• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What have we come to?

No, not "before a tipping point". She claimed, in plain language, that the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change, and that was 2 years ago. I suspect she will look sillier and sillier as 2031 approaches.
The quote was “Millennials and GenZ and all these folks that are coming after us are looking up and saying ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change’ and your biggest issue is how are we going to pay for it.” She then for comparison addressed the a previous generational challenge, WWII, suggesting climate was this generation’s huge challenge. And she went on to make a point about how we do not have to choose between climate and the economy. The 12-year comment indeed referred to a tipping point some scientists have talked about.
Look up the issue, her comments and the negative responses. None that I saw provided context. But why should critics provide context, when their purpose - and perhaps yours - is not to discuss the issue of 12 years or whatever, but to bash AOC.
Odds are something similar happens tonite after Biden’s speech.

The quote was “Millennials and GenZ and all these folks that are coming after us are looking up and saying ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change’ and your biggest issue is how are we going to pay for it.”

You intentionally altered what she said in order to make her look less stupid. You replaced "and we're like" with "and saying".

Here it is fixed:

"Millennials and GenZ and all these folks that are coming after us are looking up, and we're like, ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change’ and your biggest issue is how are we going to pay for it?”

AOC was born in 1989. She is a millennial, which is someone born between 1981 and 1994.

You intentionally altered what she said in order to make her look less stupid. You replaced "and we're like" with "and saying".

Here it is fixed:

"Millennials and GenZ and all these folks that are coming after us are looking up, and we're like, ‘The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change’ and your biggest issue is how are we going to pay for it?”

AOC was born in 1989. She is a millennial, which is someone born between 1981 and 1994.
So?

Warning, as a lefty, what follows will reflect my own biases, but I will try to insert some exampkes folks on the right might appreciate. The purpose of the title of this thread was to highlight the following things past and present that seem to define our gotcha political culture:

- Today FOX is apparently backtracking on the false story that Biden says we can't eat meat; this, after a GOP freak out
- Kudlow talks about plant based beer in response to the phony "no meat" story; makes a bit of a fool of himself, and people jump on him, pretending to miss his sarcastic point
- AOC said we should cut back on air travel and push trains, and people remind her about oceans, as if she was talking about taking a train from NY to London instead of Chicago to St. Louis
- Tucker Carlson says having kids wear masks is the equivalent of beating them
- Romney says corporations are people too, and people make fun, pretending they don't know what he was talking about
- AOC says that young people believe the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change, and people insist on taking her literally
- Dr. Fauci, like a good scientist, adjusts his advice as new information about the pandemic appears or new patterns of infection occur, "Fire Fauci" becomes a battle cry for some on the right
- Republicans toggle between "Reagan proved deficits don't matter" and "O Lordy, Lordy, the debt!", with the key to understanding why they take one side or another at a particular time being who's holds the presidency
- A strong criminal case is made against what Chauvin did to Floyd in Minneapolis and people seem to blame rioters in Portland for the verdict
- The response to the "Black Lives Matter" slogan is a valid "Blue Lives Matter" one, but also a lets-miss-the-point-on-purpose "All Lives Matter."
- Rush Limbaugh says a woman who testified about birth control pills as useful to regulate an erratic menstrual cycle is having so much sex it's amazing she can walk. Trump gives him a Medal of Freedom (no one seen gagging); she has to go through life hearing people say "aren't you the slut?"

Here is where a form of "what aboutism," (otherwise disparaged in DP) would actually be useful, if critics asked "what about?" questions relating to each of the above, to allow the person making the statement to respond. (This probably wouldn't work with Trump, as his reflexive response seems to be to double down rather than walk back.) But current toxic political culture won't allow this.

But the larger question is how this came to pass. Some say it started years ago with the "bomb throwing" by Gingrich, who opposed things he supported just because democrats supported them too. Others, me among them, blame the GOP for not having an agenda, other than hoping for failure. We are not being served well by these ways of non-thinking. How did it come to this?
Really
Don't you think the right can come up with the same BS from the left backed media like CNN? I will give you a recent example- -the 60 minute interview with DeSantis.

P.S. Fauci is now a politician. The data and science regarding mask wearing outdoors was known months ago and he is just coming out with his recommendations now?

Really
Don't you think the right can come up with the same BS from the left backed media like CNN? I will give you a recent example- -the 60 minute interview with DeSantis.

P.S. Fauci is now a politician. The data and science regarding mask wearing outdoors was known months ago and he is just coming out with his recommendations now?
Really

Paranoia strikes deep.

Oh yeah. AOC was serious when she said millennials think the world will end in 12 years. Tucker isn't serious, a regular card, when he laments the browning of America.

Ok, let's compromise. He's serious when he's being a bigot. That's deadly serious GOP politics.

She runs circles around the right daily. She’s only getting more and more popular.

Young, smart, hot. Badass bitch.

She raised millions through social media for freezing Texans faster than Ted Cruz could order a margarita in the Cancun airport.

Meanwhile, conservatives here sift through her poop like amateur detectives.

A simple thank you from them would suffice, while ****ing off.

She's morally superior to them.

Here it is fixed:

Excuuuse me! Sorry, I was going back and forth and copying her words. Yes, she included herself in the group as you suggest. Big deal. She doesn’t look stupid at all either way. She was referring to a concern of scientists. Argue with them, not her. But you are making my point: I dislike Donald Trump. Therefore I could say honestly that he actually said the following words, quoting him in the same creative way as AOC was: “I shoot someone on Fifth Avenue.” Awful. Do you do that regularly, Donald? Just some random person, or perhaps illegal aliens? Similarly, Eric Clapton said he “shot the sheriff.” I heard him admit it several times. Do we arrest him? (To be fair, he denied shooting the deputy.)

Warning, as a lefty, what follows will reflect my own biases, but I will try to insert some exampkes folks on the right might appreciate. The purpose of the title of this thread was to highlight the following things past and present that seem to define our gotcha political culture:

- Today FOX is apparently backtracking on the false story that Biden says we can't eat meat; this, after a GOP freak out
- Kudlow talks about plant based beer in response to the phony "no meat" story; makes a bit of a fool of himself, and people jump on him, pretending to miss his sarcastic point
- AOC said we should cut back on air travel and push trains, and people remind her about oceans, as if she was talking about taking a train from NY to London instead of Chicago to St. Louis
- Tucker Carlson says having kids wear masks is the equivalent of beating them
- Romney says corporations are people too, and people make fun, pretending they don't know what he was talking about
- AOC says that young people believe the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change, and people insist on taking her literally
- Dr. Fauci, like a good scientist, adjusts his advice as new information about the pandemic appears or new patterns of infection occur, "Fire Fauci" becomes a battle cry for some on the right
- Republicans toggle between "Reagan proved deficits don't matter" and "O Lordy, Lordy, the debt!", with the key to understanding why they take one side or another at a particular time being who's holds the presidency
- A strong criminal case is made against what Chauvin did to Floyd in Minneapolis and people seem to blame rioters in Portland for the verdict
- The response to the "Black Lives Matter" slogan is a valid "Blue Lives Matter" one, but also a lets-miss-the-point-on-purpose "All Lives Matter."
- Rush Limbaugh says a woman who testified about birth control pills as useful to regulate an erratic menstrual cycle is having so much sex it's amazing she can walk. Trump gives him a Medal of Freedom (no one seen gagging); she has to go through life hearing people say "aren't you the slut?"

Here is where a form of "what aboutism," (otherwise disparaged in DP) would actually be useful, if critics asked "what about?" questions relating to each of the above, to allow the person making the statement to respond. (This probably wouldn't work with Trump, as his reflexive response seems to be to double down rather than walk back.) But current toxic political culture won't allow this.

But the larger question is how this came to pass. Some say it started years ago with the "bomb throwing" by Gingrich, who opposed things he supported just because democrats supported them too. Others, me among them, blame the GOP for not having an agenda, other than hoping for failure. We are not being served well by these ways of non-thinking. How did it come to this?
Once the need to to appear honest and sincere among your own side is gone, there isn't much restraint on how far each side can take false narratives. This is especially true for the left which has the advantage of legacy media to put a veneer of credibility on propaganda, along with academia and holiwood and corporate pitching in as well. Pilitico just. Got caught ina blatant falsehood which in the past would have been damaging. Today it's no biggie. Make up an excuse and your side will move on.

Once the need to to appear honest and sincere among your own side is gone, there isn't much restraint on how far each side can take false narratives. This is especially true for the left which has the advantage of legacy media to put a veneer of credibility on propaganda, along with academia and holiwood and corporate pitching in as well. Pilitico just. Got caught ina blatant falsehood which in the past would have been damaging. Today it's no biggie. Make up an excuse and your side will move on.
For the life of me I have never bought nor understood the media as leftist. I do think that following the depression and WWII, with the respective lessons that capitalism didn't always work perfectly and that communism wasn't the only problematic ideology, the Walter Cronkite's of the world explored those sorts of stories. We are a conservative country, so stories played down the middle seems leftish to the right.

If we constantly saw stories about exploitive sweatshops, more stories like the one about a deadly fire in a food processing plant where management had chained doors shut, I might be convinced of a liberal media bias. How many Americans will be told by the media that day after tomorrow, International Workers Day, is on May 1 to commemorate the fight for an eight-hour day -- in the US!! -- that the AFL chose it to commemorate the fight for an 8-hour day. How many will be told that the only countries (that I am aware of) that don't celebrate it are the US and Canada. Even the Catholic Church, no Commies they, celebrates it, calling May 1 the feast of St. Joseph the Worker. If the media is liberal, why might so few reading this know what the Ludlow massacre was? Or of possible the largest kidnapping in US history, of 1300 striking mine workers and moving them in cattle cars through the desert in July sans food and water from Bisbee, AZ to New Mexico where they were dumped. Surely this is as worthy of a story as the gunfight in nearby Tombstone. No it's not. We don't care about labor history. If our media were as liberal as conservatives thing, we would be familiar with that story. (I didn't know about it til I visited Bisbee, which is pretty and worth a look if you are in the neighborhood.)

Where there may have been a liberal bias might have been in the coverage of the civil rights movement back then, and the women's movement and the environment now. Gay rights as well. I don't remember many interviews years ago where segregationists got to explain why blacks shouldn't vote. But old civil rights coverage reflected an emerging consensus in the public back then, and recent women's and gay movement and environmental coverage that may seem liberal to conservatives reflect a general consensus now on those issues.

Last edited:
LOL, you can't be serious.

Great sources, the NY Post and Project Not So Veritas. Destroys my entire argument.

Btw, the Post just had to retract their Harris children’s book phony story. The true scandal, however, is that migrant kids are being fed solely a diet of all the meat Biden has deprived Americans of.

Great sources, the NY Post and Project Not So Veritas. Destroys my entire argument.

Btw, the Post just had to retract their Harris children’s book phony story. The true scandal, however, is that migrant kids are being fed solely a diet of all the meat Biden has deprived Americans of.
yea, can't believe a video with recording.

Great diversion from the post. Talk about phony stories, you forgot to mention the 60 minutes piece.
How long has the Post been around? Was this story also censored?

For the life of me I have never bought nor understood the media as leftist. I do think that following the depression and WWII, with the respective lessons that capitalism didn't always work perfectly and that communism wasn't the only problematic ideology, the Walter Cronkite's of the world explored those sorts of stories. We are a conservative country, so stories played down the middle seems leftish to the right.

If we constantly saw stories about exploitive sweatshops, more stories like the one about a deadly fire in a food processing plant where management had chained doors shut, I might be convinced of a liberal media bias. How many Americans will be told by the media that day after tomorrow, International Workers Day, is on May 1 to commemorate the fight for an eight-hour day -- in the US!! -- that the AFL chose it to commemorate the fight for an 8-hour day. How many will be told that the only countries (that I am aware of) that don't celebrate it are the US and Canada. Even the Catholic Church, no Commies they, celebrates it, calling May 1 the feast of St. Joseph the Worker. If the media is liberal, why might so few reading this know what the Ludlow massacre was? Or of possible the largest kidnapping in US history, of 1300 striking mine workers and moving them in cattle cars through the desert in July sans food and water from Bisbee, AZ to New Mexico where they were dumped. Surely this is as worthy of a story as the gunfight in nearby Tombstone. No it's not. We don't care about labor history. If our media were as liberal as conservatives thing, we would be familiar with that story. (I didn't know about it til I visited Bisbee, which is pretty and worth a look if you are in the neighborhood.)

