• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened to Christians?

ThoughtEx.

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Matthew 5
1: And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
2: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4: Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5: Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7: Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8: Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10:
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11: Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12: Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you

https://www.beliefnet.com/resourcel...he_Life__Morals_of_Jesus_of_N azareth_2.html

Looks like Trump supporters are doing a good deed and getting all kinds of refugees into heaven.

What I like about the Jefferson Bible, it cuts out all the bull****. Here's what Jesus said and did, everything else is pointless.

Especially, for those that consider the man god.

I've always been fascinated by how much Jesus' teachings resemble Buddhism. So much so that they consider him a Bodhisattva.

I also wonder quite often, how those that follow him, and invoke his name, have gotten so far away from his teachings. A Christian nation should be a nation of pacifists. Not the most warlike nation in human history.

A Christian people should be a beloved people, not a despised people.

It's time for some soul searching.

https://www.beliefnet.com/resourcel...he_Life__Morals_of_Jesus_of_N azareth_2.html

Looks like Trump supporters are doing a good deed and getting all kinds of refugees into heaven.

What I like about the Jefferson Bible, it cuts out all the bull****. Here's what Jesus said and did, everything else is pointless.

I've always been fascinated by how much Jesus' teachings resemble Buddhism. So much so that they consider him a Bodhisattva.

I also wonder quite often, how those that follow him, and invoke his name, have gotten so far away from his teachings. A Christian nation should be a nation of pacifists. Not the most warlike nation in human history.

As with every other visible demographic these days, the assholes get the most press, and generalizing based on them is a sure way to not get the whole picture. All our "groups" are made up of some ratio of angels : assholes.

Your rebuke is well founded, just make sure you're aiming it at the right folks. Any time you get human being involved, there's bound to be a mess somewhere, and these are particularly messy times. There are Christians out there who have not forgotten (or worse, weaponized) Christ's message of love....you can usually pick them out, they're the ones that the Holy Rollers are pointing at as heretics or "fake Christians"...because we call them out, if quietly, on their nonsense.

hehe...a progressive Christian has few friends indeed... ;)

There is nothing new in Christianity.

Let's face it, Christians have never followed Jesus's teachings since he advocated not being rich, giving everything to the poor, etc.

The single greatest work, IMHO, that compares the two, in this case their respective mysticisms, ever written.

It's a bit advanced placements for those on the Christian side, since the primary reference is the work of Meister Eckhardt, who most Christans don't even know about, let alone have ever read him (or understood him).

This is an incredible read.

https://archive.org/details/mysticismchristi00insuzu

Let's face it, Christians have never followed Jesus's teachings since he advocated not being rich, giving everything to the poor, etc.

Turning the other cheek, being the good Samaritan, loving thy neighbor, worshiping Christ, rather than the bible, as the living and acting Word, refraining from condemning others, blessing those who curse them, etc....

Turning the other cheek, being the good Samaritan, loving thy neighbor, worshiping Christ, rather than the bible, as the living and acting Word, refraining from condemning others, blessing those who curse them, etc....

We never get any of those sort of Christians here.

You should study the Bible, if you're that interested.

You say a Christian nation would be a nation of pacifist? Hah!

Matthew 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—

a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Read a little bit farther down:

40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward.

42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

Last edited:

Matthew 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward.

42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

Oh, my word...it is you who does not understand the Bible...SMH...

Oh, my word...it is you who does not understand the Bible...SMH...

Lol.....you didn't understand my post! :mrgreen:

Never mind the posturing - explain why you said that.

How is that for a pacifist????
Do you know the definition of a pacifist???

If you do know......give your rebuttal to that.
If you don't.....you look it up.

Let me guess again: you won't.
You'll be making a big song and dance why you don't wanna explain. :lol:

Last edited:
Never mind the posturing - explain why you said that. How is that for a pacifist????
Do you know the definition of a pacifist???
If you do know......give your rebuttal to that.

If you don't.....you look it up.

