• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a "Moderate"?

Ahlevah

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We just had the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert "Million Moderate March" ;) in Washington. Can someone please tell me, what is a "moderate"? For example, do moderates believe that Americans have a fundamental, individual right to own a gun? Do moderates deny that Americans are overtaxed? Do moderates favor keeping "Obamacare"? Do moderates believe in traditional marriage, or do they think that marriage should be sex blind? :confused: Also, what makes a "moderate" position any less political than a "conservative" or "liberal" position? I mean, some things are black and white, like the view that Americans do or do not have an individual right to own a gun, or that marriage should or should not be defined as between a man and a woman. Reasonable people could argue that any effort to legally redefine marriage is, in fact, a "radical" position.

Reasonable people could argue that any effort to legally redefine marriage is, in fact, a "radical" position.

No, reasonable people would consider all options to discover the best solution. Reasonable people are not bound by tradition and customs created by others in the past. Reasonable people tend to think for themselves and don't rely on others telling them what to think.

A moderate is a person who is afraid to express their actual beliefs, or is too wishy-washy to be able to define what is right and what is wrong. You know, a person who tries to play both sides of the fence.

A moderate is a person who is afraid to express their actual beliefs, or is too wishy-washy to be able to define what is right and what is wrong. You know, a person who tries to play both sides of the fence.

A moderate is a person who refuses to be labeled as left-wing or right-wing, because unlike the left and right wings they can see the shades of gray in the world.

TED,
Who figures that while we're playing the "broad generalization" game, we should go for broke.

individual right to own a gun?
I have no problem with you having a M16 full auto as long as you understand how to handle it via some kind of training and you're not some kind of nut.

Do moderates deny that Americans are overtaxed?
overtaxed? sure but what can we do about it?

Do moderates favor keeping "Obamacare"?
I have no problem with federal health care. I've seen it at it's best with the military health care systems both at Portsmouth Naval Hospital and Camp Lejeune Hospital

marriage should or should not be defined as between a man and a woman
The term "marriage" at one time was a religious term. The government should stay out of it, Civil (as in government) Union are fine.

It has nothing to do with defining right or wrong. What is right for one is wrong for another. Moderates understand that and have the capabilty to compromise and find a middle ground, not trying to play both sides of the fence. Most people have a combination of conservative and liberal positions on issues. Only the most narrow minded and irrational people are 100% left or right.

The point of the rally was moderation in conduct, not political views. Stewart is a liberal and makes no effort to hide that fact. The goal was to promote the concept that two people can holding opposing political views and still treat each other like reasonable people. Disagreement is inevitable, but it doesn't have to devolve into flinging around absurd Nazi comparisons.

Take any radical and take their beliefs down a notch and then you have a moderate.

Thread's eventual response: "Someone who doesn't have the courage to agree with me."

Thread's eventual response: "Someone who doesn't have the courage to agree with me."

Already happened. It's a stupid response, but it has been made.

Moderate varies with who is defining it. Some self described moderates hold both right wing and left wing positions, depending on the issue. Some are people who are only a little left, or a little right, but closer to the center. In the first case for example, some one who favors strict freedom to own guns, but also favors strict rights to have an abortion might see themselves as moderate. In the second, some one who favors the rights to have guns and abortion, but with some limitations on them might consider themselves moderates.

The thing that has always bothered me, is what is the difference between a Moderate and a Centrist.

Speak, O Sage. I seek Enlightenment. :mrgreen:

The thing that has always bothered me, is what is the difference between a Moderate and a Centrist.

Depends on who is identifying themselves(or others) as either. There are no good dictionary definitions of political moderates and centrists. To me, a moderate is some one who identifies with the left or right, but does not go far down that path. A centrist is one who identifies with the center of the political spectrum. They both probably arrive at about the same basic political beliefs, they just see how they get there differently.

I, myself have long had that mentality of being for a middle-way. However, I was surrounded by liberal and radical academia in one shape or another. Eventually I steadily began to fall away from that, and had continued to move toward the center. I try to view things somewhat pragmatically. On the other hand ideologically, I cannot deny that because of my entrenchment in academia and a liberal past, I concentrate more on liberal or far left exaggerations than conservative ones. Nevertheless, I do not want a moderate/centrist political third party just to support my viewpoints (unlike a great deal of people here who are moderates). I view that as counter-productive. Instead, I see politically the role of a centrist or moderate to be a power broker: a person for others to court in order to gain favor, and a person who can take it upon him/herself to mend a division that may not be necessary. I also conceptually hold no large grudge over "Big Money," "Special Interests", or "Lobbyists."

Last edited:

Probably no difference.

I think a moderate may have left or right leanings but considers both sides of the spectrum. So there is no "moderate" stance on abortion or a "moderate" stance on gun control as these beliefs are defined by the individual.

We just had the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert "Million Moderate March" ;) in Washington. Can someone please tell me, what is a "moderate"? For example, do moderates believe that Americans have a fundamental, individual right to own a gun? Do moderates deny that Americans are overtaxed? Do moderates favor keeping "Obamacare"? Do moderates believe in traditional marriage, or do they think that marriage should be sex blind? :confused: Also, what makes a "moderate" position any less political than a "conservative" or "liberal" position? I mean, some things are black and white, like the view that Americans do or do not have an individual right to own a gun, or that marriage should or should not be defined as between a man and a woman. Reasonable people could argue that any effort to legally redefine marriage is, in fact, a "radical" position.

Moderates are partisans who are too embarrassed about the side they fall on to admit it. Either that or they are wimps who are too interested in people pleasing to actually have an opinion on anything. The first kind of moderate should grow a pair. The second kind should not be allowed to vote.

Moderates are partisans who are too embarrassed about the side they fall on to admit it. Either that or they are wimps who are too interested in people pleasing to actually have an opinion on anything. The first kind of moderate should grow a pair. The second kind should not be allowed to vote.

There are more than two sides. Some people are just not lock step with either side and unlike braindead people like you, actually think for themselves.

There are more than two sides. Some people are just not lock step with either side and unlike braindead people like you, actually think for themselves.

Just because you fall on a side that is not traditionally republican or democrat doesn't mean you aren't falling on a side. Believing that everyone but you is wrong doesn't necessarily make you right.

To form opinions based on what your side has worked out is to ignore rationality and reason, not to mention just plain lazy and ignorant. Not everyone is willing to blindly follow the rest of the herd.

Is this the part where I'm supposed to say mean nasty things about conservatives?

Why is it that, when faced with people whose politics you find unacceptable, the best you can do is say mean nasty things about them?

Are you interested in actually talking about what a moderate is, or do you feel that your job is done now that you've repeated Rush's definition of moderates?

To form opinions based on what your side has worked out is to ignore rationality and reason, not to mention just plain lazy and ignorant. Not everyone is willing to blindly follow the rest of the herd.

Your premise is incorrect. You (who by the way are listed as a liberal implying you have used the same partisan methods) are assuming that I have not carefully examined all sides to the argument, poured years of study into the issues, and come to my opinion through asking critical questions and engaging in years of logical debate with opponents such as yourself. You are incorrect.

Is this the part where I'm supposed to say mean nasty things about conservatives?

Why is it that, when faced with people whose politics you find unacceptable, the best you can do is say mean nasty things about them?

Are you interested in actually talking about what a moderate is, or do you feel that your job is done now that you've repeated Rush's definition of moderates?

Well, really my point is that so-called moderates don't really exist. Even if you are a moderate, in most cases you have a pov that disagrees with others. People call themselves moderates to try to fool everyone into thinking they are well balanced, compromising and agreeable people who everyone can love. But usually it just means they either haven't thought the issue through enough to take a stand or have taken a hard stand that does not agree with liberals or conservatives. Doesn't make them automatically right.

Your premise is incorrect. You (who by the way are listed as a liberal implying you have used the same partisan methods) are assuming that I have not carefully examined all sides to the argument, poured years of study into the issues, and come to my opinion through asking critical questions and engaging in years of logical debate with opponents such as yourself. You are incorrect.

I'm not a liberal for the sake of being a liberal. We all have our leanings as no one is absolutely centerist. I dont agree with every liberal or take a liberal position on every issue. What I was arguing (which is incorrect according to you) is that it defies reason to follow a side rather than to take your own position reguardless of your political affiliations. This is why moderates identify themselves as moderates. They refuse to be branded as a conservative or liberal as they would rather draw their own conclusions without a feeling of contradiction towards themselves and/or their ideology.

It has nothing to do with being "ballsy" enough to choose a side.

Well, really my point is that so-called moderates don't really exist. Even if you are a moderate, in most cases you have a pov that disagrees with others.

I doubt that anybody who considers themselves moderate will seriously claim that they don't disagree with other people.

People call themselves moderates to try to fool everyone into thinking they are well balanced, compromising and agreeable people who everyone can love. But usually it just means they either haven't thought the issue through enough to take a stand or have taken a hard stand that does not agree with liberals or conservatives. Doesn't make them automatically right.

Do you have a source for this, other than Rush Limbaugh?

I'm not a liberal for the sake of being a liberal. We all have our leanings as no one is absolutely centerist. I dont agree with every liberal or take a liberal position on every issue. What I was arguing (which is incorrect according to you) is that it defies reason to follow a side rather than to take your own position reguardless of your political affiliations. This is why moderates identify themselves as moderates. They refuse to be branded as a conservative or liberal as they would rather draw their own conclusions without a feeling of contradiction towards themselves and/or their ideology.

It has nothing to do with being "ballsy" enough to choose a side.

But that was exactly my point. They don't want to brand themselves, although they still take a hard stance on each issue that they are not ignorant of. They are not moderates, they are just choosing to not properly label their views. All it means is you have to do a little extra work when debating them to find out what sort of partisan they are.

Back
Top Bottom