• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What I’ve learned so far about Hospice

• People usually wait too long to take advantage of this wonderful service.
  • Their focus is totally and completely focused on comfort care.
  • A morphine side effect is to improve breathing.
  • They give you morphine and show you how to use it to do so. And how to use it for pain relief.
  • All comfort medications are free... those for comfort. They are delivered to your door same day.
  • You aren’t supposed to go to the ER. You’re free to go, of course, but the ride and treatment is on you.
  • You can sign in and out of hospice as often as you’d like.
  • They don’t pay for inhalers, but do pay for nebulizer treatment which is actually better.
  • Keep your Medicare Part D to pay for meds hospice doesn’t cover. High blood pressure meds are a good example as are more convenient inhalers for those who are out and about.
  • Keep your Medicare Supplement, if you break a hip as an example, it will not be treated by Hospice, but you can sign out of Hospice and then Medicare and your supplement will take over. (Even though they don’t treat it, you will be kept comfortabl by Hospice.)
  • You can ask them to pull your oxygen and sedate you any time, even if you need supplemental oxygen to live. Your HCPOA can order the same thing.
  • Make sure Hospice meets your HCPOA and his or her backup.
  • They will honestly and without judgement answer every question you ask.
  • They are compassionate people with a calling. Angels without wings,
  • Massages are free. Music therapy is free. They send a musician to your home who will play most any practical instrument you choose. Art therapy is free. Many interesting options. Chaplain visits or the denomination of your choice. They can send someone to help you with personal hygiene.
  • They will make sure you are not in pain.
  • Most people do not involve hospice with a close family member until the very last days. This often causes unnecessary suffering.
  • Involve Hospice very early if a loved one has been diagnosed as terminal. You just need a doctor referral.

I can’t help but think that one of the reasons I’m still around is to share information about my journey with others. Thus this post. Signing into hospice is not giving up. It’s your best friend.

Hey sister,

Thank you so much for sharing. God bless you.

Sending wishes of peace your way, Sister!

:2wave:

Maggie,
You are truly an inspiration!

Wonderful post! The true meaning of Hospice. So many think of hospice in the final few days but
their true mission is to help a person be as comfortable and content as the situation will allow.

Hospice folks are very special people who help so many make the transition when it's time. They also do
wonders for family and friends. Yes they are angles on earth. God Bless you MaggieD.

Thank you all for your kind and supportive comments. They mean more than you know.

And, yes, CommonSense, far too many people think Hospice is a death watch that one should keep away as long as possible. And in addition to your wise statement of their mission, I would also add that their goal is to take away one’s fears AND, being engaged early enough, to help their charges live as full a life as possible for as LONG as possible.

What a wonderful organization...

Maggie, my father in law spent the last 2 weeks in Hospice, but they had a nurse (maybe several) that provided in-home care prior to his move there. He was on morphine and Oxy way before that, though. I credit those drugs with giving him at least 6 extra months of comfortable times with his wife, kids, family and friends.

Bless you, and thanks for staying in touch and providing these informative updates.

[video=youtube;7Xf-Lesrkuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xf-Lesrkuc&index=6&list=RDcjVQ36NhbMk[/video]

For you Maggie -

You love life don't you? I think it loves you back. :mrgreen:

[video=youtube;1SiylvmFI_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8[/video]

You’ve done it again, Grip...music is sooo powerful.

All the Best Maggie.
Will miss you.

Back
Top Bottom