• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a soul

I am talking about the memory of your soul, which does live on beyond our death and return on reincarnation. They are impulses or fabrications of the subconscious. Saṅkhāra

Life and death are real. Having a soul that survives beyond death is a belief. What's more important, belief or facts?

ricksfolly

The ancient greeks would study a dead human body (that died of 'natural causes') and did not see anything different from the connections in the dead body (all bones, veins, organs) and a living body - everything was in tact. No bumps or bruises or parts missing. So what was the difference between the dead an living? That's what they call the soul. What happened to the soul, that which makes the dead body live, after death was up to debate. But the existence of the soul was simply obvious. Simply because it exists doesn't necessarily mean that it exists beyond your body.

Exactly... The only thoughts that remain after one dies are the memories of him while he was alive.

ricksfolly

Man can make his own heaven - its a beautiful day - and he can make his hell. Those without a soul cannot see the heaven, which is all around us.
Ignorance and fear = hell
Knowledge = heaven...
sounds and reads good to me, but is this true??

Not off hand, just caught a glimpse of these new theories gaining popularity from the science channel watching Through the Wormhole where they also speak of how physics cannot explain what put all the energy and matter into the singularity that created our Universe....which is something I have been saying for years but finally heard it from someone else.

Everyone is entitled to their theories, scientists and amateurs alike, but that doesn't mean we have to treat them as fact.

ricksfolly

What's more important, belief or facts? ricksfolly>>

Belief.>>

You're honest and forthright, I'll give you that.

As an engineer I only work with facts so you know where I stand.

What about your occupation, does it take belief to function?

ricksfolly

What's more important, belief or facts? ricksfolly>>

Belief.>>

You're honest and forthright, I'll give you that.

As an engineer I only work with facts so you know where I stand.

What about your occupation, does it take belief to function?

ricksfolly

I am a software engineer in military satellite communications. My undergrad was Physics. I know facts well. But being a good developer requires more than rational linear thought. Producing a good design requires non-linear thinking and holistic rumination. Like science itself, it is both an artform and an engineering discipline. There are a set of design principles I follow that can be considered beliefs. -
  1. separate levels of abstraction
  2. convert raw data to its highest form of abstraction as soon as possible
  3. no inner classes
  4. remove if statements by parameterizing code with strategy or state objects
  5. etc...
Belief is more important than reason. It is life!

I am a software engineer in military satellite communications. My undergrad was Physics. I know facts well. But being a good developer requires more than rational linear thought. Producing a good design requires non-linear thinking and holistic rumination. Like science itself, it is both an artform and an engineering discipline. There are a set of design principles I follow that can be considered beliefs. -
  1. separate levels of abstraction
  2. convert raw data to its highest form of abstraction as soon as possible
  3. no inner classes
  4. remove if statements by parameterizing code with strategy or state objects
  5. etc...
Belief is more important than reason. It is life!

Interesting...so what's your take on the Chinese developments on knocking our satellites out....also what is your take on the fact that the Chinese are passing America like it is standing still in both economical and military status?

Oh...both my brothers are high ranking military officers with my youngest brother having an I.Q. of over 200pts

Last edited:
A soul is what makes us human. It is what one sells to the devil to get a reality TV show or sell music or other **** when one has no talent.

A soul is what Shang Tsung takes from you if you can remember to hold the L button then up down up B (or A I forget been like 15 years)

A soul is a lot of other much more complicated things though I wish not to discuss on here.

Interesting...so what's your take on the Chinese developments on knocking our satellites out....also what is your take on the fact that the Chinese are passing America like it is standing still in both economical and military status?

Oh...both my brothers are high ranking military officers with my youngest brother having an I.Q. of over 200pts

Ok, this is my third ****ing attempt to answer this post. It will be short.

The US will develop counter measures to "killer satellites". Let the space race begin.

China is nowhere close to the US in economic or military spheres:

GDP:

1 United States 14,256,275
2 Japan 5,068,059
3 People's Republic of China 4,908,982[2]

Military: no blue water navy. No effective air force. No projection of power. Too many internal problems. China is modernizing its Army.

Ok, this is my third ****ing attempt to answer this post. It will be short.

The US will develop counter measures to "killer satellites". Let the space race begin.

China is nowhere close to the US in economic or military spheres:

GDP:

2 Japan 5,068,059

Military: no blue water navy. No effective air force. No projection of power. Too many internal problems. China is modernizing its Army.

Wow...not only are there marine "jarheads" but there are intellectual jarheads too!!!!!

If you had a ****ing IQ just a little higher you could do the ****ing math behind what is going to make China the biggest superpower in the world.

If you had an IQ just a little higher you would realized that it is imminent that China will become the most powerful and advanced superpower in the world.

Last edited:
Wow...not only are there marine "jarheads" but there are intellectual jarheads too!!!!!

If you had a ****ing IQ just a little higher you could do the ****ing math behind what is going to make China the biggest superpower in the world.

If you had an IQ just a little higher you would realized that it is imminent that China will become the most powerful and advanced superpower in the world.

I am not sure what caused this outburst. Perhaps you misunderstood my use of the word ****ing. I was referring to my mouse and the button on it that flips me back a page and looses my post edit text. I did it 2 times trying to write a response.

China is limited by it's internal situation and by it's energy and resource needs. It will not be able to grow 3.5 times it's economic size, even assuming we stay still.

"China is a growing potential threat". This is the line of reasoning that the Pentagon uses to justify building a new aircraft carrier and investing in next generation jet fighters, bombers, and intelligence assets (satellites). The industry certainly approves of this perspective as it makes them money.

The real threat is failed and failing states and tin-pot dictatorships in the Gap and the non-state actors they generate. The next real threat is Russia taking over Eastern Europe, again.

China overtook Japan as the world's second largest economy earlier this week.

China overtook Japan as the world's second largest economy earlier this week.

Not surprising, they were very close together. I don't recall where I got the data but it was from 2009 I think and I think it is in thousands.

2 Japan 5,068,059

So $160 million apart. Only $9.2 trillion away from us.

The real threat is failed and failing states and tin-pot dictatorships in the Gap and the non-state actors they generate. The next real threat is Russia taking over Eastern Europe, again.

What about the fact that Russia has been working with China and other nations to form a geographically strategic alliance?

Oh you said something about China not having a "Blue Water Navy" but they sure spend time researching and building submarines when we are focused on carriers. Plus China has their carrier killer missile which we have no defense against and just one hit can destroy our biggest carrier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom