• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if Mexico declared war on America in WW1?

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What if Mexico agreed to Germany's terms in the Zimmerman Note and attempted to invade America? I think it would have forced America into World War 1 quicker, but of course Mexico would get owned. Then we would liberate Mexico and install a friendly government (more make them a territory/state). What do you think would have happened?

Quite Unlikely they would have gone along with it. Also wasn't the Zimmerman note possibly a falsification by England?

Wow, how about sticking to the topic or do you have political tourettes?

We'd have 51 states.

As for Germany's intentions. Germany, probably would not have won. We had so much manpower, that I doubt, fighting on two fronts would be a problem. Even under normal circumstances, Mexico was not very strong, and the civil war, the bloodiest period in its history, only weakened it further.

Last edited:
We'd have 51 states.

As for Germany's intentions. Germany, probably would not have won. We had so much manpower, that I doubt, fighting on two fronts would be a problem. Even under normal circumstances, Mexico was not very strong, and the civil war, the bloodiest period in its history, only weakened it further.
Not to be too statistical here, but, at the time the Zimmerman note was exposed, the US didn't exactly have a comparatively large or well-polished fighting force. :shrug:

What if Mexico agreed to Germany's terms in the Zimmerman Note and attempted to invade America? I think it would have forced America into World War 1 quicker, but of course Mexico would get owned. Then we would liberate Mexico and install a friendly government (more make them a territory/state). What do you think would have happened?

Mexico has been owned by every country that ever occupied them. Pancho Villa got trounced by Pershing, and Pancho Villa seriously trounced the Mexican army so what does that lead you to believe on what we would have done to Mexico? Mexico would now be one of the 51 states of America, and we wouldn't have a problem with illegal immigration because they would be American citizens.

Wow, how about sticking to the topic or do you have political tourettes?

Every time the US has dealings or war with any country, America soon receives its regugees/immigrants. It's a given so where do you think immigration doesn't belong? If we were using today's values and were fighting WWI, the war would go on forever just like it is in Iraq and Afganistan. When Pancho Villa crossed the Rio Grande, troops were dispatched and the Pancho Villa problem was removed from US soil. Don't you wish America had more Blackjack Pershings?

Not to be too statistical here, but, at the time the Zimmerman note was exposed, the US didn't exactly have a comparatively large or well-polished fighting force. :shrug:

No, but by 1918, our army had 10,000,000 personnel drafted. Only about 4,000,000 made it to France in time before the end of the war. That left a good number to counter the Mexicans. Besides Our forces were still more more than capable of invading Veracruz a few years before. Mexico was not exactly at full strength since in 1917, it was still in the Mexican Civil War, aka the bloodiest period in Mexican history. Mexico would not stand a chance, even with a fraction of the troops sent to Europe.

I think the real question is what would America have done after the war. Would they have installed a new government? Perhaps taken some territory too? Although the US at this point already had a history of colonialism, especially in the Philippines, I doubt the US would have attempted something similar in Mexico.

The Philippines were far away and the violence there was kept far away from America, Mexico however is right on the other right of the border and any insurgency there could have spilled over into the US proper. Also the Philippines were conquered before Woodrow Wilson was ever President, he clearly had a very different view of colonialism, and there really would have been no justification or desire to annex Mexico. The territory bordering the US in Mexico is poor, Mexico proper is full of problems, plus it has a different people, culture, language, etc etc.

Fourteen Points - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think a post 2nd US-Mexican, would have in many ways been like the Iraq War. We would have attempted to install a democracy which would give us a friendly government and attempt to defeat all insurgent and rebel elements in the country, which would have had the potential for a Philippians-like situation but definitely less of a chance if we were clear about our desire to leave.

No, but by 1918, our army had 10,000,000 personnel drafted. Only about 4,000,000 made it to France in time before the end of the war. That left a good number to counter the Mexicans. Besides Our forces were still more more than capable of invading Veracruz a few years before. Mexico was not exactly at full strength since in 1917, it was still in the Mexican Civil War, aka the bloodiest period in Mexican history. Mexico would not stand a chance, even with a fraction of the troops sent to Europe.
No, I realize that we built up a viable fighting force rather quickly. My point was that in 1916, we did not have it. If the Zimmerman note was authentic and Germany had decided to bolster the Mexican army with troops of its own, we might have had quite a fight on our hands :shrug: I do agree that the outcome would have been an inevitable victory for the US, but it definitely would have been an interesting "twist"

American Idol would have been in Spanish...yeah that's about it.

No, I realize that we built up a viable fighting force rather quickly. My point was that in 1916, we did not have it. If the Zimmerman note was authentic and Germany had decided to bolster the Mexican army with troops of its own, we might have had quite a fight on our hands :shrug: I do agree that the outcome would have been an inevitable victory for the US, but it definitely would have been an interesting "twist"

Oh no doubt, especially with a probable insurgency afterward, but Mexico's government was so weak at the time, I think even then current troop levels could have defeated the Mexicans pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom