• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What future amendments do you want?

Where are women's rights enumerated? In one spot only, the 19th Amendment. If equal rights are protected, why can you be fired for being homosexual in some states?

The right to have an abortion is very clear in the 14th Amendment: "All persons BORN . . ." obviously prevents unborn human beings from having any legal rights.

Homosexuality is not the problem. Republican stupidity is. The justice system has struck down laws that prevent gay and lesbian couples from getting married. Terminating someone because of sexual orientation is illegal.

The right to have an abortion is very clear in the 14th Amendment: "All persons BORN . . ." obviously prevents unborn human beings from having any legal rights.

Homosexuality is not the problem. Republican stupidity is. The justice system has struck down laws that prevent gay and lesbian couples from getting married. Terminating someone because of sexual orientation is illegal.
Unfortunately, that's not completely true. " Under U.S. law, religious organizations are basically exempt from protections baked into the Civil Rights Act."

Unfortunately, that's not completely true. " Under U.S. law, religious organizations are basically exempt from protections baked into the Civil Rights Act."

That does not explain homosexuals getting fired by for-profit businesses.

Amendment: No level of US government has the right to purposely kill any person.

* Cases of self-defense will be decided by the judicial system.

The preface of this thread although well meaning is fraught with problems, it is a wish list but in order to pass you need 3/4 of the states to agree, my money would bet that the electoral college ban would never pass and also term limits. one poster asked for a constitutional convention and I agree we seriously need a major rewrite or a new one. I believe the foundations of our constitution,tried to enshrine slavery and treated women as second class citizens,etc. That's why I call this country a Patriarchal Racist Republic. The divide in this country is getting bigger and compromise in congress is almost non-existent. If I was rewriting I'd get rid of states and have terrortories, I could go on but it would be way too long. I would however if such a group were assembled I'd make sure only the best and brightest, from all ethnanticity and viewpoints were included. hopefully something much better could be produced, recognizing the times we live in and provide corrective procedures for future development but most of all make it truly Democratic, which in my opinion it is not today.

Not that I have a say, being Cdn and all, but it is time to do away with vice laws.
seriously!
people will do drugs, make em legal and under strict control, but legal anyways. there will still be illegal dealer but far fewer than now. also any revenue (via taxes) from legal drug sales can be used to open more rehab centers - win win.
prostitution is the oldest profession for a reason, will never be gotten rid of, legalize it, regulate it, require health care inspections, treat prostitutes like employees - paying income tax but also eligible for govt services when needed.
I know prostitution is demeaning to women, but some will prostitute anyways, so why not make it safer for them and their johns?
vice laws just fill jails, cost the taxpayers big bucks, and don't stop the vice.
Vice laws greatly reduce the Vice however.

Amendment: No level of US government has the right to purposely kill any person.

* Cases of self-defense will be decided by the judicial system.
But the would forbid the perfect justice of the death penalty, therefore it should be rejected.

The amount of people that want to ban assisted suicide amazes me. Let people make their own decisions for gods sake.

They can't, because they think a person who makes the choice to kill himself is not mentally sound. If he were, he wouldn't choose to kill himself.

The preface of this thread although well meaning is fraught with problems. it is a wish list but in order to pass you need 3/4 of the states to agree.

Where did you see in the OP I expect 3/4 of the states to support term limits for Congress? I know it is wishful thinking on my part.

As for the Electoral College, Donald Trump's 2016 victory was exactly what the EC was created to prevent. The full-blown exposure of its flaws almost five years ago proved it is a terrible part of our Constitution.

I'd like to see an amendment to repeal the 16th amendment.

They can't, because they think a person who makes the choice to kill himself is not mentally sound. If he were, he wouldn't choose to kill himself.

Lol. And of course neither is any of their business.

Where did you see in the OP I expect 3/4 of the states to support term limits for Congress? I know it is wishful thinking on my part.

As for the Electoral College, Donald Trump's 2016 victory was exactly what the EC was created to prevent. The full-blown exposure of its flaws almost five years ago proved it is a terrible part of our Constitution.
I know it was wishful thinking but I just wanted to voice my opinions and realize that my wishful thinking will never happen in my life time. As far as the electoral college is concerned it is undemocratic but you know that and without the EC trump never would have been president.

Let's have fun here. For the purpose of this topic, assume there will definitely be a 28th amendment within your lifetime. Maybe two more amendments. What changes or additions do you want?

My picks: Abolish the Electoral College and set term limits for both chambers in Congress (two like the President).

I'd also add term limits to the Supreme Court.
For the electoral college, I'd require that states give out their electors as a percent of the state won.
I'd add an amendment banning gerrymandering.
Another amendment requiring 60 senate votes for any bill that increases the deficit or raises taxes.

For the electoral college, I'd require that states give out their electors as a percent of the state won.
Another amendment requiring 60 senate votes for any bill that increases the deficit or raises taxes.

I like the term limits for the Supreme Court, and banning gerrymandering.

I know it was wishful thinking but I just wanted to voice my opinions and realize that my wishful thinking will never happen in my life time. As far as the electoral college is concerned it is undemocratic but you know that and without the EC Trump never would have been president.

And we all know he never should have run for President.

How many years and terms should the limit be?

Please explain.

I hate gerrymandering too and also was thinking about it, The founders wanted to keep parties out of politics.

Maybe we need is a law to standardize Senate rules so they can't be changed every time it turns blue or red.

Unfortunately there were enough idiots who didn't know and he ran and won. Such a catastrophe.

Yes, over 63 million idiots. The irony is he benefited from the same system that was created to prevent people like him from running for office.

Yes, over 63 million idiots. The irony is he benefited from the same system that was created to prevent people like him from running for office.
Show me how the system was created to stop people like him from running because I can't.

I'm not sure what I'd add.
Every time I think of something I can see why it may be ok as a local law but not as an amendment for a country as large as the US.

Maybe a ban on smoking but again is that amendment worthy?

It's a really tough question because amendments are so fundamental in US politics every one has to be rock solid and sensible.

Show me how the system was created to stop people like him from running because I can't.
I was talking about why, not how, we have the Electoral College system.
The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called “factions,” which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed “the tyranny of the majority” – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could “sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens.” Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: “A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking.”

Back
Top Bottom