• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened to follow the science?

(Continued)
Also:

Q: Many experts have said they expect COVID-19 to become an endemic disease. How does a disease go from being acute to endemic? What factors shape the transition to endemicity? What’s a likely timeline for COVID-19 to become endemic?​
A: The expectation that COVID-19 will become endemic essentially means that the pandemic will not end with the virus disappearing; instead, the optimistic view is that enough people will gain immune protection from vaccination and from natural infection such that there will be less transmission and much less COVID-19-related hospitalization and death, even as the virus continues to circulate.

Witness large numbers of people who attend sporting events such as the Super Bowl, masks being a rare sight.

The pandemic is over. The people have declared it so with their actions, which speak very much louder than words.
The government's expanded powers, justified by the pandemic, will need to be rescinded, this is the reality, and this is what drives those who want more government power to adopt the COVID-Zero mentality.

Your points about filtration and the size of virus particles are well made.

The recommendation that paper masks could prevent the spread of a virus wasn't based on any science other than political science.

End the Covid-Zero Mentality
By THE EDITORS, December 22, 2021​
As the Omicron variant rips through areas of the United States with among the highest vaccination rates in the world, it should be abundantly clear that we will not be able to “end” Covid. But we still have the power to end the “Covid zero” mentality.​
The “Covid zero” mentality is an overriding belief that there is some ideal combination of government restrictions and personal behavioral changes that would enable us, in President Biden’s infamous words, to “shut down the virus.”​
Ever since the federal, state, and local governments started taking aggressive action against Covid in March 2020, Americans have been taunted by the promise that if we could just get over one hump, Covid madness would be over. In practice, once we got to the top of one hump, another one became visible in the horizon. And then another one. And another one. And another one.​
The initial “15 days to slow the spread” is now used only as a punchline. That’s because it ended up getting extended to six weeks, and then months, and for children who were shut out of schools in many parts of the country, over a year. While the slogan may now be treated as an artifact, the central conceit of “15 days to slow the spread” is still with us. That conceit is that if Americans only sacrifice normalcy for a certain period of time, Covid will be over.​

This COVID-Zero mentality that some have is just more political science applied to what should be biological sciences.

The pandemic phase of COVID is over.
Experts are considering it to moving from the pandemic phase to the endemic phase (warning, biological science content ahead)

You’ve probably heard it by now: Covid-19 is not going away. The broad consensus among experts is that it’s not realistic to think we’re going to totally eradicate this virus. We will, however, see it move out of the pandemic phase and into the endemic phase.​
That means the virus will keep circulating in parts of the global population for years, but its prevalence and impact will come down to relatively manageable levels, so it becomes more like the flu than a world-stopping disease.​

Also:

Excellent points all. Good Job. (y)

Loser #45 never cared about science/facts. He he only ever cared about getting re-elected. That’s why he flat out, willfully and knowingly, lied to Americans about the spread and lethality of Coronavirus from Day 1.

Lie of the Year: The Downplay and Denial of the Coronavirus​

“On Feb. 7, Trump leveled with book author Bob Woodward about the dangers of the new virus that was spreading across the world, originating in central China. He told the legendary reporter that the virus was airborne, tricky and “more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”

Trump told the public something else. On Feb. 26, the president appeared with his coronavirus task force in the crowded White House briefing room. A reporter asked if he was telling healthy Americans not to change their behavior.

“Wash your hands, stay clean. You don’t have to necessarily grab every handrail unless you have to,” he said, the room chuckling. “I mean, view this the same as the flu.”

Three weeks later, March 19, he acknowledged to Woodward: “To be honest with you, I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down. Because I don’t want to create a panic.”
I love when politicians create a panic. Make sure you continue to follow the science and your authoritarian leader. Joe knows. Wear that mask outside. In fact better wear three cloth masks.
Stay inside. I'm sure you can find a good Netflix series while you wither away in fear.

Blue states rolling back mask mandates despite continued mask recommendations.

Not to mention nothing has really changed, the daily death rate is higher now than three months ago.
Because the governments have no balls is that any reason to stop wearing masks? Hell no.

Can't get away from science it is everywhere...........

I don't know that too many will give up wearing masks .... I speculate that mandates will return.

Loser #45 never cared about science/facts. He he only ever cared about getting re-elected. That’s why he flat out, willfully and knowingly, lied to Americans about the spread and lethality of Coronavirus from Day 1.

Lie of the Year: The Downplay and Denial of the Coronavirus​

“On Feb. 7, Trump leveled with book author Bob Woodward about the dangers of the new virus that was spreading across the world, originating in central China. He told the legendary reporter that the virus was airborne, tricky and “more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”

Trump told the public something else. On Feb. 26, the president appeared with his coronavirus task force in the crowded White House briefing room. A reporter asked if he was telling healthy Americans not to change their behavior.

