• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What I learned in last night's debate

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It was so frustrating to watch, but also not exactly unexpected.

The Democrats are willing to keep playing by the rules. They chose a very establishment politician as their front man and he stuck to all the classic talking points. What the Democrats don't get is that Trump doesn't play by the rules. He gets 2 minutes to talk and he keeps talking. When the opponent talks on his own time, Trump interrupts. Trump baits his opponent (successfully) away from whatever he was trying to say, and into heated, irrelevant issues. Trump goes for the personal attacks while Biden is still trying to behave like a (now old school) professional politician.

I saw a quote recently, wish I could remember the origin... but it's like the Democrats and Republicans are playing chess. The GOP (or Trump, more specifically) sets the house on fire in order to win, and the Democrats keep trying to play chess.

Biden had such golden opportunities to nail Trump to the cross, like the issue of taxation. Trump outright lied when he said he paid millions in 2016-2017. The tax files clearly say he paid next to nothing. He could've also nailed him on the fact that he didn't speak out against white nationalists. These are points he could've kept pushing but he allowed himself to be continually baited.

I'm so disappointed with how weak of an opponent Biden is. People will vote for him just because they hate Trump, but honestly, Biden can't beat Trump in a debate. Trump ran circles around him.

The Dems could've really benefited from choosing a slightly more radical leader. Maybe Warren, or Sanders. I don't know. (I'm not for or against, I usually vote independent.) I can imagine others having a much more successful time of tearing into Trump. Even Hillary did better.

Such a shame. We are really in a sorry state right now. We have a dark element in control and the best opposition that can be mustered is a guy who clearly has cognitive issues and doesn't have the power to really go up against someone like Trump.

It was so frustrating to watch, but also not exactly unexpected.

The Democrats are willing to keep playing by the rules. They chose a very establishment politician as their front man and he stuck to all the classic talking points. What the Democrats don't get is that Trump doesn't play by the rules. He gets 2 minutes to talk and he keeps talking. When the opponent talks on his own time, Trump interrupts. Trump baits his opponent (successfully) away from whatever he was trying to say, and into heated, irrelevant issues. Trump goes for the personal attacks while Biden is still trying to behave like a (now old school) professional politician.

I saw a quote recently, wish I could remember the origin... but it's like the Democrats and Republicans are playing chess. The GOP (or Trump, more specifically) sets the house on fire in order to win, and the Democrats keep trying to play chess.

Biden had such golden opportunities to nail Trump to the cross, like the issue of taxation. Trump outright lied when he said he paid millions in 2016-2017. The tax files clearly say he paid next to nothing. He could've also nailed him on the fact that he didn't speak out against white nationalists. These are points he could've kept pushing but he allowed himself to be continually baited.

I'm so disappointed with how weak of an opponent Biden is. People will vote for him just because they hate Trump, but honestly, Biden can't beat Trump in a debate. Trump ran circles around him.

The Dems could've really benefited from choosing a slightly more radical leader. Maybe Warren, or Sanders. I don't know. (I'm not for or against, I usually vote independent.) I can imagine others having a much more successful time of tearing into Trump. Even Hillary did better.

Such a shame. We are really in a sorry state right now. We have a dark element in control and the best opposition that can be mustered is a guy who clearly has cognitive issues and doesn't have the power to really go up against someone like Trump.
Why are you pretending not to know things?

Biden interrupted Trump first. Wallace interrupted Trump second.

When Trump saw how the debate was going to be played, he played it better than either of the others.

120536067_10165530750930725_6816139288172007190_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom