 5 siblings total and basically it is me, the transgender sister, then sister, brother, sister, brother). Not sure how comfortable my brother in law's family was of her in that role. My BIL though knew and seemed fine with it. My sister is over 6 feet tall.

I'm not going to "unignore" a bunch of... ahem, folks... to read their ugly comments, but ... I find it hilarious that supposed "libertarian" approaches are rapidly abandoned when gender issues arise. A true and respectful "libertarian" would abide by the preferred pronoun/name convention, marriage choices, because it is a matter of individual "choice", and not social imposition. It outs the ersatz nature of their self-proclaimed labels when they are so inconsistent.

You are spewing delusional nonsense.

Nope I am speaking the truth. Your ilk are nothing but Anti-American, insurrection supporting wastes of air.

Nope I am speaking the truth. Your ilk are nothing but Anti-American, insurrection supporting wastes of air.
Wrong as usual you are, and even lying to boot.

Wrong as usual you are, and even lying to boot.

Nope I'm telling the truth unlike you. Your iLOL comments are moronic. Trump supporters LOST. Good riddance to those filth.

Nope I'm telling the truth unlike you. Your iLOL comments are moronic.
Besides being wrong as usual, you are now projecting.

Besides being wrong as usual, you are now projecting.

projection and lying is all on you. It’s all you have now that your orange retard Trump lost.

projection and lying is all on you.
How silly. Your projection doesn't make it all on me. So you are again wrong, as usual.

Back
Top Bottom