• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What If Brian Williams Gets Fired?

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
NBC News President Deborah Turness has issued a statement to the staff saying that they are considering what "the next steps could be."

Who Are Brian Williams’ Possible Replacements at ‘Nightly News’? | Variety

NBC News President Deborah Turness Addresses Brian Williams Controversy: Read Memo

Regardless of your personal feelings about the network. Who would be a good choice to replace Williams? I like Lauer for the job, but if they want to be bold, they should actually consider Couric herself.

What if Brian Williams gets fired? The world will still turn, life will go on and Hannity will still troll for dicks in the mens room.

NBC News President Deborah Turness has issued a statement to the staff saying that they are considering what "the next steps could be."

NBC News President Deborah Turness Addresses Brian Williams Controversy: Read Memo

Regardless of your personal feelings about the network. Who would be a good choice to replace Williams? I like Lauer for the job, but if they want to be bold, they should actually consider Couric herself.

Why should he be fired. Hillary Clinton lied about taking cover from fire and she got to be SoS and if we have to endure the misfortune, she'll be our next president, too!

Why should he be fired. Hillary Clinton lied about taking cover from fire and she got to be SoS and if we have to endure the misfortune, she'll be our next president, too!

I don't really care either way, I don't watch him. The problem is the damage done to his credibility, not just with regard to his false claim, but his "apology" was no better, claiming some sort of false memory. It calls into question everything else he claimed he experienced like a floating body during Katrina and the dysentery he claims to have suffered as a result of ingesting some flood water.

Dont care much. Mainstream media is driven by sensationalism and bs anyways. Dont care much about whoever reads the scripted sensationalized bs.

I don't really care either way, I don't watch him. The problem is the damage done to his credibility, not just with regard to his false claim, but his "apology" was no better, claiming some sort of false memory. It calls into question everything else he claimed he experienced like a floating body during Katrina and the dysentery he claims to have suffered as a result of ingesting some flood water.

I heard the pilot of the chopper that Williams was in interviewed who said that the chopper was taking small arms fire but hadn't been hit by an RPG? Seems we have more important things on the stove right now at any rate.

I've always liked the guy... but unlike politicians, whose job it is to exaggerate their own accomplishment while pimping for votes, Brian Williams is a journalist. All a journalist has are his ethics and his credibility. He has lost both, and now previous "exploits" he has bragged about are under extremely strict scrutiny.

I now believe that the same thing that made Williams shoot to the top... his ability to spin a spellbinding tale of his experience in current war zones/disaster areas... will be his downfall, since those tales can no longer be believed. If he worked for me, I'd fire him on the spot.

As for who should replace him, I could not possibly care less.

What does it mean?

That we hold our journalists to higher ethical standards than our own damned president [who was an admitted abuser and drug dealer].

Lester Holt would probably be the best choice, if he wants the job. Bob Costas would be my second choice.

This thread is not about Presidents, or politicians. This is about Brian Williams and what could happen to him. Thanks to those for answering the question, I was hoping for a little bit more debate over the names of the people who might replace him. Williams is perhaps the most famous journalist in TV at the moment. He is of course held to a higher standard than others. For those that don't care. Just pick and choose your favorite news site and/or blogger. If they lied about something like this, wouldn't you care because you held those up to a higher standard than everyone else?

He's been lying about one of his helicopters being blown up under fire since at least 2003 while covering the war. Problem is he was in a chopper an hour behind and he didn't even get hit. I have friends in the army who remember with great detail each and every time they were under fire. There is a disease called PTSD that makes people relive these moments long years after the fact. He lied and then he lied in his silly apology. You might confuse facts about the mission and the timeline of events that happened especially if you have bad PTSD. But you won't mistake if you had been there or not!

`
I've never seen Brian Williams and only know what I read online. However, since the corporations have turned news from a "public service" into a "for profit" center, journalistic integrity has taken a nose dive. We have Fox "entertainment" news which led the pack into the sensationalistic, tabloid style of reporting. MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS and unfortunately, CNN, are following suit.

The icon of trusted journalists and reporters such as Walter Cronkite are long over. Now we have news celebrities with little or no journalistic training or experience. So, in a manner of speaking, it doesn't matter who replaces Williams. The corporates will end up choosing someone who fits the profitability paradigm which definitely includes looking good.

I'm glad I get all my news online.

If Brian Williams gets fired perhaps he won't spend so much time in the tanning bed. Can't say I will miss his tanning goggle eyes.

If Brian Williams gets fired he will have more time to pen his memoirs. Im sure there are readers wondering what it was like to be on the first wave during the attack at Normandy. Or what it was like to be seated behind the standing General Washington as he took his courageous soldiers across the Potomac River in the still of night. Or how it felt to have the first wave of arrows and spears coming at you while being surrounded at Little Big Horn as a war correspondent alongside entrenched with the 7th Cav.

Come to think of it...I think if Brian Williams does get canned...we have the pilot for a whole new TV show.

What if Brian Williams gets fired? The world will still turn, life will go on and Hannity will still troll for dicks in the mens room.

And it won't make journalists any more honest, they'll just be more careful in disguising their lies.

I've always liked the guy... but unlike politicians, whose job it is to exaggerate their own accomplishment while pimping for votes, Brian Williams is a journalist. All a journalist has are his ethics and his credibility. He has lost both, and now previous "exploits" he has bragged about are under extremely strict scrutiny.

I now believe that the same thing that made Williams shoot to the top... his ability to spin a spellbinding tale of his experience in current war zones/disaster areas... will be his downfall, since those tales can no longer be believed. If he worked for me, I'd fire him on the spot.

As for who should replace him, I could not possibly care less.

Wow, ethics and credibility are more important in journalists than our countries leadership!? That's striking, maybe that's why we're so deficient.

Is there confirmation that he lied. And if he lied and no one died, he should be fired, but a president lies, people die as a result, and he just gets a second term. Gawd, no wonder we're in the shape we are.

Lester Holt is filling in for him the next few days while he's on his self-imposed exile. I like Lester, so we'll see how he does.

Some people who pop into my mind:

Chuck Todd
Willie Geist
Jake Tapper

Lester Holt is filling in for him the next few days while he's on his self-imposed exile. I like Lester, so we'll see how he does.

Some people who pop into my mind:

Chuck Todd
Willie Geist
Jake Tapper

Haven't thought of those people mostly because I don't know who half of them are, but those are generally on other networks and lower on the totem pole. I'm sure NBC will stick with their own before hiring outside people.

Great, sets a great precedent. Like don't lie. Report the news, don't lie. Don't wish to become part of the story. Don't lie.

Haven't thought of those people mostly because I don't know who half of them are, but those are generally on other networks and lower on the totem pole. I'm sure NBC will stick with their own before hiring outside people.

Willie Geist is a co-host on Morning Joe (MSNBC)
Chuck Todd is the host of Meet The Press (NBC)
Jake Tapper is Chief Washington Correspondent at CNN and hosts his own show

If people watched, it would matter, but they don't, so it doesn't.

Chris Wallace of FoxNews Sunday was once the Host of NBC's Meet The Press, I think it's possible for NBC to offer him a deal he couldn't refuse. I don't know how popular he would be, though.

Back
Top Bottom