Let me guess again: you won't.
You'll be making a big song and dance why you don't wanna explain. :lol:

Well, for most people, it is self-explanatory but since you don't get it...divisions are caused by the position taken by unbelieving family members since they may choose to reject or oppose Christianity, bringing about rifts in the family.​..Jesus never meant in any sense of the word he came to cause fighting of any sort among his followers...

That fact is further supported by Peter's words at 1 Peter 3:1,2 regarding a spouse possibly being able to win their mate over to Christ without a word...

"1 In the same way, you wives, be in subjection to your husbands, so that if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of their wives,

2 because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together with deep respect."

Last edited:

Jesus is certainly not a pacifist. A pacifist is someone who's opposed to violence.

Aside from Matthew 10, there are numerous other indications that Jesus/God isn't a pacifist:

John The Baptist, who was preparing the way for Jesus was asked by soldiers:

Luke 3

14 Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?”

He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.”

Wouldn't that be the perfect time to tell them to quit being soldiers?

The disciples of Jesus carry weapons! That would've been a conflict if Jesus were a pacifist, right?
But it was Jesus who instructed them to buy weapons!

Luke 22

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

When Jesus was being arrested, Peter drew his sword and struck a man.

John 18

10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”

***Take note that Jesus told Peter to put away the sword, not because He is opposed to violence, but because He has to fulfill what He came to do.

We are never commanded to be pacifists, in the usual sense of the word. Rather, we are to hate what is evil and cling to what is good (Romans 12:9). In doing so we must take a stand against evil in this world (which requires conflict) and pursue righteousness (2 Timothy 2:22). Jesus modeled this pursuit and never shrank from conflict when it was part of the Father’s sovereign plan. Jesus spoke openly against the religious and political rulers of His time because they were not seeking the righteousness of God (Luke 13:31–32; 19:45–47).

When it comes to defeating evil, God is not a pacifist.
The Old Testament is full of examples of how God used His people in war to bring judgment upon nations whose sin had reached its full measure. A few examples are found in Genesis 15:16; Numbers 21:3; 31:1–7; 32:20–21; Deuteronomy 7:1–2; Joshua 6:20–21; 8:1–8; 10:29–32; 11:7–20.
Before the battle of Jericho, Joshua was met by “the commander of the army of the Lord” (Joshua 5:14). This personage, who was most likely the pre-incarnate Christ, was distinguished by holding a “drawn sword in his hand” (verse 13). The Lord was ready to fight.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-pacifist.html

Even in the Second Coming - it's about war!

Revelation 19:15, speaking of Jesus, declares, “Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. ‘He will rule them with an iron scepter.’ He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.”

The setting up of Jesus’ millennial kingdom will necessitate violence in the form of a war waged against the forces of the Antichrist. Jesus’ robe will be “dipped in blood” (Revelation 19:13).
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-pacifist.html

Last edited:

Who sez? Not Jesus. uh-uh.

On the contrary - Christians will be despised because of Jesus Christ! The world will hate Christians!

John 15

The World Hates the Disciples

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.
As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
That is why the world hates you.

Lol. I'd seriously worry...... if atheists on this forum are giving me likes! :lol:

Atheists agree with me? They're liking what I say?
Man, that's when I'll be doing some real - heavy soul searching! :mrgreen:

More like, it's time for.......... Bible Study! :)

Last edited:
Jehovah and His son, Jesus Christ hate violence/violent people...

"Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one;
He hates anyone who loves violence." Psalm 11:5

"Do not envy the violent man
Nor choose any of his ways
," Proverbs 3:31

"Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things." Philippians 4:8

Well, for most people, it is self-explanatory but since you don't get it...divisions are caused by the position taken by unbelieving family members since they may choose to reject or oppose Christianity, bringing about rifts in the family.​..Jesus never meant in any sense of the word he came to cause fighting of any sort among his followers...

That fact is further supported by Peter's words at 1 Peter 3:1,2 regarding a spouse possibly being able to win their mate over to Christ without a word...

"1 In the same way, you wives, be in subjection to your husbands, so that if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of their wives,

2 because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together with deep respect."
:roll:

I know it's meant as in opposed views among family members - but still, that doesn't mean Jesus brings peace, does it? There's strife in the family. Some members even get booted out, and disowned!

