• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Is Christian Nationalism?

Christian nationalism does not mean a Christian theocracy like the Vatican. Christians in general support enlightenment ideals and tolerance - which you will never find in Islamic countries.

TR was a very religious person, a racist, and a nationalist. He supported all kinds of dumbass, leftist policies consistent with nationalism:

Nationalism isn't leftist.

I am a Christian and a bit of a nationalist, but that doesn’t mean I am a Christian nationalist.

Having two beliefs does not mean one melds those beliefs.

True, but you are still going to vote like a Christian and you are going to vote like a nationalist.

I think the US laws should be secular but allow me free to live my faith. If my neighbor doesn’t agree with my faith, that’s their thing. I don’t mess with them and they don’t mess with me.

Christians in general are very tolerant, just like you are.

True, but you are still going to vote like a Christian and you are going to vote like a nationalist.
That is actually categorically untrue. Very little in Christianity supports the idea of modern politics beyond mentioning (in summary) that politics is in the worldly sphere and one should seek to obey just laws and rulers, also there is an admonition to endure unjust rulers and trust God with that whole situation. In terms of how Christians vote, it depends on the Christian. Inner city Christians will vote differently, for example.

Most of American Christian Nationalism is pretty much a perversion of Christianity and is a result of people reading into scripture their own biases and desires. Whereas I think its better to take a step back, realize I don't know everything (and nobody on earth does) and do what I can to walk with Jesus in the way I as an individual understand it. What I don't do (and what Christian Nationalists try to do) is try to set up my idea of a utopia on earth. That's God's role, not mine. I am just here to do my best with my divine guide and leader.
Maybe or maybe not, I have no data either way. There's a lot of assholes in my group though, unfortunately.

Last edited:
All of the progressive presidents held this view. Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and FDR were all Christians and they were all nationalists.

Which tells us only about the flexible use of nationalism, not that it is inherently leftist in nature, which it isn't.

Which tells us only about the flexible use of nationalism, not that it is inherently leftist in nature, which it isn't.

You need to take a course in basic logic.

No one I am aware of has ever claimed that nationalism is inherently leftist.

You need to take a course in basic logic.

No one I am aware of has ever claimed that nationalism is inherently leftist.

But you said that Roosevelt had leftist policies that fit into nationalism as if it was something significant. It is not significant. Then when I said nationalism was not leftist you said I was wrong. Did you have any valid point to make about nationalism or were you just on an anti-leftist jag?

Christian nationalism does not mean a Christian theocracy like the Vatican. Christians in general support enlightenment ideals and tolerance - which you will never find in Islamic countries.

TR was a very religious person, a racist, and a nationalist. He supported all kinds of dumbass, leftist policies consistent with nationalism:

Christian nationalists do not support enlightened views or tolerance. They seek a theocracy.

Christian Nationalists are not “Christians in general”. They don’t support tolerance.

Christian Evangelicals and conservative Catholics are about as far from tolerance and enlightenment ideals as one can get these days.

Christian Nationalists are not “Christians in general”. They don’t support tolerance.

Christian nationalists do not support enlightened views or tolerance. They seek a theocracy.

From the OP:

Christian nationalists do not reject the First Amendment and do not advocate for theocracy, but they do believe that Christianity should enjoy a privileged position in the public square.

Regarding tolerance, the political left is far more intolerant than Christians will ever be. In the US today, the people most trying to suppress free speech are leftists, not Christians.

From the OP:

Regarding tolerance, the political left is far more intolerant than Christians will ever be. In the US today, the people most trying to suppress free speech are leftists, not Christians.
The OP is wrong.

From the OP:

The Christian Nationalist concept of “freedom of religion” is limited to “freedom to decide which denomination of (preferably Protestant) Christianity you want to follow”.

They may not believe in making other religions de jure illegal (although a lot of them do), they absolutely support de facto laws and policies to restrict the practice of non-Christian religions.

Conservative Christians are not tolerant. That is why the Klan exists that wraps the bible around bigotry. There is a reason why they burn a cross as a symbol of their hate. Christian nationalists are not tolerant. fundamentalist and evangelicals are not tolerant. Southern Baptists only recently took responsibility for their bigotry in slavery and the civil rights era. Their goal is to enforce their draconian religious beliefs as secular law, which violates both religious clauses and the free speech clause of the First Amendment.

Catholics and to a lesser extent Mormons are only tolerant on select issues.

The Christian Nationalist concept of “freedom of religion” is limited to “freedom to decide which denomination of (preferably Protestant) Christianity you want to follow”.

They may not believe in making other religions de jure illegal (although a lot of them do), they absolutely support de facto laws and policies to restrict the practice of non-Christian religions.

Provide some examples.

From the OP:

This is their own words and they are hypocrites. Or really bad liars.,

Christian nationalism is the belief that the American nation is defined by Christianity, and that the government should take active steps to keep it that way. Popularly, Christian nationalists assert that America is and must remain a “Christian nation”—not merely as an observation about American history, but as a prescriptive program for what America must continue to be in the future. Scholars like Samuel Huntington have made a similar argument: that America is defined by its “Anglo-Protestant” past and that we will lose our identity and our freedom if we do not preserve our cultural inheritance.

This is impossible without a theocracy. They admit that they want christian laws. That is a theocracy.

A privileged position (for their own sect) of Christianity violates both religious clauses that keep religion out of government and treats all religions and the lack of belief as equals.
Christian nationalists do not reject the First Amendment and do not advocate for theocracy, but they do believe that Christianity should enjoy a privileged position in the public square. The term “Christian nationalism,” is relatively new, and its advocates generally do not use it of themselves, but it accurately describes American nationalists who believe American identity is inextricable from Christianity.

Conservative Christians are not tolerant.

The claim is for Christians, not Republican Christians. More than half of Democrats are Christians.

That is why the Klan exists that wraps the bible around bigotry. There is a reason why they burn a cross as a symbol of their hate.

So all Christians are cross burners? Gimme a break, and remember Democrats were the party of the KKK.

Christian nationalists are not tolerant. fundamentalist and evangelicals are not tolerant. Southern Baptists only recently took responsibility for their bigotry in slavery and the civil rights era. Their goal is to enforce their draconian religious beliefs as secular law, which violates both religious clauses and the free speech clause of the First Amendment.

Provide some examples.

Catholics and to a lesser extent Mormons are only tolerant on select issues.

Back
Top Bottom