• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What if Martin had lived

The creepy guy that seemed to follow him in car then on foot?

Martin lost him in the dark. Nothing to defend there.

Are you still going to stick to that story that Zimmerman hunted this child down and killed him?

Just a thought how different a trial would be if Martin lived but maybe was paralyzed now.

Have no idea how his story would be but this trial would be a totally different animal with two side represented. I hate it when you only get one side of a story.

Also wished they were both the same race. The race difference brings in two factions of he chased him because he was black and the the jury feeling blacks are always the victim. Racism is a double edges sword.

If Zimmerman were black or if Martin were white or Hispanic, we would have never heard about the case.

Juries then to be harsher against African-Americans. So do judges and prosecutors, just like they tend to be harsher against men than women.

If Zimmerman were black or if Martin were white or Hispanic, we would have never heard about the case.

You are probably correct. The media has some very unusual taste in what it sees as news.
A black killing blacks not so newsworthy.
A white killling whites may be newsworthy if the number is high enough.
A white killing blacks newsworthy

If a black woman is kidnapped and raped we don't hear about it.
A white woman kidnapped and raped such as Elizabeth Smart then she ends up on a lecture tour and a household name.
How many here can name one of the three women kept captive for 10 years by the guy in Cleveland?

You are probably correct. The media has some very unusual taste in what it sees as news.
A black killing blacks not so newsworthy.
A white killling whites may be newsworthy if the number is high enough.
A white killing blacks newsworthy

If a black woman is kidnapped and raped we don't hear about it.
A white woman kidnapped and raped such as Elizabeth Smart then she ends up on a lecture tour and a household name.
How many here can name one of the three women kept captive for 10 years by the guy in Cleveland?

I agree but I don't want to blame the media. The reason for this is tribalism. A lot of people become personally invested in matters where they perceive their tribe is under assault by another tribe or at minimum involves a victim with whom they identify. IMHO it says something disturbing about our capacity or willingness to care as much about people who don't meet the criteria of being in our groups, however "group" is defined. It also says something about whether or not we really care about the victims even when we are interested based on tribalism; is it a matter of feeling in some way WE are the victims by proxy in those cases with less true concern for the real victims?

I use to look down on Middle Easterners because they acted like genocide was underway if America or Israel was involved in some sort of military activity where sadly innocent people became victims but the same exact people didnt give an F when Saddam Hussien killed a half a million people because it was "in house." IE the people don't matter, its all about tribalism and pride. Then I noticed, we are no defferent even going as far as seeing tribal divisions within America.

Back
Top Bottom