For some reason, I kinda imagine or assume the author of this thread also refers to appeasement!
That in order to have "peace"....you've got to appease! You've got to go along with how the world dictates you should be, as a Christian! Thus his mention of refugees! And, Trump!

Jehovah and His son, Jesus Christ hate violence/violent people...

"Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one;
He hates anyone who loves violence." Psalm 11:5

"Do not envy the violent man
Nor choose any of his ways
," Proverbs 3:31

"Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things." Philippians 4:8

Loving violence,

is not the same as,

not opposed to violence.

Being predisposed to violence (violent man)

is not the same as

not opposed to violence.

Last edited:

Anyone who claims to be Christian and claim to have the love of God in their hearts and yet hate authorities, Jews and Christians are lying.

Matthew 10

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35 For I have come to turn

40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward.

Nice Cherry picking, but how do these fit into context with Jesus' message as a whole. Jesus taught, his disciples were constantly making mistakes which lead to him teaching them a better way. He never said, attack this person, or defend me, or rebel in my name. He submitted and questioned the authority of those that were torturing him. He didn't even insult them. He asked for forgiveness for them.

Judging his direct messages by how he counsels the disciples against their own emotions is neglecting how forgiving he is, how forgiving of human nature. The nature to do violence that resides in all of us. Rather than give them a commandment to violate, he limited them to two swords and never let them use it. Even in defense of himself.

Matthew 13
18: Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
19: When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
20: But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21: Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22: He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23: But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Basically, if you twist what his message is and look for ways to obfuscate his obvious meanings, karma's goin to get ya.

Nice Cherry picking, but how do these fit into context with Jesus' message as a whole. Jesus taught, his disciples were constantly making mistakes which lead to him teaching them a better way. He never said, attack this person, or defend me, or rebel in my name. He submitted and questioned the authority of those that were torturing him. He didn't even insult them. He asked for forgiveness for them.

Judging his direct messages by how he counsels the disciples against their own emotions is neglecting how forgiving he is, how forgiving of human nature. The nature to do violence that resides in all of us. Rather than give them a commandment to violate, he limited them to two swords and never let them use it. Even in defense of himself.

Basically, if you twist what his message is and look for ways to obfuscate his obvious meanings, karma's goin to get ya.

Yeah, you better watch out for that.

You're the one cherry-picking! :lol: You've given the Beatitudes - and sorta trying to take them out of context. Yeah....read them again:

He said:

Matthew 5
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

What do they all start with??? BLESSED!

The Beaitudes are declarations of blessedness! It refers to SPIRITUAL well-being and SPIRITUAL propserity!

Where does it say that Jesus is a pacifist?

The Scriptures speak for itself.

All the verses I'd given support one another, in showing that Jesus can't be a pacifist, or someone who's opposed to violence.

Karma is a theological concept found in the Buddhist and Hindu religions. It is the idea that how you live your life will determine the quality of life you will have after reincarnation.
https://www.gotquestions.org/karma.html

PS

I don't believe in the Hindu or Buddhist concept of karma.
I don't make a cocktail out of religions.

Last edited:
How can we even imagine Jesus Christ is a pacifist?
So many verses to bust that wishful thinking by proggresives and liberal bleedin' hearts.

The Old Testament is filled with wars. Bloody, violent wars - either to punish or to reward......or,
believe it or not, to achieve long-lasting peace for Israel.
Anyone who'd read the Old Testament will see the violence in it. Here are but a few examples.....

Deuteronomy 20
Going to War

When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you.

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it.

16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.

Joshua 6
Now the gates of Jericho were securely barred because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in.

2 Then the Lord said to Joshua, “See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men.

16 The seventh time around, when the priests sounded the trumpet blast, Joshua commanded the army, “Shout! For the Lord has given you the city! 17 The city and all that is in it are to be devoted to the Lord. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall be spared, because she hid the spies we sent.

Logically......

