• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What is a man? A response to Gillette

Acadia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Beautiful. True. Moving. Thank you, Egard Watch Company.

Watch this.

It's so stupid, because Gillette ad never said men weren't any of those things,. They didn't say anything about all men. They said things about how women are treated. And women are still treated like **** in large numbers. There is no denying that.

the only people that are upset about this are the mysogynist pigs that want to rape women, beat women, abuse women, treat them like ****, use them, pay them less, and not respect them in the workplace. Because that's what the ad was about, a message for the men that treat women this way. There is no denying that this is still a problem and still occurs systematically, even in 2019

Man people are such assholes

Why is this in the political forum? OOOhhh, because crazy.

Focused on the important national political issues I see. Culture and gender wars nonsense still polling well with Trump's base?

What big legislation are you Trump folks working on to combat all this man-hate? Where is the national political agenda surrounding this that you are building, or opposing?

This **** is like ****ing chain letters that have somehow become part of the Republican national political platform. It's madness.

Focused on the important national political issues I see. Culture and gender wars nonsense still polling well with Trump's base?

What big legislation are you Trump folks working on to combat all this man-hate? Where is the national political agenda surrounding this that you are building, or opposing?

This **** is like ****ing chain letters that have somehow become part of the Republican national political platform. It's madness.

It's identity politics.

It's so stupid, because Gillette ad never said men weren't any of those things,. They didn't say anything about all men. They said things about how women are treated. And women are still treated like **** in large numbers. There is no denying that.

the only people that are upset about this are the mysogynist pigs that want to rape women, beat women, abuse women, treat them like ****, use them, pay them less, and not respect them in the workplace. Because that's what the ad was about, a message for the men that treat women this way. There is no denying that this is still a problem and still occurs systematically, even in 2019

Yep, yet people, and thus assholes among them, are not all male. Implying otherwise is foolish.

I found it insulting that someone at Gillette thought that I needed to see their message. I'm sure most men feel the same way.

It seems like a funny way to sell razors. Perhaps they forgot what their business is.

I'm going back to double edged safety razors. Merkur Futur safety razors from Germany are 100% machined stainless steel, fully adjustable, and will last you a lifetime, available from Amazon.com. Feather brand blades from Japan are the best, also available from Amazon. You can get enough blades to last more than a year for what a month's worth of Gillette razors cost. If you don't want to deal with a brush and soap then Barbasol shaving cream is really good and cheap.

Not a boycott so much as me just being shocked into looking at the alternatives and finding that I've been over-charged for shaving products all my life.

Men should just stop taking on the roles that were traditionally assigned to them. Let women stand on our front lines to fight our wars. Let women dominate our police force and take down the criminals. Let them rush into burning buildings. Erect our steel and mix our concrete.

While men stay home and raise the family and make the house a home. Women feel insulted by being asked to take on that role, no problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Beautiful. True. Moving. Thank you, Egard Watch Company.

Watch this.

Thank you for sharing. This is a wonderful response video! It doesn't attack, it doesn't even directly reference. It simply shows the other side.

If you want men to be better every generation, let's celebrate all the things they do for this society and the sacrifices they make instead of attacking them for being men. The phrase "toxic masculinity" says it all for me and it's right at the start of Gillette's attack ad. They show people acting normal and not hurting society in any way and it's "toxic" and talk about how we can be better as if their opinion means anything at the end of it.

Instead of dropping to their level, this ad spells out the consequences of those personality traits and how we teach men to be heroes. Let's focus on that.

I have two boys who I will teach to be masculine men and treat their friends and girl-or-boyfriends with respect. I will not teach them to apologize for being born a man.

So am I the oddball for liking BOTH videos? People need to stop being offended by every damn thing.

Yep, yet people, and thus assholes among them, are not all male. Implying otherwise is foolish.

I don’t think the Gillette video implied any such thing. Does the ad in this OP imply that women can’t be heroes or protectors or any of those those things? No. Does it imply that ALL men are heroes and protectors? No.

Nothing wrong with either ad.

I don’t think the Gillette video implied any such thing. Does the ad in this OP imply that women can’t be heroes or protectors or any of those those things? No. Does it imply that ALL men are heroes and protectors? No.

Addressing either human vice or human virtue as being gender specific issue is what many are objecting to. I agree with you that talking about A does not imply that B is unimportant.

At least there was this post as "something" to take away from my regret at having clicked this thread....:roll: Thanks at least for some bit of sanity.

I agreed with the gilette ad in principle, but thought it was a dumb ad. I can't see how anyone can be offended without makeing a serious effort. I guess osme folks enjoy that. Much like defending against the mighty leftist army of the "war on xmas".:roll:

Like you said, it's identity politics.

Men are assholes
Whites are racist
Christians are bigots

The obvious implication is that unless you oppose your masculinity or your whiteness or your religious conviction you are "deplorable".

Like you said, it's identity politics.

Men are assholes
Whites are racist
Christians are bigots

The obvious implication is that unless you oppose your masculinity or your whiteness or your religious conviction you are "deplorable".

Yet if you prefix men, whites or Christians with "Liberal" then they are no longer assholes, racists or bigots. With that simple additional trait then the deplorable become the compassionate and virtuous.

At least there was this post as "something" to take away from my regret at having clicked this thread....:roll: Thanks at least for some bit of sanity.

