• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What excactly is a "moderate?

mrdeltoid

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I see there are posters here that have lean "moderate" on their profile. To me, although I lean both left and right, depending on the issue, I feel strongly about them. I'm curious as to what people mean when asked about political beliefs, they say "moderate. For me, I consider myself conservative with libertarian leanings.:peace

I see there are posters here that have lean "moderate" on their profile. To me, although I lean both left and right, depending on the issue, I feel strongly about them. I'm curious as to what people mean when asked about political beliefs, they say "moderate. For me, I consider myself conservative with libertarian leanings.:peace

I suspect there's no good answer to the question you've posed, OP-er, but I'm certain that sooner or later you'll find input that satisfies you.

I suspect few Americans would describe themselves as extremists, which is, insofar as there appears to be no objective definition of what a moderate is, necessarily what one must be if one isn't a moderate.

I'm middle of the road here in Canada, vote Conservative or, in the old days Social Credit sometimes, vote Liberal and even NDP, depending on the election, the issues, and the record of the candidates.

In the States I would definitely be far left, it's really amazing how far to the right the American political spectrum has shifted. And not for the better imo, or anyone else's if the conservatives on this forum are to be believed..

I'm middle of the road here in Canada, vote Conservative or, in the old days Social Credit sometimes, vote Liberal and even NDP, depending on the election, the issues, and the record of the candidates.

In the States I would definitely be far left, it's really amazing how far to the right the American political spectrum has shifted. And not for the better imo, or anyone else's if the conservatives on this forum are to be believed..

Which right wing issues do you see as "not good for America".

...few Americans would describe themselves as extremists, which is, insofar as there appears to be no objective definition of what a moderate is, necessarily what one must be if one isn't a moderate.

Everyone has their own standards. Given how Numnuts campaigned and is governing I believe his cult members are extremists. The +/-20% of Repubs who know what Trump is, the ones who're still willing to compromise, the ones who don't want to see our allies trashed while he sucks up to Putin, the Repubs the extremists call Rinos, are what's left of the moderate Repubs.

I'd like to debate and exchange ideas with these folks, what's the point in posting insult after insult with someone who believes our Free press, FBI and our CIA are enemies of the 'people'.

I wish Debate Politics would create a forum for people who's views are based more on reality...

To me a moderate is someone who is in-between the far right agenda of the Republicans and the far left agenda of the Democrats. Some would call it being in the center, perhaps center left or center right. Other would call it being middle America. I'm sure a moderate or a centrist has issues that are mighty important to them. That they like the far right and far left take a hard stance on those issues of importance.

Sort of like our current shutdown over the wall. Trump wants 5 billion, the Democrats state not one red cent. Each side wants all or nothing. I think a moderate would be willing to compromise on the issue. Perhaps 2.5 billion to avoid the shutdown. It would have to be right down the middle like that, maybe 2 billion, maybe 3.

I think a moderate wants both major parties to work together for the good of America. Not each party dead set on working only for what is good for their political party. On issues where they can't agree, go to the game of give and take, compromise to where each side gets something and the country continues to move forward. Not one side gets all and the other nothing.

The problem in today's political atmosphere in Washington each major party thinks compromise is the other party caving into everything they want.

Moderation means leaning without falling into some extreme position. We have all seen people following the party line whether it makes sense or not.
Sort of like fundamentalists, where the church becomes their God.

Everyone has their own standards. Given how Numnuts campaigned and is governing I believe his cult members are extremists. The +/-20% of Repubs who know what Trump is, the ones who're still willing to compromise, the ones who don't want to see our allies trashed while he sucks up to Putin, the Repubs the extremists call Rinos, are what's left of the moderate Repubs.

I'd like to debate and exchange ideas with these folks, what's the point in posting insult after insult with someone who believes our Free press, FBI and our CIA are enemies of the 'people'.

I wish Debate Politics would create a forum for people who's views are based more on reality...
Based on this post you wouldn't fit in that forum at all. :cool:

A "Moderate" has come to mean an individual who has not drifted into the extremes our political system expects of them. Basically someone who does not fall pray to the anger and ignorance found in both major parties. It can even be exchanged with the independent label in many circumstances. I am now considered a "Moderate' or even a Liberal by the new conservative or "Trumpist" even though my positions have not changed.....so I simply embraced it and left the party to register Independent.

I agree with that. I think debate between people of differing ideas is good. And it IS a problem that both sides base won't budge. I support the wall. I'm guessing you don't support the wall. I believe you and I can have an honest debate. So I'll start by asking why specifically are you against the wall?

It has lost much of its meaning in the rabid 'with us or against us' dichotomy of recent political discourse.

Moderate means someone slightly left or right of center. They can step to the left or right (or middle) depending on their own feelings or understandings of a given issue.

I'll give my own upbringing as a reasonable example: fiscal responsibility, free (and honest) press, social freedoms, rights for women and minorities, military strength, diplomacy, respect for tradition, lack of discrimination or racism, human rights, social safety nets, free markets, more equitable distribution of wealth, environmental protection, worker protections, personal responsibility, education and hard work, reasonable taxation.

Now there's stuff there for those on the left, stuff there for those on the right. Lots of wriggle room in between.

