• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a racist?

Head Start and No Child Left Behind. They failed for the genetic reasons I have mentioned, but they were tried at enormous tax payer expense.

Head Start did not fail. It does exactly what it was intended to do, which is to provide early childhood education, health, nutrition, and parental involvement services, which thousands of low income families desperately need.

As for No Child Left Behind, I'll not argue with that one. I don't think anyone enjoys taking standardized tests. I certainly don't miss them.

Head Start did not fail. It does exactly what it was intended to do, which is to provide early childhood education, health, nutrition, and parental involvement services, which thousands of low income families desperately need.

As for No Child Left Behind, I'll not argue with that one. I don't think anyone enjoys taking standardized tests. I certainly don't miss them.

The benefits of Head Start have been slight and they have not lasted. No effort to close the race gap has been effective. I think we should stop wasting tax money on that. There is rarely any point in trying to educate the illegitimate children of unmarried welfare mothers, drug dealers, and violent street criminals. They inherit the bad genes of their parents.

That is not the view of Charles Murray, Jared Taylor, and J. Philippe Rushton. That would imply that every Negro is less intelligent than every member of every other race. Charles Murray, Jared Taylor, and J. Philippe Rushton believe that average differences in intelligence exist between the races, and that they are caused primarily by genetic differences.

The studies I have read say IQ is fluid over generations, and that as children are removed from traumatic situations and parenting styles improve with less stress, those IQ'S rise in subsequent generations. There is no such thing as hereditary influences working in a vacuum; nature and nurture are always at play. That black people have lower cognitive functioning due to unalterable genetic factors has been disproven.

The benefits of Head Start have been slight and they have not lasted. No effort to close the race gap has been effective. I think we should stop wasting tax money on that. There is rarely any point in trying to educate the illegitimate children of unmarried welfare mothers, drug dealers, and violent street criminals. They inherit the bad genes of their parents.

It seems very clear to me that the real reason you want to deny assistance, is because you think that they don't deserve it. Your emotions, your distaste for black culture, are what is in control here. Not logic or reason.

Head Start is a great program and many programs wrap daycare services around it so parents have a safe, positive environment for their children while they work. I have seen Head Start take severely neglected, semi feral children and bring them up to speed. In academic terms, the program puts Head Start kids on par with other third graders, but from that point forward gains are lost because no matter how good a program is, it can't override the child's environment especially since the program is only through preschool. But at least the playing field is even up to age 8 or 9.

Head Start is worth every penny and then some, imo.

The studies I have read say IQ is fluid over generations, and that as children are removed from traumatic situations and parenting styles improve with less stress, those IQ'S rise in subsequent generations. There is no such thing as hereditary influences working in a vacuum; nature and nurture are always at play. That black people have lower cognitive functioning due to unalterable genetic factors has been disproven.

If black people do not have "lower cognitive functioning due to unalterable genetic factors," why do they still lag behind whites and Orientals, two generations after the civil rights legislation was signed? Why has every effort to close the race gap failed?

Head Start is a great program and many programs wrap daycare services around it so parents have a safe, positive environment for their children while they work. I have seen Head Start take severely neglected, semi feral children and bring them up to speed. In academic terms, the program puts Head Start kids on par with other third graders, but from that point forward gains are lost because no matter how good a program is, it can't override the child's environment especially since the program is only through preschool. But at least the playing field is even up to age 8 or 9.

Head Start is worth every penny and then some, imo.

Adopted children have IQ's that resemble their biological parents, rather than the people who adopt them.

It seems very clear to me that the real reason you want to deny assistance, is because you think that they don't deserve it. Your emotions, your distaste for black culture, are what is in control here. Not logic or reason.

"It seems very clear to me that the real reason you want to deny" my assertions is that you dislike what I say. Nevertheless, I can substantiate my opinions by demonstrating that racial differences in average intelligence have a durability that strongly indicates genetic causation. Those who believe that the races are intrinsically equal in average intellectual potential believe something for which there is no evidence at all.

If black people do not have "lower cognitive functioning due to unalterable genetic factors," why do they still lag behind whites and Orientals, two generations after the civil rights legislation was signed? Why has every effort to close the race gap failed?

Legislation is just that--a law which needs to be enforced with the spirit in which it was intended. Are you seriously saying that the legislation passed in the 60's somehow changed the racist dynamic on the ground overnight? I remember very worried conversations among the adults in those days about the loss of property values if blacks were allowed to buy in their neighborhood--Trump himself was cognizant of that and was hand slapped for it at the time. He's only one example.

Closing the race gap hasn't failed, we're just not all the way there yet. If you look at black urban environments today, we still see out of proportion poverty and all the ills that go with it regardless of race.

Be patient a bit longer. It is working, it is a tough row to hoe considering all that went on before it, and yes, those factors in their history do impact the present.

Adopted children have IQ's that resemble their biological parents, rather than the people who adopt them.

Yes. It is their children whose IQ's rise.

Legislation is just that--a law which needs to be enforced with the spirit in which it was intended. Are you seriously saying that the legislation passed in the 60's somehow changed the racist dynamic on the ground overnight?

Yes. Is exactly what I am saying. Trillions of dollars in welfare money and affirmative action have not worked.

I remember very worried conversations among the adults in those days about the loss of property values if blacks were allowed to buy in their neighborhood.

When blacks move into white neighborhoods crime rates go up. Property values go down. This has happened in white neighborhood after white neighborhood. White flight is rational. It is not caused by irrational color prejudice.

Yes. Is exactly what I am saying. Trillions of dollars in welfare money and affirmative action have not worked.

It is working. If I dig up the facts for you comparing 1960 and now, would you actually read the reports?

rac·ism (rā′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

But having said that, IMO, there is only 1 race. The human race.

Many ethnics and cultures.

"The Inequality Taboo," by Charles Murray, Commentary, September 2005

The Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin originated the idea of race as a social construct in 1972, arguing that the genetic differences across races were so trivial that no scientist working exclusively with genetic data would sort people into hlacks, whites, or Asians. In his words, "racial classification is now seen to be of virtually no genetic or taxonomic significance."

Lewontin's position, which quickly became a tenet of political correctness, carried with it a potential means of being falsified. If he was correct, then a statistical analysis of genetic markers would not produce clusters corresponding to common racial labels.

In the last few years, that test has become feasible, and now we know that Lewontin was wrong. Several analyses have confirmed the genetic reality of group identities going under the label of race or ethnicity. In the most recent, published this year, all but five of the 3,636 subjects fell into the cluster of genetic markers corresponding to their self identified ethnic group. When a statistical procedure, blind to physical characteristics and working exclusively with genedc information, classifies 99.9 percent of the individuals in a large sample in the same way they classify themselves, it is hard to argue that race is imaginary.

http://www.iapsych.com/wj3ewok/LinkedDocuments/Murray2005.pdf

------

Let me put this in my own words: a person's race can usually be determined by appearance and always by DNA analysis. I will add that if you know a person's race you can make reasonably accurate assumptions about the person's intelligence, as well as criminal and sexual behavior.

Prejudice is the result of previous experience. If proximity to Negroes dispelled prejudice against them, Southern whites would be the least prejudiced whites in the United States. The civil rights legislation was forced on whites with extensive experience with blacks by whites with little experience.

I used to be one of those whites with little experience. I was woke before the word was coined. Proximity has changed my attitude.

Last edited:
If you can verify that with a credible study, please do so.

The Racial Achievement Gap, Segregated Schools, and Segregated Neighborhoods – A Constitutional Insult | Economic Policy Institute

Sharkey concludes that “the parent’s environment during [her own] childhood may be more important than the child’s own environment.” He calculates that “living in poor neighborhoods over two consecutive generations reduces children’s cognitive skills by roughly eight or nine points … roughly equivalent to missing two to four years of schooling” (Sharkey 2013, pp. 129-131).

Here's Sharkey's study
Sharkey, P. (2013). Stuck in place: Urban neighborhoods and the end of progress toward racial equality. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.

"The Inequality Taboo," by Charles Murray, Commentary, September 2005

The Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin originated the idea of race as a social construct in 1972, arguing that the genetic differences across races were so trivial that no scientist working exclusively with genetic data would sort people into hlacks, whites, or Asians. In his words, "racial classification is now seen to be of virtually no genetic or taxonomic significance."

Lewontin's position, which quickly became a tenet of political correctness, carried with it a potential means of being falsified. If he was correct, then a statistical analysis of genetic markers would not produce clusters corresponding to common racial labels.

In the last few years, that test has become feasible, and now we know that Lewontin was wrong. Several analyses have confirmed the genetic reality of group identities going under the label of race or ethnicity. In the most recent, published this year, all but five of the 3,636 subjects fell into the cluster of genetic markers corresponding to their self identified ethnic group. When a statistical procedure, blind to physical characteristics and working exclusively with genedc information, classifies 99.9 percent of the individuals in a large sample in the same way they classify themselves, it is hard to argue that race is imaginary.

http://www.iapsych.com/wj3ewok/LinkedDocuments/Murray2005.pdf

------

Let me put this in my own words: a person's race can usually be determined by appearance and always by DNA analysis. I will add that if you know a person's race you can make reasonably accurate assumptions about the person's intelligence, as well as criminal and sexual behavior.

Prejudice is the result of previous experience. If proximity to Negroes dispelled prejudice against them, Southern whites would be the least prejudiced whites in the United States. The civil rights legislation was forced on whites with extensive experience with blacks by whites with little experience.

I used to be one of those whites with little experience. I was woke before the word was coined. Proximity has changed my attitude.

Wow. Don't you realize what an inaccurate view of the world that leaves you with? I don't like to jump to conclusions, but you're talking like a white supremacist.

Wow. Don't you realize what an inaccurate view of the world that leaves you with? I don't like to jump to conclusions, but you're talking like a white supremacist.

I am not a white supremacist. I am a yellow supremacist, although I am white myself. Orientals tend to be more intelligent than whites. They tend to be more obedient to the law, and more monogamous. I am confident that average racial differences between whites and Orientals are caused genetically.

I am not a white supremacist. I am a yellow supremacist, although I am white myself. Orientals tend to be more intelligent than whites. They tend to be more obedient to the law, and more monogamous. I am confident that average racial differences between whites and Orientals are caused genetically.

Well, read the abstract you asked for and you'll at least have another side of the story on how IQ responds generationally. There is no such thing as hereditary factors working alone in a vacuum. Honest.

The Racial Achievement Gap, Segregated Schools, and Segregated Neighborhoods – A Constitutional Insult | Economic Policy Institute

Sharkey concludes that “the parent’s environment during [her own] childhood may be more important than the child’s own environment.” He calculates that “living in poor neighborhoods over two consecutive generations reduces children’s cognitive skills by roughly eight or nine points … roughly equivalent to missing two to four years of schooling” (Sharkey 2013, pp. 129-131).

Here's Sharkey's study
Sharkey, P. (2013). Stuck in place: Urban neighborhoods and the end of progress toward racial equality. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.

I just read the article. Richard Rothstein makes this assertion:

"We cannot substantially improve the performance of the poorest African American students – the “truly disadvantaged,” in William Julius Wilson’s phrase – by school reform alone. It must be addressed primarily by improving the social and economic conditions that bring too many children to school unprepared to take advantage of what even the best schools have to offer."

Unfortunately, he provides no evidence that "improving the social and economic conditions" of black children will improve their academic performance. For decades the Washington, DC public school system has spent more money per student than all but two or three state public school systems. Nevertheless, test scores in the Washington, DC public school system are lower than for any state. It is also true that the percentage of Negroes attending DC public schools is higher than the percentage of Negroes attending public schools in any state.

Rothstein suggests that improving the home environment of blacks would improve their academic performance. I am not sure how this can be done. Since the War on Poverty was declared in 1964, about thirty trillion dollars has been spent on anti poverty programs. The only significant difference is that the black rate of illegitimacy has risen dramatically since 1964.

Well, read the abstract you asked for and you'll at least have another side of the story on how IQ responds generationally. There is no such thing as hereditary factors working alone in a vacuum. Honest.

You do not prove that by asserting it. All the scientific evidence is on my side of this argument.

I just read the article. Richard Rothstein makes this assertion:

"We cannot substantially improve the performance of the poorest African American students – the “truly disadvantaged,” in William Julius Wilson’s phrase – by school reform alone. It must be addressed primarily by improving the social and economic conditions that bring too many children to school unprepared to take advantage of what even the best schools have to offer."

Unfortunately, he provides no evidence that "improving the social and economic conditions" of black children will improve their academic performance. For decades the Washington, DC public school system has spent more money per student than all but two or three state public school systems. Nevertheless, test scores in the Washington, DC public school system are lower than for any state. It is also true that the percentage of Negroes attending DC public schools is higher than the percentage of Negroes attending public schools in any state.

Rothstein suggests that improving the home environment of blacks would improve their academic performance. I am not sure how this can be done. Since the War on Poverty was declared in 1964, about thirty trillion dollars has been spent on anti poverty programs. The only significant difference is that the black rate of illegitimacy has risen dramatically since 1964.

Here's one report that outlines the actual improvements.

African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968 but still lag behind whites in overall educational attainment. More than 90 percent of younger African Americans (ages 25 to 29) have graduated from high school, compared with just over half in 1968—which means they’ve nearly closed the gap with white high school graduation rates. They are also more than twice as likely to have a college degree as in 1968 but are still half as likely as young whites to have a college degree.

The substantial progress in educational attainment of African Americans has been accompanied by significant absolute improvements in wages, incomes, wealth, and health since 1968. But black workers still make only 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by white workers, African Americans are 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites, and the median white family has almost 10 times as much wealth as the median black family.

With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.

50 years after the Kerner Commission: African Americans are better off in many ways but are still disadvantaged by racial inequality | Economic Policy Institute

You do not prove that by asserting it. All the scientific evidence is on my side of this argument.

Actually, that is not true. I suspect that you are going to hold with the now debunked theory that heredity alone informs IQ, because that fits with your general attitude toward blacks. Researchers base their findings on what they know, and others add to it. If you are open to scientific studies and their findings, you need to continue having an open mind to new findings. Nothing is set in stone in science. We need to keep up.

African Americans today are much better educated than they were in 1968 but still lag behind whites in overall educational attainment. More than 90 percent of younger African Americans (ages 25 to 29) have graduated from high school, compared with just over half in 1968—which means they’ve nearly closed the gap with white high school graduation rates. They are also more than twice as likely to have a college degree as in 1968 but are still half as likely as young whites to have a college degree.

The substantial progress in educational attainment of African Americans has been accompanied by significant absolute improvements in wages, incomes, wealth, and health since 1968. But black workers still make only 82.5 cents on every dollar earned by white workers, African Americans are 2.5 times as likely to be in poverty as whites, and the median white family has almost 10 times as much wealth as the median black family.

With respect to homeownership, unemployment, and incarceration, America has failed to deliver any progress for African Americans over the last five decades. In these areas, their situation has either failed to improve relative to whites or has worsened. In 2017 the black unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, up from 6.7 percent in 1968, and is still roughly twice the white unemployment rate. In 2015, the black homeownership rate was just over 40 percent, virtually unchanged since 1968, and trailing a full 30 points behind the white homeownership rate, which saw modest gains over the same period. And the share of African Americans in prison or jail almost tripled between 1968 and 2016 and is currently more than six times the white incarceration rate.

50 years after the Kerner Commission: African Americans are better off in many ways but are still disadvantaged by racial inequality | Economic Policy Institute

Here's one from Brookings. Although its objective is arguing for reparations, it contains the real improvements that have been made since 68. Let's not get into the reparations thing. It's an idea whose time has not come, if it ever will.

Why we need reparations for Black Americans

There is no evidence in what you posted that black performance has improved. I suspect that improvements in black achievement have been caused by social promotion and affirmative action policies.

Charles Murray has acknowledged that black academic performance improved slightly during the 1970's a and the 1980's, and that it has remained constant since. He also suspects that there have been no improvements in black G, or native intelligence. If an nonathletic boy begins an exercise program, he will get into better shape, but he still will not make the football team.

Back
Top Bottom