• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if .... Russia claims Alaska and parts of California back?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here is the news:

Still, on a Sunday news program in Russia, parliament member Oleg Matveychev included Alaska in a list of demands in response to the war in Ukraine and the economic harm caused to the country by U.S. sanctions.

“Let’s think about reparations. The harm these sanctions caused us cost money. Return of possessions, including possessions of the Russian Empire, Soviet Union and even parts of Russia that are now occupied by the United States,” Matveychev said in the interview.

“What about the return of Alaska and Fort Ross?” the host asked, a reference to a former Russian outpost on the California coast north of San Francisco.

“This is my next point – recognizing Alaska, Fort Ross and Antarctica,” he said. “We actually discovered it, so it rightfully belongs to us.”
www.adn.com

A Russian lawmaker wants Alaska back. ‘Good luck with that!’

Alaska politicians and historians were quick to scoff at a call from a Russian parliament member to return Alaska and a former outpost in California to Russian hands amid Russia’s war in Ukraine.
www.adn.com
www.adn.com

Build a wall. Press the reset button. Get Congress to pass a none binding resolution condemning the act. Change Facebook profiles to include flags. Have Biden ask the world to support us the way he supports the Iranian people. Blame Trump. Blame Obama. Smoke crack with Hunter. Increase cold climate military training. Talk about who slapped who at the latest awards show.

Build a wall. Press the reset button. Get Congress to pass a none binding resolution condemning the act. Change Facebook profiles to include flags. Have Biden ask the world to support us the way he supports the Iranian people. Blame Trump. Blame Obama. Smoke crack with Hunter. Increase cold climate military training. Talk about who slapped who at the latest awards show.
Lose the last vestiges of your shit over non-cis-gendered people existing.

Hosts and guests on Russian TV news and commentary programs are openly rooting for Russia to nuke Ukraine and the United States, so I mean, sure, I can see a guy saying that Russia should sneak over and walk off with Alaska or whatever.

Russia is a suffering country that has economic depression and the possibility of collapse in its future.

Its TV-watching Russians--i.e., the geezers--are nostalgic for the good old days when Russia was a world power.

They need people to say things that make Russians feel powerful again.

It's nothing more or less than entertainment for Russians.

Their not getting them. Putin's whole "it was once ours so its ours forever argument" whether its Ukriane or Alaska is pure BULLSHIT.

If they ask for it back we ignore them, because something that ridiculous doesn't merit a response.

If they actually send troops to try to take it back then it means war. Probably nuclear war eventually. But I can't imagine the Oligarch's running Russia are stupid enough to try to invade the United States.

Let's just send Putin Palin for free.

IF they were so foolish as to ask such a thing, we'd tell them to go **** themselves, in the most diplomatic manner possible I'm sure.
Let's not be hasty. We'd get to give them Sarah Palin. But I don't think the guy understands how sanctions and reparations work. Admittedly, Iraq has a case for reparations against the US also, they're the payers of reparations to Ukraine, not the payee for the sanctions for their war.

If they ask for it back we ignore them, because something that ridiculous doesn't merit a response.
Russia demanding Alaska and parts of California back is ridiculous, of course.
But some may take it serious.
One never knows ....

If they actually send troops to try to take it back then it means war. Probably nuclear war eventually. But I can't imagine the Oligarch's running Russia are stupid enough to try to invade the United States.
I am not sure whether the Oligarchs are running Russia.
It is rather that Putin runs the Oligarchs.
He has put some of them in prison to show them who is master.
Ever since those Oligarchs have become docile.
Putin allows them to keep their money - but not any power.

Some info about Fort Ross - or: Форт-Росс

Fort Ross (Russian: Форт-Росс), originally Fortress Ross (pre-reformed Russian: Крѣпость Россъ, tr. Krepostʹ Ross), is a former Russian establishment on the west coast of North America in what is now Sonoma County, California. It was the hub of the southernmost Russian settlements in North America from 1812 to 1841. Notably, it was the first multi-ethnic community in northern California, with a combination of Native Californians, Native Alaskans, and Russians.[4] It has been the subject of archaeological investigation and is a California Historical Landmark, a National Historic Landmark, and on the National Register of Historic Places. It is part of California's Fort Ross State Historic Park.

And:

The present name of Fort Ross[5] appears first on a French chart published in 1842 by Eugène Duflot de Mofras, who visited California in 1840.[6] The name of the fort is said to derive from the Russian word rus or ros, the same root as the word "Russia" (Pоссия, Rossiya)[7] and not from Scottish "Ross". According to William Bright, "Ross" is a poetic name for a Russian in the Russian language.[8]

More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ross,_California

Russia can't take Ukraine and someone thinks they can take Alaska from us? LOL, Sarah Palin and her bulldog hockey moms could whip Russia.

One of Kremlin's spin doctors making ridiculous statements meant to energise the base.

And btw: Who of you has ever heard of Fort Ross before?

Back
Top Bottom