Where there may have been a liberal bias might have been in the coverage of the civil rights movement back then, and the women's movement and the environment now. Gay rights as well. I don't remember many interviews years ago where segregationists got to explain why blacks shouldn't vote. But old civil rights coverage reflected an emerging consensus in the public back then, and recent women's and gay movement and environmental coverage that may seem liberal to conservatives reflect a general consensus now on those issues.
If yo don't think the NYT WP cbs nbx cnn are left, no point trying to reason with you.

yea, can't believe a video with recording.

Great diversion from the post. Talk about phony stories, you forgot to mention the 60 minutes piece.
How long has the Post been around? Was this story also censored?
You have heard about O'Keefe's editing techniques, haven't you? The story still smells. One staffer brags that he killed the king to a gal he's dating. You should hear how important I sounded to women I knew.
If yo don't think the NYT WP cbs nbx cnn are left, no point trying to reason with you.
And why should I think that? Perhaps it’s not the media, but reality that has a liberal bias. Most people support progressive legislation of the last 90 years, perhaps longer if one goes back to Teddy R.
The right has been losing arguments for decades. Makes sense that they would attack the messenger. Better that arguing about the message. As I said in my original post, the average Americans ignorance of labor history is one example of media bias, and it isn’t to the left.

You have heard about O'Keefe's editing techniques, haven't you? The story still smells. One staffer brags that he killed the king to a gal he's dating. You should hear how important I sounded to women I knew.
Yea, I have heard about O'Keefe editing techniques, just like those of CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC.

Yea, I have heard about O'Keefe editing techniques, just like those of CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC.
Really? O'Keefe is a phony, one who has been caught fudging interviews and has never to my knowledge ever issued a retraction or explained his curious editing style, though he has had to pay off some people.

Really? O'Keefe is a phony, one who has been caught fudging interviews and has never to my knowledge ever issued a retraction or explained his curious editing style, though he has had to pay off some people.
Can you tell me where I can find CBS retraction after their editing of DeSantis?
What about the retraction from CNN on the Sandman story or the Duke players?
What did Rolling Stone do after their fake story.

Can you tell me where I can find CBS retraction after their editing of DeSantis?
I assume that if they are called on it accurately, they print or publish retractions or correct the record. I often see such things. But O'Keefe is different. When he did his story pretending to be a pimp, he didn't note that cops were called afterwards, nor that ACORN was cleared of wrongdoing. If really interested in *veritas*, don't you think he should have included that as a footnote to his piece? One might accuse MSNBC or FOX for reporting on a story, and then giving it a liberal or conservative spin. But O'Keefe is does not seem interested in reporting or even spinning, but in destroying institutions he dislikes. Find a mainstream news outlet, one that has reported thousands of stories, whose record of deception can match the number of incidents referenced below in O'Keefe's relatively tiny body of work:

There are reasons to skewer some liberal hypocrisies or silliness. Project Veritas is not one of them. Would you trust O'Keefe to do a balanced, accurate story on flaws in an institution you care about or one you support, or would you prefer that FOX, CNN, or MSNBC do it?

Years ago I used to work for Amnesty International USA. The organization has changed since I left it, so I don't know if this practice still applies: When reporting on an issue in a country, we used to send that country's authorities a draft of our unpublished report, with a offer to include their response, defense, or additional information in our final, published one. And we would. O'Keefe can't be expected to imitate that completely in broadcasting, but if he wanted to be taken seriously as a truth-seeking journalist he could move in that direction. He doesn't.

Last edited:
Gee, I found out about the Duke story being wrong from the same news outlets who reported it. The Duke story, had it appealed to the right or faulted a liberal institution, would have been right up O'Keefe's alley.

Back
Top Bottom