• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if the Trump situation was reversed?

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative

This Donald Trump thing got me thinking what if Rush Limbaugh donated to republican conservatives and blue dog democrats,thinks Ted Cruz would make a awesome VP or supreme court judge, supported and praised the job those blue dog democrats and conservative republicans.But with in a year or so changed his party affiliation to democrat and started espousing single payer health care, advocated for more taxes on the rich,supported stricter gun control laws and assault weapon bans, espoused easier access to elective abortion, supported amnesty for illegals, wants to enact cap and Trade and enacting tougher environmental regulations but sometimes goes back and fourth on those beliefs. And lets say many republicans decided to rat **** the democrat primary by voting for Limbaugh in open primary stats and switched party affiliation in closed primary states to vote for Limbaugh and Limbaugh became the democrat nominee in 2020 while Ted Cruz became the republican nominee. Would any liberal democrat even the die hard democrat vote for Rush Limbaugh for president?Or would they have enough sense to vote 3rd party,leave that part of the ballot blank or just stay home?

This Donald Trump thing got me thinking what if Rush Limbaugh donated to republican conservatives and blue dog democrats,thinks Ted Cruz would make a awesome VP or supreme court judge, supported and praised the job those blue dog democrats and conservative republicans.But with in a year or so changed his party affiliation to democrat and started espousing single payer health care, advocated for more taxes on the rich,supported stricter gun control laws and assault weapon bans, espoused easier access to elective abortion, supported amnesty for illegals, wants to enact cap and Trade and enacting tougher environmental regulations but sometimes goes back and fourth on those beliefs. And lets say many republicans decided to rat **** the democrat primary by voting for Limbaugh in open primary stats and switched party affiliation in closed primary states to vote for Limbaugh and Limbaugh became the democrat nominee in 2020 while Ted Cruz became the republican nominee. Would any liberal democrat even the die hard democrat vote for Rush Limbaugh for president?Or would they have enough sense to vote 3rd party,leave that part of the ballot blank or just stay home?

Trumps political footprint is somewhat soft. He donated, bought/sold favors, endorsed occasionally. Limbaugh is one of the most well know far right partisan hacks ever to grace the airwaves or the internet in generations. You can't paint a liberal facade on such a canvas and have anyone take it seriously.

Fat Chance. I think the left has such a hard on for Limbaugh they are already brainwashed to hate him. I don't think anybody has been brainwashed to hate Trump until he started shooting off his mouth on political topics in the 2000s. Limbaugh has been on the scene since forever and has never changed his mind on most conservative topics. Limbaugh is a much more polarizing figure than Trump ever will be. But Trump is bad for a bunch of other things and he isn't necessarily polarizing except to the party he chose to run with. Trump would have been better on his own ticket and possible would have done just as well as he did on the Republican Ticket.

That being said, I think the Democrats are more strict when it comes to who they let ride in their clown car. Rather than the Republicans big tent. We tend to let anyone in, and then end up regretting it later but that's also part of our core value system too...

I think they'd vote third party or just stay home, just like a lot of Republican voters will do in November.

Fat Chance. I think the left has such a hard on for Limbaugh they are already brainwashed to hate him. I don't think anybody has been brainwashed to hate Trump until he started shooting off his mouth on political topics in the 2000s. Limbaugh has been on the scene since forever and has never changed his mind on most conservative topics. Limbaugh is a much more polarizing figure than Trump ever will be. But Trump is bad for a bunch of other things and he isn't necessarily polarizing except to the party he chose to run with. Trump would have been better on his own ticket and possible would have done just as well as he did on the Republican Ticket.

That being said, I think the Democrats are more strict when it comes to who they let ride in their clown car. Rather than the Republicans big tent. We tend to let anyone in, and then end up regretting it later but that's also part of our core value system too..

That is why I don't democrats will ever be in the reverse situation.They had Jim Webb pro-military guy, pro-2nd amendment and somewhat a moderate and he didn't last long in the democrat primaries.ANd Lincon Chafee who was a republican but later changed to democrat also didn't last long in the democrat primary.

Last edited:
That is why I don't democrats will ever be in the reverse situation.They had Jim Webb pro-military guy, pro-2nd amendment and somewhat a moderate and he didn't last long in the democrat primaries.ANd Lincon Chafee who was a republican but later changed to democrat also didn't last long in the democrat primary.

I liked Webb, but I think Republicans are much more easily swayed than Democrats. Part of our party's problem is that we have a base who is willing to throw away everything they have ever fought for, for a promise. (Whatever that promise is, I don't even have a clue). There is a problem in the right wing industry of distrust of "experts." No matter whether they be science experts, government experts, financial experts, or media experts. They (the far right) have allowed themselves to become soo polarized that they actually need a whole other sub-par industry to back up their claims, wants, wishes, and desires. The left has this too, but it's more controlled and less serious/crazy. It's gotten sooo bad that now we have Donald Trump as our nominee. A literal snake-oil salesman who laughs in the face of the beliefs they claim they take so seriously.

Another part of our problem is that we have a base who aren't Republicans in the traditional sense.

Rush Limbaugh wouldn't even get enough signatures from Democrats to appear on a ballot.

Because we're not that goddamned gullible.

Back
Top Bottom