• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if Tim Scott is a Trump tactic?

Why is he even bothering? I think he would fare much better if he were running as a democrat, but he isn't. He is running as a republican who is pandering to the rightwing base with the usual rightwing poli-speak, with the intermittent prayer to Jesus thrown in for good measure. He presents himself as a full-on Republican.

Okay, why? Well, it gives the GOP some credibility, at least in appearance, that they are racially inclusive in their party, even when it comes to the highest office in the land. "There's room for all in the Republican tent." (Easy to pretend when you know the token you present doesn't have a bat's chance in hell. But it makes for good appearance and argument rebuttal.)
I don't think he's bothering because he thinks he'll win the presidency. I think he's auditioning for a VP spot and, frankly, I think it's a very good tactic on his part. I think he'll increase the public's awareness and knowledge of him and I think he'll gain a lot from that.
I don't think he'd ever run as a Dem. He holds no Dem policy views whatsoever. He's not a Republican because of pandering. He's a Republican because that's the party whose views he supports. He is a "full-on Republican".
And the Dems are just wrong about the token stuff and all that race garbage. The GOP doesn't care what one's skin color is. That's just a Dem narrative and it's not working out so well since the Dems now feel the need to and are so strongly opposed to any Black Republican. It's super clear the only Blacks Dems have any use for are the ones who agree with Dems and the Dem plan.
When Scott threw his hat into the ring, mathmatically, it just splits the vote even wider among those republicans that want someone different than Trump, does it not? We all know that the Trump idols are going to vote Trump no matter what, (if he ain't a convicted felon by then.) He is going to get X% of the vote in the primary, no matter who, or how many candidates they run. After Trump wins the primary, Scott will lead his supporters in prayer and tell them that God told him that they should all stand beside Trump now.

Possible conclusion: Tim Scott is secretly helping Trump win the primary and help in polishing the image of the GOP. He has to know, at the end of the day, this run for the oval office is futile for him at this point in time so there HAS to be a reason he is doing it. Money? Promises of higher positioning or appointment? Cabinet seat? Vice President?

Hardly anything is as it appears on the surface.
Now, on these points, we certainly have some similar theories. Tim Scott sure might be helping himself gain notoriety, helping Trump by splitting more of the vote, and hoping Trump will choose him as a VP. I think all of these are more than a little likely.

Some on the left think Trump would choose Lake or MTG as a running mate. I'm often wrong, but I think that's nothing more than a "wishful thinking" Dem hope and not an intelligent or logical one. Trump really wants to win and he won't think a VP choice of either of those two will enhance his chances at winning - IMO. I do think Trump would see a ton of wisdom in choosing Tim Scott and I think Trump genuinely likes Tim Scott and likes working with him.

And Trump's reaction to Tim Scott's presidential announcement was quite noticeable and I think more meaningful than just the words it included.

I almost have a stronger prediction of who I think the GOP VP choice will be than I do of who I think the GOP nominee will be. I think there is an excellent chance Tim Scott will the choice for GOP VP - by either or any candidate who becomes the GOP nominee. And I think Tim Scott is a great VP choice. He's put himself right where he needs to in order to show what a good choice he is.

already happened, in 2020
kanye
ran with the backroom support of tRump
to draw black votes away from the democrat nominee

this time, tRump offers a better, more credible, candidate to the black community

Well, there are also women Trump hardcore supporters. WTF? Explain that. That makes zero sense.
Right now, the biggest reason happens to be Joe Biden.

When it comes to conspiracy theories, this one's a doozy. Meant to be taken lighheartedly. My crystal ball is my source

Okay, I'll bite. ;)

Tim Scott announced he is running as a GOP candidate for President.

Yep.

Think about that.

I have.

What are the odds that enough republican voters, nation-wide, would vote for a black, charismatic and talented speaker, such as Tim Scott over Trump?

Slim to none. Not because of his race or politics, simply because Trump still holds a strong majority of Republicans. Both among those who voted last election, and new adherents pissed off by the facts of the Durham investigation coupled with the realization of all the lies of the Media and the undermining actions of the Administrative State.

Okay, now that you have pondered that question, and came to your own realization, let's move on.
Okay.

So, the next question, after weighing the logic and dictates of reason, is "why?"

IMO, one of two reasons. Either he actually thinks he has a chance, which IMO is not what he thinks, or

...he is fishing for the VP spot which gives him the better shot in the NEXT election, depending on how a Trump win (or loss) occurs.

Why is he even bothering?

To get more national recognition. Let's face it, most of the MSM (aside from FOX) focus on anything but giving Republican's any positive coverage. This declaration does that, and depending on how he does in the debates, it could do him good service politically.

I think he would fare much better if he were running as a democrat, but he isn't. He is running as a republican who is pandering to the rightwing base with the usual rightwing poli-speak, with the intermittent prayer to Jesus thrown in for good measure. He presents himself as a full-on Republican.

Ridiculous. He is not a Democrat, he does not support much if anything in the Democrat agenda, and radical Democrats would just label him a race traitor (and other terms I chose not to repeat.)

Okay, why? Well, it gives the GOP some credibility, at least in appearance, that they are racially inclusive in their party, even when it comes to the highest office in the land. "There's room for all in the Republican tent." (Easy to pretend when you know the token you present doesn't have a bat's chance in hell. But it makes for good appearance and argument rebuttal.)

The GOP is racially inclusive. Only ones own confirmation bias would buy into allegations that the republican party is full of racists and oppose democracy.

Weirdly, it is the Democrat Party with the history of racism and Jim Crow, and one need simply look back at Joe Biden's examples of history in government to show what he "used to" advocate.

When Scott threw his hat into the ring, mathmatically, it just splits the vote even wider among those republicans that want someone different than Trump, does it not? We all know that the Trump idols are going to vote Trump no matter what, (if he ain't a convicted felon by then.) He is going to get X% of the vote in the primary, no matter who, or how many candidates they run. After Trump wins the primary, Scott will lead his supporters in prayer and tell them that God told him that they should all stand beside Trump now.

Not really. It only affects the Primaries. Just like Democrats, once the final ticket is determined, the Republicans and other groups including disaffected Democrats will likely vote for it.

Possible conclusion: Tim Scott is secretly helping Trump win the primary and help in polishing the image of the GOP. He has to know, at the end of the day, this run for the oval office is futile for him at this point in time so there HAS to be a reason he is doing it. Money? Promises of higher positioning or appointment? Cabinet seat? Vice President?

No. As for the rest, already addressed in a prior answer.

That's my take.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll bite. ;)

Yep.

I have.

Slim to none.

Okay.

IMO, one of two reasons. Either he actually thinks he has a chance, which IMO is not what he thinks, or

...he is fishing for the VP spot which gives him the better shot in the NEXT election, depending on how a Trump win (or loss) occurs.

To get more national recognition. Let's face it, most of the MSM (aside from FOX) focus on anything but giving Republican's any positive coverage. This declaration does that, and depending on how he does in the debates, it could do him good service politically.

Ridiculous. He is not a Democrat, he does not support much is anything in the Democrat agenda, and radical Democrats would just label him a race traitor (and other terms I chose not to repeat.)

The GOP is racially inclusive. Only ones own confirmation bias would buy into allegations that the republican party is full of racists and oppose democracy.

Weirdly, it is the Democrat Party with the history of racism and Jim Crow, and one need simply look back at Joe Biden's examples of history in government to show what he "used to" advocate.

Not really. It only affects the Primaries. Just like Democrats, once the final ticket is determined, the Republicans and other groups including disaffected Democrats will likely vote for it.

That's my take.
PRICELESS! A standoff between Captain America and Captain Adverse! LMAO! Where are the rest of the super hero's?

Okay, I'll bite. ;)

Yep.

I have.

Slim to none. Not because of his race or politics, simply because Trump still holds a strong majority of Republicans. Both among those who voted last election, and new adherents pissed off by the facts of the Durham investigation coupled with the realization of all the lies of the Media and the undermining actions of the Administrative State.

Okay.

Ridiculous. He is not a Democrat, he does not support much if anything in the Democrat agenda, and radical Democrats would just label him a race traitor (and other terms I chose not to repeat.)

That's my take.
Excellent.

Great Captains think alike.

Only, "
Ridiculous. He is not a Democrat, he does not support much if anything in the Democrat agenda,
I made it very clear that Scott was no democrat and I said as much in my post. So, where is the "ridiculous" coming from? Perhaps a misunderstanding? And, to be honest, I don't think the GOP is best known, at this point in time, as the party pushing for inclusiveness. Just sayin'. Other than that, I think you were spot on.

Excellent.

Great Captains think alike.

Only, "

(y)

I made it very clear that Scott was no democrat and I said as much in my post. So, where is the "ridiculous" coming from? Perhaps a misunderstanding? And, to be honest, I don't think the GOP is best known, at this point in time, as the party pushing for inclusiveness. Just sayin'. Other than that, I think you were spot on.

Sorry, I did not mean YOU were "ridiculous," just that IMO the idea that he could run as a Democrat based on his history of opposing most of the Democrat agenda would be a ridiculous hope/goal on his part. He'd have to eat a lot of crow and even then I doubt it would help.

(y)

Sorry, I did not mean YOU were "ridiculous," just that IMO the idea that he could run as a Democrat based on his history of opposing most of the Democrat agenda would be a ridiculous hope/goal on his part. He'd have to eat a lot of crow and even then I doubt it would help.
I agree 100% I was merely implying that the democrat party is better known for inclusiveness. I don't think he, an aspiring African American, would be as welcomed in the GOP as he would be in a democrat party, (if it weren't for his rightwing positioning.) Just an opinion.

I agree 100% I was merely implying that the democrat party is better known for inclusiveness.

I don't believe that is "historically" correct. Not at least until the mid-60's when the Johnson Administration enacted the "Great Society" programs.

I personally believe the stories that Johnson's goal was to have us Black folk (he allegedly used the N-word among "friends") vote Democrat forever, by marrying us as much as possible to the "social welfare" programs he and the Democrats created. I remember what it was like prior to that, and have watched how things have gotten worse for us ever since.

From a 25% single parent family to an 80% single parent family. All incentivized by the welfare programs that paid more for single mothers with children in the home.

The abortion rate among Blacks is the highest amongst all demographic groups at over 24%, the next closest demographic is "other" (Asians and Native Americans combined) at 12.7% https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/ss/ss7110a1.htm#T3_down

Yet we only make up only 12 -14% of the population.

I don't think he, an aspiring African American, would be as welcomed in the GOP as he would be in a democrat party, (if it weren't for his rightwing positioning.) Just an opinion.

I respectfully disagree.

I really don't know where this idea that the Republican Party is the Party of racism when the vast majority of evidence shows it has always been the Democrat Party, both via Slavery and Jim Crow pre-Great Society, and since then disrupted and economically enslaved by the Great Society programs.

Last edited:
I don't believe that is "historically" correct. Not at least until the mid-60's when the Johnson Administration enacted the "Great Society" programs
I seem to remember, (hell, I know because I lived it) the southern democrats, (dixiecrats) took home the trophy for racial bigotry back during those times. Back then, I was just a child but just about everyone I knew was a democrat down in Texas. They were NOTHING like today's democrats. They were none too receptive to the idea of assiminating with other races. And, if memory serves me correctly, when Johnson came into office, and started throwing the black folks a bone, many of those dixiecrats got pissed off, and switched to republican where they remain to this day. Much like, if you read the 1956 Republican Party Platform, it would sound very much like today's democrat platform. Parties change over time.

I personally believe the stories that Johnson's goal was to have us Black folk (he allegedly used the N-word among "friends") vote Democrat forever, by marrying us as much as possible to the "social welfare" programs he and the Democrats created. I remember what it was like prior to that, and have watched how things have gotten worse for us ever since.
I can't disagree. I mean, I don't know what's in another man's mind but if that is what he thought, it seems to have worked. But I wouldn't want to be the guy that tries to take it away from them. Things could get nasty.
From a 25% single parent family to and 80% single parent family. All incentivized by the welfare programs that paid more for single mothers with children in the home.
Now, that is interesting. Thank's for sharing. I have long wondered why so many African American men failed to step up to fatherhood and family cohesiveness. Why so many unmarried African American women are having babies/abortions. I guess that explains that. But I typically steer clear of such discussions as they usually turn into a trainwreck when all of the problems within our African American communities end up being all whitey's fault.

Just so I undderstand you correctly, It is your opinion that, we should stop giving the African-American citizens any more government handouts, and this would benefit them? I don't think you'll find many white folks that would argue with that.

But I think there would be a lot of hungry babies. Perhaps I am just too much a softy these days.

I seem to remember, (hell, I know because I lived it) the southern democrats, (dixiecrats) took home the trophy for racial bigotry back during those times. Back then, I was just a child but just about everyone I knew was a democrat down in Texas. They were NOTHING like today's democrats. They were none too receptive to the idea of assiminating with other races. And, if memory serves me correctly, when Johnson came into office, and started throwing the black folks a bone, many of those dixiecrats got pissed off, and switched to republican where they remain to this day. Much like, if you read the 1956 Republican Party Platform, it would sound very much like today's democrat platform. Parties change over time.

I keep hearing about this "major switch", but it seems very hard to find a tangible list showing just who and how many actually switched. Or did so simply because Lyndon B. Johnson was taking a "kinder, gentler, parental" stance in establishing the "Great Society" programs.

There were a few who did leave like Strom Thurmond to initially establish a third Party "The States Rights Democrat Party" in 1948, and that was the splinter group who came mostly from the Southern States pushing for Jim Crow. They were advocates of all those terrible separate but (not so) equal laws. But they still typically supported Democrat policy if elected to Congress.

If any later switched to Republican, there is no evidence this was reflected in any change of Republican attitudes towards the Party of Abraham Lincoln views.

Honestly I don't see any such racism in any Republican Party platform. Now I know Democrats have pointed to the Border issues, but from what I see that has nothing to do with "racism" and everything to do with protecting American sovereignty and proper immigration laws.

It is unreasonable to expect our nation to simply absorb all the many 10's to 100's of millions of potential immigrants when we are having a difficult time as it is trying to keep American citizens gainfully employed, housed, and cared for.

I can't disagree. I mean, I don't know what's in another man's mind but if that is what he thought, it seems to have worked. But I wouldn't want to be the guy that tries to take it away from them. Things could get nasty.

Hell yes it has worked. How else are Democrats able to keep control over almost all of our largest cities despite the fact many of them are cesspools of crime, unemployment, poor infrastructure, terrible educational systems, inadequate housing, water issues, etc.? IMO by following the Roman policies of "Bread, Circuses, and a right riot/steal from time to time."

Now, that is interesting. Thank's for sharing. I have long wondered why so many African American men failed to step up to fatherhood and family cohesiveness. Why so many unmarried African American women are having babies/abortions. I guess that explains that. But I typically steer clear of such discussions as they usually turn into a trainwreck when all of the problems within our African American communities end up being all whitey's fault.

Facts are facts, and you are welcome. I always appreciate learning new things myself. ;)

Just so I undderstand you correctly, It is your opinion that, we should stop giving the African-American citizens any more government handouts, and this would benefit them? I don't think you'll find many white folks that would argue with that.

Not just Black Americans. We are not the only ones on welfare. Plenty of white folk are too. But you don't just stop a program cold because that will lead to unrest and violence. It must be a gradual weaning away, much like we would do for any dependency. Like a baby from the bottle to whole foods, or a drug user from the pipe/needle/pills.

But I think there would be a lot of hungry babies. Perhaps I am just too much a softy these days.

Not if while weening away you create job training and hiring programs. Meanwhile, educating people to be self-sufficient and toward a work and family ethic.

Essentially many of those things derogatorily labeled "Whiteness" which are in fact a simple self-sufficient work and family orientation ethic.

1. Rugged Individualism
2. Family
3. Work Ethic
4. Scientific Method

Last edited:
I don't get it. trump hates everyone who isn't rich and white. I don't understand why a black or brown or any other race other than white Arians would support him.

He's scarier than the rest of the wannabe's because there's no reason for him to not denounce trump, and he won't do it.
What has Trump ever done to make you say he hate's "everyone who isn't rich and white"?
Do you have any actual examples of something Trump said or did that makes you say that? I don't think you can name a single thing.

Just because ignorant people say it doesn't make it true.

Back
Top Bottom