• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a Nationalist?

Interesting definitions. They differ from my initial definition and cast a more positive light on nationalism.
When nationalism is “loyalty and devotion to a nation” and own-country first politics, how would you call the attitudes I described in my first post?

They ought to be interesting, that's how the Merriam/Webster Dictionary defines them. The problem is leftist trying to redefine what a word means. Leftists are messed up and never know when to STFU and sit down.

Furthermore, leftists are delusional dumb-asses who honestly believe they can change meanings to words when those meanings have been around longer than they have. lmao

It can correlate with racism but nationalism isn’t necessarily racism. I understood nationalism rather negative till today (like I defined it in my first post of this thread) but I found some very positive elements of nationalism in the posts of others that changed my mind (like the drive to create an independent nation,....)

You didn’t say anything about WHAT nationalism actually is. And if you would define it as I did in the very first post.

What a load of stupid horse****. So, you know that nationalism is bigotry, but then some bigots convinced you.

The "drive to create an independent nation" is ****ing idiotic, not a "positive of nationalism". Sticking ones head in the sand in a global world is beyond stupid. To do it in a belief of superiority is supremely moronic and not "a positive".

Most moronic thread ever. OP has no clue what he's babbling about. Just pathetic and stupid excuses for nationalism.

Last edited:
What are the good and the bad forms?
Good are those that push to improve the situation and conditions of persons living in a nation.
Bad are those which push in a direction of causing harm to those undeserving of it.

I think of patriotism as pride in one's country because of its character.

Nationalism is pride in one's country regardless of its character.

This is what nationalists would like you to think they are. Nationalists are actually just fake patriots who wrap their emotions in a flag pummel to conflate it with actual patriotism. Then, given enough time and power, they go off and start killing people who aren't like them.
You miss the positive aspects of nationalism.

What do YOU think is the difference between patriotism and nationalism?
At the moment I think nationalism corresponds (almost) exactly to the list of positive and negative aspects I gave in my last post (national goals, independent nation, preserve that nation's identity, devotion to a nation + the negative aspects). Whereas a patriot is someone who just loves his country without necessary stressing the importance of pursuing national goals, independent nation, preserving that nation's identity,...
I will read and integrate the additional sources you listed in your last post the next days. I haven’t enough time at the moment.

The problem is leftist trying to redefine what a word means.
leftists [...] believe they can change meanings to words when those meanings have been around longer than they have.
Yes, I see this too. That’s why I started this thread. Unfortunately my own initial post was influenced by invalid thinking patterns (see below), but I changed my mind.

Would you say nationalism also has negative aspects? If not, how would you call a person that shows the negative aspects I listed in my last post?

What a load of stupid horse****.
The "drive to create an independent nation" is ****ing idiotic, not a "positive of nationalism".

Sticking ones head in the sand in a global world is beyond stupid. To do it in a belief of superiority is supremely moronic and not "a positive".
Positive or at least neutral aspects of nationalism obviously do exist. Even if you do not consider these aspects as being positive, you at least have to admit that these could be seen as positive. For example:
- emphasizing national rather than international goals
- drive to create an independent nation
- preserve that nation's identity/existence

Before I started this thread I had a faulty attitude regarding nationalism. I thought nationalism were equivalent to a false sense of superiority and perhaps tendencies to exploit other counties but I didn’t see the positive aspects. So my first post indeed was a load of stupid horse**** and I apologize for my one-sided account. Then 5 people mentioned the positive aspects of nationalism which I hadn’t seen before because I myself – although I’m far on the right – was brainwashed by liberal media propaganda (I live in Europe in here each news channel is left biased). Now I do no longer ignore the second half of the concept (because I've learned), but you still do.
Didn’t you want to evolve?

Sticking ones head in the sand in a global world is beyond stupid. To do it in a belief of superiority is supremely moronic and not "a positive".
No – it’s not stupid!
First you can be a nationalist without a false belief of superiority (although some nationalists do have this flaw). For example you can be a person that says: I don’t believe that one nation is superior to another but I want my nation to be independent from other nations.
Second the fact that we live in a “global world” does not rule out that nations peruse their own interests or preserve their nation's identity. For example you could say: I support economic free trade areas but I reject the idea of open boarders regarding immigration. Even if we consume products from all around the world, that doesn’t mean that we have to accept a globalism at each level.

Back
Top Bottom