• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What in the world is Biden/Harris thinking for health insurance? which BTW is not government health care.....

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There are some who would rather finance their own health care straight out of their pockets which would reduce the expense considerably for them as would Medicare Single Payer Insurance for all others.

HR676/S703 Healthcare Reform Report Card

Provide 3 choices: Put this to a vote thus allowing patriotic citizens decide! And keeps political special interests out of it

=== Retain ObamaCare insurance for those who are pleased with it or apprehensive to change or apprehensive about the word Medicare.

=== Self financed health care allows the fiscally fit to opt out. Open this door.

=== Provide the opportunity of Single Payer Medicare for ALL = excellent coverage to many millions upon millions more. OPEN this door. This coverage is no more free than ObamaCare however it does cost CONSIDERABLY less.

FYI:

Universal Single Payer Insurance for ALL would cover every person for all necessary medical care 24/7 to include:

Wellness /prescription drugs / hospital / surgical / outpatient services / primary and preventive care / emergency services / dental / mental health / home health / physical therapy / rehabilitation (including for substance abuse) / vision care / hearing services including hearing aids / chiropractic / medical equipment / palliative care / long term care

No deductibles / No Co-pays

The above is not free medical care just merely using our tax dollars more efficiently ,effectively and brings tax dollars back home to we the taxpayers.

Consider that the federal government spends more than $4 trillion tax dollars annually on healthcare which would likely cover all in the USA under a Universal Single Payer Health Care program.

Which is what I surmised based on what I've heard and read .............

Medicare stays as-is, perhaps with a small drop in the eligibility age.

Medicaid stays as is, except poor people who should be eligible for it but have been locked out by red state governments will be able to get insurance.

People can stick with employer plans if they want, but are no longer locked in if they'd prefer to shop on their own.

Financial assistance for those buying on their own is increased, providing relief on premiums and deductibles to millions of people.

Meanwhile, downward pressure on everybody's premiums comes from greater participation and insurer competition in the marketplaces, stricter application of anti-trust laws to health care providers, Medicare negotiation of drug prices, continuation of the ACA's reforms to health care financing and care delivery, and the creation of a new public health insurance option that anyone can choose to buy into in the open market.

Medicare stays as-is, perhaps with a small drop in the eligibility age.

Medicaid stays as is, except poor people who should be eligible for it but have been locked out by red state governments will be able to get insurance.

People can stick with employer plans if they want, but are no longer locked in if they'd prefer to shop on their own.

Financial assistance for those buying on their own is increased, providing relief on premiums and deductibles to millions of people.

Meanwhile, downward pressure on everybody's premiums comes from greater participation and insurer competition in the marketplaces, stricter application of anti-trust laws to health care providers, Medicare negotiation of drug prices, continuation of the ACA's reforms to health care financing and care delivery, and the creation of a new public health insurance option that anyone can choose to buy into in the open market.
The bolded orange is the BS part. It did harm middle income people before...we got zero subsidies, could only afford the crappiest plans that provided little, and paid for others to get free healthcare.

The last 2 yrs of Obamacare I had no insurance (I didnt take my employer's plans either, they were just as bad..."because of Obamacare"), paid out of pocket as uninsured for Dr visits, and paid the FINE on my yearly federal taxes. And I still paid 2/3 less than I would have if I'd been paying for monthly crappy insurance...which I still had to pay/visit some anyway.

I asked...I still do...the billing is higher for people with insurance than if you dont have it. For the same services. It's bullshit.

The ONLY good thing The Donald did was get rid of the individual mandate.

Yes, I'm still pissed.

The bolded orange is the BS part. It did harm middle income people before...we got zero subsidies, could only afford the crappiest plans that provided little, and paid for others to get free healthcare.

That changes under the Biden Plan. There's no longer a 400% FPL cap on eligibility for financial assistance. The benchmark used to calculate subsidies moves from the silver tier to the more generous gold tier, and no one can pay more than 8.5% of income for the benchmark gold plan.

So just to use an example as to what that means, let's say you have a single 45-year-old in Everett, WA making just over 400% FPL (say, $51,100) next year. Under the ACA, her income would be just slightly too high for financial assistance. Under the Biden Plan, that's not the case--that person would instead have $175.22 per month to apply to any plan sold in the marketplace.

Just playing around on the https://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/ website:

ACA
(no subsidy)
Biden Plan
(after subsidy)
Cheapest Silver PlanPremium: $417.43
Deductible: $2,000
Premium: $241.77
Cheapest Gold PlanPremium: $475.49
Deductible: $500
Premium: $299.83

So under the Biden Plan that person could buy a more generous gold plan that has a lower deductible for substantially less money than they'd pay right now for a silver plan.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for Trump's Health Care plan so it can be compared to the Biden plan. But that is not going to happen because Trump has no plan.