“Wash your hands, stay clean. You don’t have to necessarily grab every handrail unless you have to,” he said, the room chuckling. “I mean, view this the same as the flu.”

Three weeks later, March 19, he acknowledged to Woodward: “To be honest with you, I wanted to always play it down. I still like playing it down. Because I don’t want to create a panic.”
khn.org

Lie of the Year: The Downplay and Denial of the Coronavirus

It’s no worse than the flu, and other deadly disinformation about the coronavirus
khn.org

I love when politicians create a panic. Make sure you continue to follow the science and your authoritarian leader. Joe knows. Wear that mask outside. In fact better wear three cloth masks.
Stay inside. I'm sure you can find a good Netflix series while you wither away in fear.
Idiotic snark in response to painful facts.

Obviously, you have nothing at all to mitigate the facts of the terrible harm done to Americans by Loser #45’s demonstrated, many times, complete disregard for Americans lives, including those of his brain dead followers, all because of his pathologic aversion to ever acknowledging being wrong or accepting responsibility for his own actions, and insane constant need of affirmation, single-mindedly driving him to say/do anything just to get re-elected.

Because the governments have no balls is that any reason to stop wearing masks? Hell no.

Can't get away from science it is everywhere...........

I don't know that too many will give up wearing masks .... I speculate that mandates will return.
Very few wear masks around my area.

Before yesterday, there were only 5 places with mandates. Washington State, Washington D.C., Oregon, Illinois and New Mexico.

1. So wtf are you crying about?
  2. They are following the science that says vax rates are way up and transmission is on the decline and is expected to decline even faster as we head into warmer temps.
  3. What happened to having enough sense to post COVID threads in the COVID forum?
Soirry but ignoring cdc guidelines used to be "anti science rednecks" to the progressive crowd......until it came into fashion now to ignore them.

The daily death rate is overwhelmingly among the unvaxxed. Maybe people are getting tired of trying to save the lives of people who kill themselves to own the libs?

And...ps...they are following the science.

But leave it to Trumpists who relentlessly throw the dumbest CTs against the wall about the *real* reason every last COVID restriction was in place to try to use easing off restrictions as an attack.

Few things are more Trumpist than insisting we do the dumbest thing possible first, and when other people fix it, claim the fact that other people fixed it means you were right in the first place.
Yep. Right there. The bolded bit.

Science isn’t always black and white. There is always some level of uncertainty - not only is science but in everything. And further scientific isn’t and never was the only determinant.

The CDC is a slow and very cautious organization. It isn’t surprising they still recommend masks while others now think they have outlived their effectiveness.

The truth, despite your screen name, is almost never simple and is subject to change as the real world changes. With a fast moving pandemic the real world and what we know about it changes quickly.

The case fatality rate is not higher. Total deaths are because total cases are higher.
I am fully aware of this. Just pointing out how the left had zero room for this kind of talk of nuance when it came to conservatives going against the CDC.

Actually, I do. Because once they are dead, they no longer contribute to the overwhelming of the healthcare system. They don't take up ICU beds from people who are in need through no fault of their own. When they are dead they no longer can spread the disease. These are all good things.

Make your bad decisions. Die with the consequences of your bad decisions. Your choice, and your choice is not reasoned or reasonable. We have millions of data points over the past 2+ years. We know the vaccinations are safe and effective. We know the vaccines save lives. Now, go die if that is your choice. But if you want sympathy, at this point you'll find it in the dictionary somewhere after stupid and suicide.
Do you want all the Dems to die now as well since they are ignoring CDC guidance on masks ignoring the science? Somthey are causing deaths etc etc.

I agree with most of what you have been saying (as seen by the "likes" ;)), but I have always had a problem with the original "opinion" that paper masks worked to "prevent the spread."

In the first place, while serving in the Army I, like most service members, was trained in NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) safety because there is a high expectation of exposure in certain combat scenarios. One of my additional duties when I became an Officer was to handle NBC training for my unit. Paper masks do not "stop the spread" of anything smaller than the basic weave of the material, much less something that needs an Electron Microscope to be seen.

In a prior thread, I posted a video from back in August 2021 (which has since been removed from YouTube for "violating terms of service") presented by a physician showing how despite multiple layers (I think it was 3 or 4) of paper masks, then exhaling, one could still see the mist of water droplets from the breath going through.

We now know this was true, as currently admitted by "the Science" experts. Which shows two things.

1. YouTube and other Social Media should not be censoring content on the basis it does not follow the "official narrative," and

2. Paper masks don't work to stop the spread. (Any more than being vaccinated, as also admitted by "the Science.")

If one truly fears both getting and spreading such diseases, then per NBC training, one would need to wear something like this:

View attachment 67375751
I haven't seen that video so I can't comment on it. I would be interested in knowing if the mask reduced the amount of water that got into the air and how much it reduced the distance it traveled. Both of those would seem to be important. And maybe the video did determine that.

The only other data point I have on paper mask effectiveness is that doctors use them so I assume they have to do some good. Though on the other hand clearly they were wearing much more than masks in the early days of covid.

Otherwise I agree. Platforms shouldn't be deciding what we see - I've made the case in other threads that FB, Twitter et al are de facto part of the public square and predictably people who applauded the censorship, mostly for partisan political reasons, told me I was nuts.

I am fully aware of this. Just pointing out how the left had zero room for this kind of talk of nuance when it came to conservatives going against the CDC.
Yeah neither side is innocent of puking up utter stupidity with regard to the pandemic.

I haven't seen that video so I can't comment on it. I would be interested in knowing if the mask reduced the amount of water that got into the air and how much it reduced the distance it traveled. Both of those would seem to be important. And maybe the video did determine that.

The only other data point I have on paper mask effectiveness is that doctors use them so I assume they have to do some good. Though on the other hand clearly they were wearing much more than masks in the early days of covid.

Here is a response I just found via a search. It is from an MD, a surgeon no less, about that very thing:

"QUOTE" Although surgeons do wear masks to prevent their respiratory droplets from contaminating the surgical field and the exposed internal tissues of our surgical patients, that is about as far as the analogy extends. Obviously, surgeons cannot “socially distance” from their surgical patients (unless we use robotic surgical devices, in which case, I would definitely not wear a mask).

The CoVID-19 pandemic is about viral transmission. Surgical and cloth masks do nothing to prevent viral transmission. We should all realize by now that face masks have never been shown to prevent or protect against viral transmission. Which is exactly why they have never been recommended for use during the seasonal flu outbreak, epidemics, or previous pandemics."END QUOTE"

Otherwise I agree. Platforms shouldn't be deciding what we see - I've made the case in other threads that FB, Twitter et al are de facto part of the public square and predictably people who applauded the censorship, mostly for partisan political reasons, told me I was nuts.

Correct. It expresses a concern I have had and commented on many times in this Forum over the years. It is information control, as opposed to open access to all relevant information.

It is designed to control the information and lead people in directions these media agencies want us to go.

Follow the science. why do the left say follow the science, yet….yet. Claim their are 16 or more sexes? Are we following the science or not? Or only the lefts science.

Do you want all the Dems to die now as well since they are ignoring CDC guidance on masks ignoring the science? Somthey are causing deaths etc etc.
You mean all the vaccinated Dems? Nope. They've done what they can. The only people I want to die are those who are so selfish that they would refuse the vaccine, refuse the boosters, all in the name of ALMIGHTY FREEDOM! (translation: I don't give flying **** about my fellow Americans) and then when they get sick and clog up the hospitals, ERs, and ICUs, they demand that they be taken care of before anyone one else. The sooner those people die, the better.

You mean all the vaccinated Dems? Nope. They've done what they can. The only people I want to die are those who are so selfish that they would refuse the vaccine, refuse the boosters, all in the name of ALMIGHTY FREEDOM! (translation: I don't give flying **** about my fellow Americans) and then when they get sick and clog up the hospitals, ERs, and ICUs, they demand that they be taken care of before anyone one else. The sooner those people die, the better.

Your response is one long angry tirade (emotional appeal), coupled with scapegoating.

It ignores all the facts about who is at most risk, and who is at least or even at no risk of either death or disability from this disease.

It also avoids personal responsibility for the many pre-existing conditions in those most at-risk. The obese with multiple pre-existing breathing and other co-morbidities, and the elderly with multiple pre-existing breathing and other co-morbidities.

Looking at Obesity first. It is not a "glandular issue," it is an eating disorder that is within the power of the vast majority to self-control. They are subject to lot of ills caused by being over-weight as listed by the CDC:

Putting Covid-19 aside, the Obese already tie up a lot of hospital care due to the ills listed by the CDC. It is the fact that they have pre-existing breathing issues and multiple ills that ALSO make them particularly susceptible to ANY flu-like infection, much less Covid-19.

The other major risk group are the elderly, over 55 with increased age and a number of co-morbidities also increasing chances of a bad outcome to ANY Flu-like infection. Again, much less Covid-19.

These are citizens many of whose number also used to be smokers, or still are smoking cigarettes, cigars, etc. They are also subject to pre-existing issues with cancers, weakening heart and circulatory systems, and many other ills.

