• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What in the heck is up with women and being late all the time anyway?

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
A female acquaintance of mine invited me and a couple of other mutual friends out to a bar downtown last night.

At first, she was unwilling to set a definite time to meet at all (which is frankly kind of ridiculous in and of itself), but after some prodding, she agreed to meet us there at 10:30 PM.

Knowing damn well that she was probably going to be later than that, I took my time getting down there, and eventually showed up around 11:15ish. The other guy and the people he was bringing with him wound up having to wait on his girlfriend, so he ended up getting in around 20 minutes later.

That's all more or less to be expected.

However, the girl who invited us all out in the first place didn't saunter in until roughly 12:30. That's taking things a bit far, IMO.

I mean... Hooool-leee sniekies people, how on earth does someone even do something like that in good conscience? wtf.gif

I'm not mad or anything. As a matter of fact, I've sort of come to expect this kind of behavior from the fairer sex to a certain extent; hence why I showed up somewhat fashionably late myself.

Still though, I can't help but be more than a little baffled as to the "why" of the whole thing. I'm sort of a borderline OCD perfectionist myself (as I'm sure some of you have noticed :mrgreen:), so when I set a date and time to meet someone, I tend to make sure that I keep it.

Hell! I'm usually early.

I take it that the female mind doesn't see things quite the same way?* :confused:

Yes, yes... Put your torches and pitchforks away DP femnazi brigade. I'm well aware that not all women behave in this manner. I've simply had the misfortune to meet quite a few that do. :lol:

Last edited:
A female acquaintance of mine invited me and a couple of other mutual friends out to a bar downtown last night.

At first, she was unwilling to set a definite time to meet at all (which is frankly kind of ridiculous in and of itself), but after some prodding, she agreed to meet us there at 10:30 PM.

Knowing damn well that she was probably going to be later than that, I took my time getting down there, and eventually showed up around 11:15ish. The other guy and the people he was bringing with him wound up having to wait on his girlfriend, so he ended up getting in around 20 minutes later.

However, the girl who invited us all out in the first place didn't saunter in until roughly 12:30. That's taking things a bit far, IMO.

I mean... Hooool-leee sniekies people, how on earth does someone even do something like that in good conscience? View attachment 67148991

I'm not mad or anything. As a matter of fact, I've sort of come to expect this kind of behavior from the fairer sex to a certain extent; hence why I showed up somewhat fashionably late myself.

Still though, I can't help but be more than a little baffled as to the "why" of the whole thing. I'm sort of a borderline OCD perfectionist myself (as I'm sure some of you have noticed :mrgreen:), so when I set a date and time to meet someone, I tend to make sure that I keep it.

Hell! I'm usually early.

I take it that the female mind doesn't see things quite the same way?* :confused:

Yes, yes... Put your torches and pitchforks away DP femnazi brigade. I'm well aware that not all women behave in this manner. I've simply had the misfortune to meet quite a few that do. :lol:

I would have chewed her world revolves around me ass out right in front of everyone.

For me that's a no-go. I'm an adult, and I show up on time. Showing up 2 hours late is not 'cute', and it shows that she doesn't give a flying rat's ass about you.

That's not the kind of girl you'd want to marry anyway.

For me that's a no-go. I'm an adult, and I show up on time. Showing up 2 hours late is not 'cute', and it shows that she doesn't give a flying rat's ass about you.

That's not the kind of girl you'd want to marry anyway.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I never said I wanted to "marry" her. :lol:

We're not even dating.

I do agree that this kind of behavior shows a complete and total lack of maturity, however.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I never said I wanted to "marry" her. :lol:

We're not even dating.

I do agree that this kind of behavior shows a complete and total lack of maturity, however.

Yeah, I get that. I meant that there's no point in even dating or courting her or any of that because it would never lead to a marriage.

I mean... Hooool-leee sniekies people, how on earth does someone even do something like that in good conscience? View attachment 67148991

Hell! I'm usually early.

Your spoiler/disclaimer is the answer to your question. :2razz:

Don't take it personally, as a man I mean. I have similar experiences with female relatives and friends. I've had them call to say they were leaving for the 2 hour drive a half hour after they were supposed to be at a child's birthday party. Par for their course, unfortunately, and so festivities they were invited to went off at the appointed time ever after and if dinner was over an done, they could get pizza on the way home. That goes beyond bad manners and self-absorbtion.

You know your friend and whether you feel it's an insult and if you want to do anything about it. Me? I wouldn't be making any new plans without some pleasant words about being 2 hours late.;)

It's not a real issue for me because I refuse to date high-maintenance women.

If she's just a friend and I'm meeting her somewhere, she knows when to be there. If I say let's meet at 7, she better be there. If she's not there at 7:15, I'm ordering. I'm eating when the food gets to me too.

If she gets there while I'm eating, I'll talk to her until I'm finished eating, pay for my meal, say it was nice to see her again, and leave.

If you're rude, I'm rude.

Yeah, I get that. I meant that there's no point in even dating or courting her or any of that because it would never lead to a marriage.

That makes sense. We're honestly waaaay too far gone into the dreaded "friend zone" at this point for it to really matter, but I take your meaning.

While she's a sweet enough girl, she is also undeniably pretty high maintenance and a massive tease to boot. I wouldn't turn her down if she offered me a go (which is unlikely considering that she's a "born again" type), but I would be shocked if anything more ever came of it.

To be honest, I was actually kind of surprised that she invited me at all. I hadn't seen or heard from her for months before last night.

Your spoiler/disclaimer is the answer to your question. :2razz:

Don't take it personally, as a man I mean. I have similar experiences with female relatives and friends. I've had them call to say they were leaving for the 2 hour drive a half hour after they were supposed to be at a child's birthday party. Par for their course, unfortunately, and so festivities they were invited to went off at the appointed time ever after and if dinner was over an done, they could get pizza on the way home. That goes beyond bad manners and self-absorbtion.

You know your friend and whether you feel it's an insult and if you want to do anything about it. Me? I wouldn't be making any new plans without some pleasant words about being 2 hours late.;)

Woohoo! Finally managed to get a female opinion on the matter. :rock

I've met a few males with such tendencies as well. However, I would say that it seems to be more common in women on the whole.

I'm honestly curious about the kind of mindset that causes this behavior more than anything else. In your opinion, would you say that it's primarily caused by power tripping (i.e. "those losers are going to wait on me no long how I take!"), absent mindedness, or simply how much more effort women tend to put into grooming and personal appearance?

Incidentally, I will be less likely to take her invitations in the future, but more as a result of the general crappiness of the venue she chose than her lateness. :lol:

If you're rude, I'm rude.

An eye for an eye

Last edited:
My girlfriend is late for every date.

I mean every single one.

I think she enjoys it. I told her today that I have to start coming late as well.

She agreed.

The first time I married, my father expressed some serious concerns about the fact that my (then) boyfriend was ALWAYS late. Chronically late. I didn't listen or pay attention, but my father was right on the money.

I find it funny that she's always late.

Its cause she has so much to do and doesn't budget her time well. Its never intentional.

It's pretty simple really.

Man:
Shower -5 min
Shave - 5 min
Dress - 5 min

Ready to go.

Woman:
Bathe and shave legs, wash and condition hair - 30 min+
Dry hair - 10 m
Style hair - 30 m
Makeup - 30 min
Dress - 10 min
Examine dress in mirror - 5 min
Change clothes - 10 min
Examine 2nd clothing choice - 5min
Decide first was better after all and change back - 10m
Look in mirror, experience uncertainty, call friend over to help her decide what to wear...

What takes us 15min takes (some) women 3 hours.... but hey, we likes 'em to look beautiful so I guess we just have to be patient....

Hell! I'm usually early.

Welcome to the world, dude. You, like all men, are doomed to spend a big chunk of your life patiently waiting for women. There's nothing to be done about it but enjoy them when they finally make an appearance.

From another perspective, here's an anecdote. I once helped a girlfriend move into a new apartment, and at one point when we were hauling things out of her old place, she handed me a large box (like, big enough to hold an old-style computer monitor) filled, just filled with bathroom products. There were shampoos, and creams, and lotions, and all kinds of **** that men don't even have words for. I - being the sarcastic asshole that I am - made some sort of snarky comment about developing a hernia from carrying the **** that she apparently needed to use every day before leaving the house. She gave me a dirty look and said "If I stopped using these things, you'd notice."

Game, set, match.

What takes us 15min takes (some) women 3 hours.... but hey, we likes 'em to look beautiful so I guess we just have to be patient....

That's the major reason my friends and I put up with the girl mentioned in the OP. She might take forever to actually get to the bar/club, but she'll usually show up ready to party and looking pretty damn good. She also has a tendency to bring friends with her. :mrgreen:

My girlfriend is late for every date.

I mean every single one.

I think she enjoys it. I told her today that I have to start coming late as well.

She agreed.

For my senior prom, I told my date to be ready an hour before she actually needed to be ready. She was pissed when she found out, but she was also ready right on schedule. ;)

For my senior prom, I told my date to be ready an hour before she actually needed to be ready. She was pissed when she found out, but she was also ready right on schedule. ;)

Telling my girlfriend to show up at 1 when I really want her to be there at 1:30?

Interesting. You may be a genius.

Serious studies have ben done on how men's and women's brains percieve time in different ways. The bottom line conclusion is all women are nuts while all men have it together. :peace

I'm always early. :shrug:

Just calculate the average time she's late by and give her the time she needs to be ready/there by and subtract that time.

I'm always early or on time.

My time is valuable, why shouldn't someone else's be also?

My mom is always late. Not high maintenance late, just scatter brained you might say. It drives me absolutely crazy.

It just frustrates me to no end because I feel she has no consideration. If you tell someone a time you should either stick to it or be considerate enough to call if you can't make it.

I see their tardiness everyday. They are often late, rush through the access control coffee in one hand and spill the coffee at the elevator landing.

I don't think this has anything to do with being female, but might be an age thing. I've noticed people my age (27) or younger are often late. All my friends were like that in college. I once showed up at about 8 for a party that was supposed to start at 7 to find I was the first one there and the girl hosting wasn't even out of the shower yet. I've never understood it :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom