master political analyst
- Dec 3, 2009
- Reaction score
- The Golden State
- Political Leaning
12:05pm ET - Here’s what is impacted during this shutdown.
Federal agencies get their funding from 12 appropriations bills, and only five of those have been enacted for the current fiscal year. That means funding for agencies covered by seven of those appropriations bills has now lapsed.
Those appropriations titles (which represent roughly one-fourth of the $1.3 trillion federal discretionary budget) are:
- Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies;
- Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies;
- Financial Service and General Government;
- Homeland Security;
- Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies;
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs; and
- Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies.
But, Congress isn't totally dysfunctional. It can still act on such matters of great importance as the CURD act.