I agreed with the gilette ad in principle, but thought it was a dumb ad. I can't see how anyone can be offended without makeing a serious effort. I guess osme folks enjoy that. Much like defending against the mighty leftist army of the "war on xmas".:roll:

Really? It was the above post that made you think this thread was worth clicking on? The deranged assignment of those who are interested in encouraging companies to celebrate men's accomplishments over saying things like "toxic masculinity" as if it was a real thing to Trumpsters? No acknowledgment of how much of a stretch that is or how he is the only person to bring right and left into it?

The Gillette ad was idiotic and makes me shop around rather than give them my money as it did with the 55k people who have downvoted the video so far. It doesn't make me angry because it just reflects the morons who thought Ocean's Eight or Female Ghostbusters were good idea. Preach, lose money, feel good about yourself. Good for you.

What is sad to me is how the opposition wants to paint everyone who disagrees as some sort of Trump supporter, who is also being painted as frothing right wingers.

I hope for your sake that you learn to better assess people and situations.

Addressing either human vice or human virtue as being gender specific issue is what many are objecting to. I agree with you that talking about A does not imply that B is unimportant.

I can understand that. But let’s take a vice: domestic violence. There are husbands who beat their wives. There are also women who beat their husbands? These are both bad but the circumstances around them are often different and thus require a different approach. For example, most women don’t report their abusive husband out of fear of physical retaliation or in cases where the husband is the bread winner the fear may be out of a loss of financial support. Men are unlikely to report their abusive wives out of embarrassment or out of fear of not being taken seriously by law enforcement.

These take two very different approaches to address.

In school both boys and girls bully. But the type of bullying committed by boys tends to be more physical and bullying by girls tends to be more emotion and self esteem targeted. Again, different approaches are needed.

Targeted ads don’t speak to as many people as broad ads, but they tend to be more effective.

So rather than people complaining about Gillette’s ad being too gender specific, I think a better approach would be to encourage companies with predominantly female customers to make their own ads encouraging the best from women. I have seen ads like that, but not about domestic violence in which the woman is the aggressor.

So am I the oddball for liking BOTH videos? People need to stop being offended by every damn thing.

Nothing against the video either, its just the typical dumb right wing response thinking that Gillette said anything bad about men, just a message to treat women better. and there is no denying that even today, far too many women are not treated right by men, or treated as equals.

I'm still astonished you have knuckle draggers who got offended by a positive message form Gillette. It's like I said above, the ones upset are the ones that want to continue to treat women like **** and they are scared that its no longer going to be tolerate. Just like they are scared they can't **** all over minorities and they themselves are becoming the minority.

Really? It was the above post that made you think this thread was worth clicking on? The deranged assignment of those who are interested in encouraging companies to celebrate men's accomplishments over saying things like "toxic masculinity" as if it was a real thing to Trumpsters? No acknowledgment of how much of a stretch that is or how he is the only person to bring right and left into it?

The Gillette ad was idiotic and makes me shop around rather than give them my money as it did with the 55k people who have downvoted the video so far. It doesn't make me angry because it just reflects the morons who thought Ocean's Eight or Female Ghostbusters were good idea. Preach, lose money, feel good about yourself. Good for you.

What is sad to me is how the opposition wants to paint everyone who disagrees as some sort of Trump supporter, who is also being painted as frothing right wingers.

I hope for your sake that you learn to better assess people and situations.

Well you've added nothing of interest to the discussion so.....:shrug:

Well you've added nothing of interest to the discussion so.....:shrug:

Why am I not surprised that is your assessment of the person and situation? But it does clarify that you aren't interested in the self improvement I suggested. Good luck with that and all.

imo, the Gillette video was born of the "toxic masculinity" narrative and an attempt to harness PC culture to their advantage.

I found it insulting that someone at Gillette thought that I needed to see their message. I'm sure most men feel the same way.

It seems like a funny way to sell razors. Perhaps they forgot what their business is.

I'm going back to double edged safety razors. Merkur Futur safety razors from Germany are 100% machined stainless steel, fully adjustable, and will last you a lifetime, available from Amazon.com. Feather brand blades from Japan are the best, also available from Amazon. You can get enough blades to last more than a year for what a month's worth of Gillette razors cost. If you don't want to deal with a brush and soap then Barbasol shaving cream is really good and cheap.

Not a boycott so much as me just being shocked into looking at the alternatives and finding that I've been over-charged for shaving products all my life.

Added to wish list, thanks for the tip.

"What is a man"?

I'd hope it at least included the ability to ignore a commercial one doesn't like rather than meltdown about The Feminist Menace.....

All of this ridiculousness because one of the leading democrat donors was finally exposed, and numerous other leftist actors and producers and TV personalities got called out for their instances of sexual harassment assault, and rape.

Masculinity didnt create a generation of XY Chromosome formed individuals to be too ****ed up to know that they are men. Masculinity didnt create a generation that is so ****ed up that they have to have 103 different gender categories to try to find a way to not loathe themselves enough that they wont hurt themselves. Masculinity didnt create a society where 70% of Americans are on some form of medication and nearly 20% of all adults are on psychiatric meds.

If you want to see the root of the problem, look to the ****heads that are peddling the toxic masculinity bull**** in the first place. EXTREME liberals and leftists are the problem and most of the **** that infects society is spread by them. Look at the music across the spectrum...and its nothing new. TV shows...movies...marketing...media...magazines...

You have a problem. Its not 'men' and certainly not 'masculinity'.

Why do so many snowflakes have their asses is a knot over this ad?
The ad is not the problem. Its just a symptom of a much bigger problem.

Back
Top Bottom