Does that indicate in any way that God - or Jesus - is opposed to violence?

From our twenty-first century point of view, we ask, “What good was accomplished by all this annihilation?”

Yet there is clearly another side to Yahweh as well.
While the prophet Ezekiel does not spare the wicked in his denunciations, he also records Yahweh’s words of grace: “If a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die” Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?” (Ezekiel 18:21, 23). And he goes on in verse 32, “For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!” And there is this compelling verse recorded in 2 Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.”

We must see these terrible retributions in their historical setting.
The spread of wickedness was so pervasive that immorality, degradation, and barbarity invaded every facet of life. Children were sacrificed to pagan gods. Male and female prostitution took place right in the temple as part of the religious rites. Idol worship was rife and the society wholly contaminated.

This evil was contagious and God’s people were in danger of being infected as well. God’s awesome judgement was finally unleashed.

https://www.biblica.com/resources/bible-faqs/why-so-much-war-in-the-old-testament/

Last edited:

I'm Catholic.There are a lot of bad apples in the RCC and other denominations,but a lot of great ones too. I don't think you should judge an entire religion on the behaviors of just a few.

continuation.....

The entire Bible from beginning to end never deviates from this standard of justice as well as grace.
Jesus is crystal clear about the punishment of evildoers, for on the day of judgement God will say to the evildoers, “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels” (Matthew 25:41).

Our society does not much care to hear about pain and punishment, and prefers the meek and mild Jesus of some contemporary writers.

But the God of the New Testament is the changeless God of the ages.

But that is not the end of the story, nor even the overriding theme of the Bible. For as humanity spirals deeper into self-gratification, God intervenes. Indeed, the Old Testament is a record of God’s intervening in the human situation with a new promise of hope.

The New Testament is the record of grace applied to people lost in sin and rebellion. There was no compulsion placed on God to undertake this rescue operation. But the plan was and is indescribably marvelous. God did not forget about guilt and justice.
Rather, Jesus Christ, the God-man, took on himself the punishment and so satisfied the grisly sentence.
This is what Christians call grace.
The Bible is mainly a record of grace, set against a backdrop of horror and misery.
https://www.biblica.com/resources/bible-faqs/why-so-much-war-in-the-old-testament/

Last edited:

I think your post lacks context. The cherem was basically a Canaanite feature of ancient Israelite folk religion, a holy war wherein the people conquered were killed in the name of the victorious deity. The Moabites practiced the cherem in Kemosh's name; the Israelites in Yahweh's name. Read the Mesha Stele and compare to Joshua 6 or 1Samuel15. Very similar in many respects. In fact the Mesha Stele uses the same word "cherem" when "dedicating" the people of Nebo to Kemosh as ancient Moabite and Hebrew were nearly identical languages.

I don't think God actually approves of such brutality.It's a human feature of those religions.

I think your post lacks context. The cherem was basically a Canaanite feature of ancient Israelite folk religion, a holy war wherein the people conquered were killed in the name of the victorious deity. The Moabites practiced the cherem in Kemosh's name; the Israelites in Yahweh's name. Read the Mesha Stele and compare to Joshua 6 or 1Samuel15. Very similar in many respects. In fact the Mesha Stele uses the same word "cherem" when "dedicating" the people of Nebo to Kemosh as ancient Moabite and Hebrew were nearly identical languages.

So what if other peoples practiced a holy war in the name of their gods?
Does that automatically negates what's written? NO.

How many times did God mock the gods that other peoples prayed to? And, the people who prayed to these idols? Look how God had made Pharaoh's gods look so pathetic with the plagues!

I'm giving examples on the belief that the Scriptures is God-inspired - what's written!

Anyway, Joshua isn't the only example why I can say with confidence that God/Jesus is not opposed to violence. You should scroll back a bit and read my other posts.

Btw, not opposed to violence isn't the same as saying God LOVES violence, or is, predisposed to violence.

I don't think God actually approves of such brutality.It's a human feature of those religions.

God was quoted in some of those verses. Are you saying those prophets lied?

You're saying the Bible is not credible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom