• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happens to the states that don't have exchanges?

YoungConserv

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm curious I remember a big deal being made about some states refusing to set up exchanges but now it doesn't seem to matter what's the deal?

I'm curious I remember a big deal being made about some states refusing to set up exchanges but now it doesn't seem to matter what's the deal?

They have to go through the federal exchange

When Obamacare was created, it was done so with the idea the state would create their own exchange, and the federal website would basically be a portal to the state sites. You'll notice how the state exchanges have worked relatively well. However, due mostly (I believe) to politics, a large number of states refused to create their own and instead forced the federal government to build their exchange for them. This is one of the reasons (I believe) the federal website has had so many problems.

To make a short answer shorter, the deal is the states which did not set up their own use the federal site.

When Obamacare was created, it was done so with the idea the state would create their own exchange, and the federal website would basically be a portal to the state sites. You'll notice how the state exchanges have worked relatively well. However, due mostly (I believe) to politics, a large number of states refused to create their own and instead forced the federal government to build their exchange for them. This is one of the reasons (I believe) the federal website has had so many problems.

To make a short answer shorter, the deal is the states which did not set up their own use the federal site.

I knew there was a good reason for the amount of egg on Obama's vest.

But I thought the bill was worded that the states had to set up their own exchanges with no provision for a federal exchange.

I think it boils down to those state who have not set up their exchanges feel the federal government doesn't have the right to force someone to buy health insurances. The SCOTUS has ruled otherwise. But that is their convection and by not setting them up they are staying true to those convictions. It was like them saying, Alright, it is constitutional but we still think it is wrong, so do it on your own. we are not going to help you do something we think is wrong. My opinion.

So now the federal government has to set up a federal exchange to encompass everything that a state exchange was suppose to do along with the federal exchange. The ACA has become an abortion battle all over again. Abortion is legal, but people will continue to fight it until the world is no more.

But I thought the bill was worded that the states had to set up their own exchanges with no provision for a federal exchange.
I'm not sure if it was required for the states to set up their own or not. I remember another poster who said it was required, but the Supreme Court overturned that provision, meaning it was optional for states to set them up.

I did a brief look for that on Google, but I didn't see anything which confirmed or denied it.

They had to and expand medicaid or their residents couldn't get the subsidy and the state lost all medicaid funding, but the SCOTUS reined in that hammer.

They had to and expand medicaid or their residents couldn't get the subsidy and the state lost all medicaid funding, but the SCOTUS reined in that hammer.

So they changed the law?

So they changed the law?

Fischer is completely confused between the issue of expanding Medicaid and the establishment of state exchanges for insurance

ACA contained a provision that made fed financing of Medicaid contingent upon the states expanding Medicaid coverage. That provision was struck down by the Supreme Court

ACA contained other provisions which offered grants to states that agreed to set up their own exchanges. Some states took advantage of those grants and set up their own exchanges. Others did not, so the fed set up an exchange for them under provisions of the ACA.

To my understanding it is like pension plans in Canada, states can have one if they want one but they do not have to.

Fischer is completely confused between the issue of expanding Medicaid and the establishment of state exchanges for insurance

ACA contained a provision that made fed financing of Medicaid contingent upon the states expanding Medicaid coverage. That provision was struck down by the Supreme Court

ACA contained other provisions which offered grants to states that agreed to set up their own exchanges. Some states took advantage of those grants and set up their own exchanges. Others did not, so the fed set up an exchange for them under provisions of the ACA.
See I thought only the states could create these exchanges is there a provision allowing the Feds to make a exchange for the states?

To my understanding it is like pension plans in Canada, states can have one if they want one but they do not have to.

But are the citizens of that state exempt from the taxes associated with it?

See I thought only the states could create these exchanges is there a provision allowing the Feds to make a exchange for the states?

the states had the option of creating their own exchanges. but if they decided to opt out, the federal government would create one in the state that is run by the federal government.

Under the ACA, those states not creating an exchange, necessitating the creation of a federal exchange for the state(s) has the apparent unintended consequence of those people in those states not qualifying for the subsidy. Under the ACA, state exchanges qualified for subsidies to individuals to assist in the purchase price of insurance but the ACA doesn't authorize subsidies for those using the federal exchange to buy insurance. Ooppss!

Under the ACA, those states not creating an exchange, necessitating the creation of a federal exchange for the state(s) has the apparent unintended consequence of those people in those states not qualifying for the subsidy. Under the ACA, state exchanges qualified for subsidies to individuals to assist in the purchase price of insurance but the ACA doesn't authorize subsidies for those using the federal exchange to buy insurance. Ooppss!

That is not true

There is no federal exchange. There are state exchanges which were built by the feds.

That is not true

There is no federal exchange. There are state exchanges which were built by the feds.

It is true. Read the freaking law! Federal exchanges created on behalf of the states not making their own isn't eligible for subsidies. Read the statute for heavens sake!

It is true. Read the freaking law! Federal exchanges created on behalf of the states not making their own isn't eligible for subsidies. Read the statute for heavens sake!

I have read it. No exchanges are eligible for subsidies. Individuals are eligible for subsidies

I have read it. No exchanges are eligible for subsidies. Individuals are eligible for subsidies

You should pay better attention to what I said. I reject your strawman argument. I didn't say exchanges were eligible for subsidies. I said "people" wouldn't get the subsidy. I applaud your effort to construe my statement to say something it never did! Bravo you may now exit stage right!

"Under the ACA, those states not creating an exchange, necessitating the creation of a federal exchange for the state(s) has the apparent unintended consequence of those PEOPLE in those states not qualifying for the subsidy." Emphasis mine.

You should pay better attention to what I said. I reject your strawman argument. I didn't say exchanges were eligible for subsidies. I said "people" wouldn't get the subsidy. I applaud your effort to construe my statement to say something it never did! Bravo you may now exit stage right!

People who buy on the exchange, and meet the eligibility guidelines are eligible for subsidies regardless of who is running the website.

healthcare.gov is being run for them.

We still get real HC, screw the GOP run states.

And when millions of low wage workers leave those states because of no medicaid expansion, then they will have no one
to work for them for $8k year.

Not quite.

The loop hole is employer based coverage for familys that dont get the subsidies.

Fed or state exchange makes no difference. We will still get affordable real HC.

Fed or state exchange makes no difference. We will still get affordable real HC.

This is not correct as this comment relates to subsidies and whether the state or federal government established the exchange.

If this comment is not in regards to what I said about subsidies and exchanges, then ignore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom