• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Happens When Indictments of Trumps Happen?

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The Country Is On the Cusp of a New Era (The Atlantic, Opinion)

"America is inching closer to a possibility it has never seen before: the indictment and trial of a former president."

The reason I put This here is that the article is too old for "Breaking News", it's one of a large number of similar opinion pieces, it's a legal issue but a social question. I think it likely that DJT will be indicted, but it may be some time, because minions, underlings, associates and organizations will be indicted first (that's how criminal enterprises are rolled up). On the other hand, there is the statute of limitations to consider. IF that happens, what do you think the fallout is likely to be?

From the article by Kimberly Wehle, Professor of law at the University of Baltimore:
Individual corporate officers can be charged along with a corporation. This is where Trump, his top affiliates, and his family are all in potential trouble. Trump’s tax counsel in 2016 described him as “the sole or principal owner in approximately 500 separate entities [that] do business as The Trump Organization.” It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which none of this comes back to Trump himself.
As president, Donald Trump dodged conviction despite two impeachment trials on three counts of constitutional wrongdoing. Now his own criminal and civil liability, as well as that of his businesses, his staff, and his children, are squarely within the sights of the rule of law. Former Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell put it plainly in his remarkable speech justifying his vote to acquit Trump for his role in the January 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol: “We have a criminal justice system in this country. We have civil litigation. And former presidents are not immune from being held accountable by either one.”

Last edited:
“No one is above the law,” or so we’ve always been told.

"America is inching closer to a possibility it has never seen before: the indictment and trial of a former president."

The reason I put This here is that the article is too old for "Breaking News", it's one of a large number of similar opinion pieces, it's a legal issue but a social question. I think it likely that DJT will be indicted, but it may be some time, because minions, underlings, associates and organizations will be indicted first (that's how criminal enterprises are rolled up). On the other hand, there is the statute of limitations to consider. IF that happens, what do you think the fallout is likely to be?

From the article by Kimberly Wehle, Professor of law at the University of Baltimore:
Magical fairies fart pink clouds and unicorns vomit rainbows.

What Happens When Indictments of Trumps Happen?​

1. Hell freezes over.
2. Palestinians and Israelis hold hands in a gigantic circle and sing Kumbia.
3. Lennon's song comes true.
4. Utopia.
5. (and for the Christians...) Heaven on Earth.

If he gets indicted. Im not holding my breath.

It would be nice to think that the rich also have to live by the same rules as everyone else.
At the moment that doesn't seem to be the case.

What Happens When Indictments of Trumps Happen?​

1. Hell freezes over.
2. Palestinians and Israelis hold hands in a gigantic circle and sing Kumbia.
3. Lennon's song comes true.
4. Utopia.
5. (and for the Christians...) Heaven on Earth.

I know you're desperate to absolve Trump of and possibility that he may have committed a crime but why exactly is he worthy of being immune to the law?

I know you're desperate to absolve Trump of and possibility that he may have committed a crime but why exactly is he worthy of being immune to the law?
He's not immune to the law, and there is no evidence of any crime he needs to be absolved for.

(But I'm sure people will continue to search high and low for something, right?)

He's not immune to the law, and there is no evidence of any crime he needs to be absolved for.

(But I'm sure people will continue to search high and low for something, right?)

He's under multiple investigations and until they're completed nobody can say for certain either way.
There's a chance he may be indicted and charged with crimes but you seem to think even investigating Trump is somehow wrong.

Needs to be amended to read, "Nobody who is not a Democrat is above the law".

He's under multiple investigations and until they're completed nobody can say for certain either way.
There's a chance he may be indicted and charged with crimes but you seem to think even investigating Trump is somehow wrong.
I'm against investigations that "search for a crime".

What happens ?? Same thing that always happens-------"DENY, DISTRACT, DISCREDIT"

What happens ?? Same thing that always happens-------"DENY, DISTRACT, DISCREDIT"
Well, yes. But I was thinking bigger picture. Personally, I think several things would happen. First, as you posit, True Believer Trumplodytes will continue their blather techniques (especially here). But I think it will divide his base. Some will come back to the GOP and pretend they never liked the guy. (That you, Lindsay?) Some of the totally-Q folks will become more militant, perhaps violently so.

But I think the majority will be unfazed, and even enthused. It will be a return to normalcy and the rule of law for the country. I don't think it should be earth shattering. We survived Nixon. AG John Mitchell was tried and convicted, and no one was perturbed. Agnew, too. The Justice system operated, for the most part, during Iran-contra (until it didn't).

I don't think it warrants gnashing of teeth and doomsaying. Bibi and the Dons can share a cell. Ivanka, of course, will have to be housed separately. Ho hum.

Well, yes. But I was thinking bigger picture. Personally, I think several things would happen. First, as you posit, True Believer Trumplodytes will continue their blather techniques (especially here). But I think it will divide his base. Some will come back to the GOP and pretend they never liked the guy. (That you, Lindsay?) Some of the totally-Q folks will become more militant, perhaps violently so.

But I think the majority will be unfazed, and even enthused. It will be a return to normalcy and the rule of law for the country. I don't think it should be earth shattering. We survived Nixon. AG John Mitchell was tried and convicted, and no one was perturbed. Agnew, too. The Justice system operated, for the most part, during Iran-contra (until it didn't).

I don't think it warrants gnashing of teeth and doomsaying. Bibi and the Dons can share a cell. Ivanka, of course, will have to be housed separately. Ho hum.
Well-------Trump makes Nixon (and the rest of 'em) look like angels. Those people were corrupt (big deal), but Trump aided our enemies and all but destroyed the nation. He still could (he, and his followers)....

I'm against investigations that "search for a crime".

Until recently, our Just Us System discovered a crime and investigated the crime following the evidence to where it led.

In the US we laughed about the Soviet Style law enforcement that targeted a political opponent and perverted the laws to bring him down.

Now we see that our Just Us Department is doing EXACTLY the same thing.

It's too bad. We had a good run.

Back
Top Bottom