• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if a Republican said this?

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
"we need to deepen “our ports all along the Gulf — in places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida.”

we would have endless threads saying how stupid republicans are. It would be on the evening news every night for a week. it would be the blunt of jokes by comedians and left wing opinion shows for months. It would be used by democrats in their campaign commercials. But because Obama said it it gets swept under the rug hoping no one noticed

What if Grandma had balls?
"we need to deepen “our ports all along the Gulf — in places like Charleston, South Carolina, or Savannah, Georgia, or Jacksonville, Florida.”

we would have endless threads saying how stupid republicans are. It would be on the evening news every night for a week. it would be the blunt of jokes by comedians and left wing opinion shows for months. It would be used by democrats in their campaign commercials. But because Obama said it it gets swept under the rug hoping no one noticed

they serve the Gulf, even if they aren’t actually on it.

Sorry conservatives, Obama didn’t gaffe on Leno - Salon.com

Last edited:

ATLANTA Newt Gingrich, campaigning at the state Capitol today, said he would deepen Savannah’s port if he’s elected president.

Nobody made the jokes you claimed would most certainly occur.

Where are the 'endless' threads mocking Mr Gingrich? I wonder?

And those campaign commercials using Mr gingrich's position - also non-existent

That means YOU FAIL. Epically.

Last edited:

Considering how he said that he had done 57 states with one to go in 2008, politicians will always say stupid things, the problem is that republicans normally say stupid things about high profile issues, such as abortion (and that guy who talked about the shutting down). Whereas deepening ports along the gulf isn't exactly No.1 on Americas list of things to do.

That's just a lousy excuse. If a Republican had said it we'd have done better than that.

Yep, a Republican would be absolutely raked over the coals.

Nathan Deal, the republican gov. of Georgia, has said that we need to deepen the port in Savannah. The media has not made one joke about Deals support for deepening the port

Obviously, the republican Deal is a part of the liberal conspiracy.

Wow...I'm so tired of the Conservative persecution complex! Everything that happens at all turns in to a snivel fest of "if this was us waaaah".

That's just a lousy excuse. If a Republican had said it we'd have done better than that.

Here is the problem that both sides make. Waiting for something, anything that can be grabbed hold of and twisted into a "scandal" or a "gaffe". He is an incredibly intelligent man and I give him the benefit of the doubt. When Bush was in office, wanna talk about gaffes!, people tried to paint him as having an evil agenda etc. and I never hoped on that bandwagon or any other. As long as both sides do nothing more than stand opposite each other waiting for a failure or human misstep to hang your hat on there will be nothing but petty partisan bickering.

YAY! you finally might have gotten one on Obama. I am so happy for you guys, after all these years it looks like he might have screwed up on geography. Of course, he always thought there was 57 states, but you guys won one. Well, have fun, after all you deserve it for all that waiting and all the effort you spent making up crap. I hope for your sake this doesn't end up being some insane misquote yet again, but it looks like this did actually happen so I would say it is pretty safe from republican boobery. Celebrate away, you are not always wrong, but when you are you drink budweiser. Which is probably why they sell the most beer.

Nathan Deal, the republican gov. of Georgia, has said that we need to deepen the port in Savannah. The media has not made one joke about Deals support for deepening the port

your just as ignorant as Obama do you not know the port in Savannah is not on the Gulf like Obama said it is. This is the point of this thread not that he wants to deepen ports it is about him not even knowing where they are. I guess Obama skipped to many geography classes to step out back to smoke some weed. No wonder he has hid his school records from us

your just as ignorant as Obama do you not know the port in Savannah is not on the Gulf like Obama said it is. This is the point of this thread not that he wants to deepen ports is because he doesn't even know where they are

So *that's* what you're all excited about?

I say "run with it"!! Tell all your friends and everyone you encounter about the tremendous goof up Obama made.

i think the controversy is over Obama calling the cities Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville "gulf ports" even though the cities of Charleston and Savannah are located nowhere near the gulf of Mexico.

Here is the problem that both sides make. Waiting for something, anything that can be grabbed hold of and twisted into a "scandal" or a "gaffe". He is an incredibly intelligent man and I give him the benefit of the doubt. When Bush was in office, wanna talk about gaffes!, people tried to paint him as having an evil agenda etc. and I never hoped on that bandwagon or any other. As long as both sides do nothing more than stand opposite each other waiting for a failure or human misstep to hang your hat on there will be nothing but petty partisan bickering.

the point of the thread is not getting one over on Obama it is about the double standard the hypocrisy. Because the reaction would be a whole lot different if a republican would have said it. It would have not been swept under the rug by the media it would have been front page news. Every republican would be forced to pay a price and you know it

ATLANTA Newt Gingrich, campaigning at the state Capitol today, said he would deepen Savannah’s port if he’s elected president.

Nobody made the jokes you claimed would most certainly occur.

Where are the 'endless' threads mocking Mr Gingrich? I wonder?

And those campaign commercials using Mr gingrich's position - also non-existent

That means YOU FAIL. Epically.

Say what?

the point of the thread is not getting one over on Obama it is about the double standard the hypocrisy. Because the reaction would be a whole lot different if a republican would have said it. It would have not been swept under the rug by the media it would have been front page news. Every republican would be forced to pay a price and you know it

That's nonsense.

your just as ignorant as Obama do you not know the port in Savannah is not on the Gulf like Obama said it is. This is the point of this thread not that he wants to deepen ports it is about him not even knowing where they are. I guess Obama skipped to many geography classes to step out back to smoke some weed. No wonder he has hid his school records from us

I think Sangy realizes by now he's made a blunder.

My bad. Didn't realize that a 'gaffe' was the point of your original post.

My answer in that case is that anyone that talks so much in public makes tens (hundreds?) of stupid gaffes. This is not party specific and using these gaffes as ammo is most certainly not party specific - just a bit immature.

Opendebate ... did you even read that Salon article? The best they could do to defend Obama's gaffe storm was to say they're no big deal.
You really shouldn't repeat stuff like that as though it has substance ... it makes both you & Salon look bad

I read it and knew that would be the response of some. My point is that the conservatives lob an assault and the liberals lob back a defense and so on and so forth into infinity. I'll give you that I did not make that point very well. My real point is the statement that follows. I don't care and do not listen to the petty insults, it is distracting blather that keeps all of us distracted from real issues and ultimately from real solutions.

Opendebate ... did you even read that Salon article? The best they could do to defend Obama's gaffe storm was to say they're no big deal.
You really shouldn't repeat stuff like that as though it has substance ... it makes both you & Salon look bad

The difference is that things bush* said were funny, while saying that Savannah, GA is along the Gulf Coast is wrong, but not funny

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." -Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Now *that* is comedy gold

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" -Florence, South Carolina, Jan. 11, 2000

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." -Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

The difference is Republicans are stupid. You're confusing slips of the tongue with the kind of profound ignorance and intellectual laziness of Palin or Issa or Cruz.

And thus you've proved again how stupid Republicans are.

Holy cow ... the lefties sure gave up on their gaffe machine quick.
"It's no big deal" is always the final resort.
At least they can still buck themselves up by repeating the "phony scandal" meme.

Back
Top Bottom