That changes under the Biden Plan. There's no longer a 400% FPL cap on eligibility for financial assistance. The benchmark used to calculate subsidies moves from the silver tier to the more generous gold tier, and no one can pay more than 8.5% of income for the benchmark gold plan.

So just to use an example as to what that means, let's say you have a single 45-year-old in Everett, WA making just over 400% FPL (say, $51,100) next year. Under the ACA, her income would be just slightly too high for financial assistance. Under the Biden Plan, that's not the case--that person would instead have $175.22 per month to apply to any plan sold in the marketplace.

Just playing around on the https://www.wahealthplanfinder.org/ website:

ACA
(no subsidy)
Biden Plan
(after subsidy)
Cheapest Silver PlanPremium: $417.43
Premium: $241.77
Cheapest Gold PlanPremium: $475.49
Premium: $299.83

So under the Biden Plan that person could buy a more generous gold plan that has a lower deductible for substantially less money than they'd pay right now for a silver plan.
Thank you for your time and effort. That looks good. Now what if I made about twice that?

Yeah...see, lots of assumptions but horses and property are expensive. And I work very hard for the $$ to enable me to have that...it took decades. What little I have as 'discretionary' income to enjoy and support those things? Means A LOT to me. I could give up what I wanted my whole life...and then only need half my salary...and so work less and apparently, get more from the govt.

Yeah tho...I am a Democrat. More of a Blue Dog Dem.

Sorry for the snark. I do appreciate your time and investment in the issue. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy about that too.

What in the world is Biden/Harris thinking for health insurance? which BTW is not government health care.....

IMO this is the best, most accurate, most nonsense debunking thread title of the year. You get to take home the title and given the level of outright ridiculous propaganda around this place masquerading as debate, I think you can safely say that you will have retired the award.

Thank you for your time and effort. That looks good. Now what if I made about twice that?

Yeah...see, lots of assumptions but horses and property are expensive. And I work very hard for the $$ to enable me to have that...it took decades. What little I have as 'discretionary' income to enjoy and support those things? Means A LOT to me. I could give up what I wanted my whole life...and then only need half my salary...and so work less and apparently, get more from the govt.

Sorry for the snark. I do appreciate your time and investment in the issue. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy about that too.

If you're making six figures and have access to low-deductible gold plans that cost ~5-6% of your income (unsubsidized), how much financial assistance do you think you should get?

If you're making six figures and have access to low-deductible gold plans that cost ~5-6% of your income (unsubsidized), how much financial assistance do you think you should get?
See? That's what I mean. I made a choice to work hard for what I want and my $ would to to a lot of people (not all) that dont or wont.

I dont believe I should get subsidies but then I shouldn't have to pay a huge amount for crappy, almost useless health insurance and it should not mostly be going to pay for other people.

I pay out of pocket for my Dr visits and treatment. All I want is a reasonable 'major medical' plan and I was unable to find one in the past 3-4 yrs. I gave up a yr ago.

I had some of the same frustrations you have. However after actually reading the Biden plan. I'm seeing some good for people like you and me in a slightly different circumstance but I absolutely hate being tied to a job for insurance reasons but would hate more losing everything if one stupid illness took me down for just a little while.

I had some of the same frustrations you have. However after actually reading the Biden plan. I'm seeing some good for people like you and me in a slightly different circumstance but I absolutely hate being tied to a job for insurance reasons but would hate more losing everything if one stupid illness took me down for just a little while.
Yes. Biden had some stuff that sounded promising.

I live alone on my property. If I were really injured or got sick and couldnt work, I'd lose it all anyway. The plans pay, generally, pretty poorly, the deductibles are high, and it would add up fast.

But that is why I want something like major medical.

See? That's what I mean. I made a choice to work hard for what I want and my $ would to to a lot of people (not all) that dont or wont.

I dont believe I should get subsidies but then I shouldn't have to pay a huge amount for crappy, almost useless health insurance and it should not mostly be going to pay for other people.

I pay out of pocket for my Dr visits and treatment. All I want is a reasonable 'major medical' plan and I was unable to find one in the past 3-4 yrs. I gave up a yr ago.

Based on the experience of the past several years, I'm convinced that if enough money is available for financial assistance then an individual mandate isn't needed to maintain healthy risk pools, if that helps.

The military receive government health care ........

Back
Top Bottom