BOTH the Obese and the elderly with pre-existing medical issues already take up the bulk of healthcare time and facility usage.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of those under 55 or not Obese don't take up hospital beds if they test positive. Not unless they are among those who also have pre-existing medical conditions already diagnosed and being treated including a breathing issue. NO. Most are simply sent home for quarantine and given prescriptions for flu-medications to treat symptoms until like any annual flu their bodies defeat the disease.

Wishing anyone dead based on your viewpoint bias reflects more on YOUR morals, as opposed to anyone else's.

Last edited:
Your response is one long angry tirade (emotional appeal), coupled with scapegoating.

It ignores all the facts about who is at most risk, and who is at least or even at no risk of either death or disability from this disease.

It also avoids personal responsibility for the many pre-existing conditions in those most at-risk. The obese with multiple pre-existing breathing and other co-morbidities, and the elderly with multiple pre-existing breathing and other co-morbidities.

Looking at Obesity first. It is not a "glandular issue," it is an eating disorder that is within the power of the vast majority to self-control. They are subject to lot of ills caused by being over-weight as listed by the CDC:

Putting Covid-19 aside, the Obese already tie up a lot of hospital care due to the ills listed by the CDC. It is the fact that they have pre-existing breathing issues and multiple ills that ALSO make them particularly susceptible to ANY flu-like infection, much less Covid-19.

The other major risk group are the elderly, over 55 with increased age and a number of co-morbidities also increasing chances of a bad outcome to ANY Flu-like infection. Again, much less Covid-19.

These are citizens many of whose number also used to be smokers, or still are smoking cigarettes, cigars, etc. They are also subject to pre-existing issues with cancers, weakening heart and circulatory systems, and many other ills.

BOTH the Obese and the elderly with pre-existing medical issues already take up the bulk of healthcare time and facility usage.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of those under 55 don't take up hospital beds if they test positive. Not unless they are among those who also have pre-existing medical conditions already diagnosed and being treated including a breathing issue. NO. Most are simply sent home for quarantine and given prescriptions for flu-medications to treat symptoms until like any annual flu their bodies defeat the disease.

Wishing anyone dead based on your viewpoint bias reflects more on YOUR morals, as opposed to anyone else's.
Tell that to the ICU nurses who treat these people. I happen to know a few and they are over it. An unvaccinated comes in, intubated with covid, they are "OK, we'll take care of them until they are dead. Hopefully it won't be too long, because this is their existence until they die. They don't get better."

Tell that to the ICU nurses who treat these people. I happen to know a few and they are over it. An unvaccinated comes in, intubated with covid, they are "OK, we'll take care of them until they are dead. Hopefully it won't be too long, because this is their existence until they die. They don't get better."

Your personal knowledge of secondhand reports is NOT an argument.

Meanwhile, if you really know ICU Nurses who make those kinds of comments about patients in their care? Then IMO they need to find a different calling, because they should NOT be anywhere near a patient.

Meanwhile, if you really know ICU Nurses who make those kinds of comments about patients in their care? Then IMO they need to find a different calling, because they should NOT be anywhere near a patient.
Why? They still do their job. And they see the patients die. They are simply expressing their frustration that these patients could have avoided death and there is nothing they can do but accept the reality.

But they are not doing all they can, in fact they are ignoring science that says do more.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of those under 55 or not Obese don't take up hospital beds if they test positive. Not unless they are among those who also have pre-existing medical conditions already diagnosed and being treated including a breathing issue. NO. Most are simply sent home for quarantine and given prescriptions for flu-medications to treat symptoms until like any annual flu their bodies defeat the disease.

This^

Why? They still do their job. And they see the patients die. They are simply expressing their frustration that these patients could have avoided death and there is nothing they can do but accept the reality.
Do they feel the same way about fat Patients with diabetes and heart disease dying?

Idiotic snark in response to painful facts.

Obviously, you have nothing at all to mitigate the facts of the terrible harm done to Americans by Loser #45’s demonstrated, many times, complete disregard for Americans lives, including those of his brain dead followers, all because of his pathologic aversion to ever acknowledging being wrong or accepting responsibility for his own actions, and insane constant need of affirmation, single-mindedly driving him to say/do anything just to get re-elected.
Painful facts. LOL
Fact is there were more deaths with Biden living in fear.
Fact is lockdowns didn't work. Cloth masks don't work.
Let's continue with the suggestions that don't work.

Ah but you are forgetting those poor souls who can't get vaccinated form health reasons that is brought up against anti vaxxers. Why are you willing to murder those people just because the unvaccinated bother you?

This is really pathetic. It's basically saying you hate the unvaxxed so much you are going to act like them.
The cruelty is the point.

Back
Top Bottom