Now when those on the extremes try to define the center (or are so far from it they can no longer see it) they may feel that it is closer to their opinions than it really is, so someone on the other side might seem further away than they really are. That is unfortunately the bias of the extreme right or left speaking, not reality.

The problem arises with identity politics: when one embraces wholly the entire platform of the one 'side' or another and finds comfort in that and in making an enemy of 'the other'. It such a climate the wriggle room of the moderate becomes chinks in the armour, points to needle attack on the grounds 'they're not one of us'. We end up getting it from both sides. 20 or 30 years ago it was a more comfortable place to be in.

A "Moderate" has come to mean an individual who has not drifted into the extremes our political system expects of them. Basically someone who does not fall pray to the anger and ignorance found in both major parties. It can even be exchanged with the independent label in many circumstances. I am now considered a "Moderate' or even a Liberal by the new conservative or "Trumpist" even though my positions have not changed.....so I simply embraced it and left the party to register Independent.

I look at politics as right or left, because one can be a conservative Democrat. I don't use the words democrat/liberal interchangeably because the dems of today aren't liberal IMO.

I agree with that. I think debate between people of differing ideas is good. And it IS a problem that both sides base won't budge. I support the wall. I'm guessing you don't support the wall. I believe you and I can have an honest debate. So I'll start by asking why specifically are you against the wall?

Good guess. It's not money well spent. As long as there're ladders, tunnels and smugglers some will always get thru. But to reduce the number a more practical approach would include beefing up and enforcing the penalties for hiring them. Spend public funds on more high tech equipment, agents, vehicles, helicopters and patrols.

A wall is a simple answer to a complex problem and complexity is something Trump is not equipped understand, much less able to offer real solutions. 'Build The Wall!' is much more useful as a chant to raise the fever of his rally crowds than stopping illegal immigrants. I suppose his new one won't quite be as effective, "Build That Slot Fence!"

"...Two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the Trump administration's practice of taking undocumented immigrant children from their families and putting them in government facilities on US borders, according to a CNN poll conducted by SSRS. Only 28% approve.

But among Republicans, there is majority support for the policy that has resulted in an uptick of children being separated from their families..."

Separating children from their refuge parents as a punishment for attempting to cross the border may be acceptable to the 80% of Repub extremists, but most American's know it's a disgusting policy and not a reflection of American values.

I appreciate your offer for a civilized discussion, but I've beat this subject to death, so you're welcome to have the last word...

Good guess. It's not money well spent. As long as there're ladders, tunnels and smugglers some will always get thru. But to reduce the number a more practical approach would include beefing up and enforcing the penalties for hiring them. Spend public funds on more high tech equipment, agents, vehicles, helicopters and patrols.

A wall is a simple answer to a complex problem and complexity is something Trump is not equipped understand, much less able to offer real solutions. 'Build The Wall!' is much more useful as a chant to raise the fever of his rally crowds than stopping illegal immigrants. I suppose his new one won't quite be as effective, "Build That Slot Fence!"

"...Two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the Trump administration's practice of taking undocumented immigrant children from their families and putting them in government facilities on US borders, according to a CNN poll conducted by SSRS. Only 28% approve.

But among Republicans, there is majority support for the policy that has resulted in an uptick of children being separated from their families..."

Separating children from their refuge parents as a punishment for attempting to cross the border may be acceptable to the 80% of Repub extremists, but most American's know it's a disgusting policy and not a reflection of American values.

I appreciate your offer for a civilized discussion, but I've beat this subject to death, so you're welcome to have the last word...

Let's take the word "wall" out of the discussion. Would you agree that a "barrier" in areas that present problems where a bunch of illegals storm which is to wide to defend all at once, in addition to beefed up manpower, towers, cameras and drones on the border may be effective? As well as raiding places where employers knowingly use illegals for cheap labor as you suggested. If people know their chances of getting through the border without getting caught is nil, and even if some make it, they will have no job opportunities due to the crackdown, they would be less likely to try it in the first place. What do you think?

To me, a moderate is someone who would tell a bible thumping conservative and a fruitcake California liberal to both go to hell.

Fiscally conservative, neutral or indifferent on most social issues and mostly concerned with how policies would affect themselves, their families and their pocketbooks.

Well, I see someone who calls themselves a moderate as someone who has no convictions. I generally lean right. varying issues have me from maybe center left to... maybe 80% right. Really hard to explain, and I am confused myself at time.

Somebody without the courage of their convictions....

Anyone to the left of me is a liberal .....lol

Personally I have more respect for Bernie, and that Cortez fruitcake than Flake, Corker and the mailman's son from Ohio.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Somebody without the courage of their convictions....

Anyone to the left of me is a liberal .....lol

Personally I have more respect for Bernie, and that Cortez fruitcake than Flake, Corker and the mailman's son from Ohio.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Couldn't have said it better.:cool:

Left or right of Center. If you have elements of both then you should call yourself an independent or centrist but I suppose it's acceptable to call yourself a moderate as some do

To me, a moderate is someone who would tell a bible thumping conservative and a fruitcake California liberal to both go to hell.

Fiscally conservative, neutral or indifferent on most social issues and mostly concerned with how policies would affect themselves, their families and their pocketbooks.

I describe myself as conservative with libertarian leanings. I believe government is bad at most things, and should stick to national security. When it comes to health insurance, marriage, abortion, they should but out.

Back
Top Bottom