• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Every Country Can Learn From Ecuador

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Not all Guinness records are completely pointless. I hope other countries start trying to break it.

What Every Country Can Learn From Ecuador | ThinkProgress

On Saturday, in often sweltering heat, more than 44,000 people in Ecuador reportedly sowed their way into the Guinness Book of World Records by planting 647,250 trees of over 200 species in one day. The effort was organized by the Ecuadoran government under an initiative called “Siembratón.” Ecuador’s record was set based on the number of species of trees planted. “There is no record in history of similar events involving over 150 species,” a Guinness Records adjudicator told AFP.

Volunteers reportedly sowed an estimated 216 species of trees across some 2,000 hectares of land in 150 locations ranging from the Pacific coastal region to the Amazonian basin to the high Andean mountains. The diverse climatic terrain likely helped in the small country plant so many different species. Trees included alder, wild cherry, willow, cedar, rosemary, lignum vitae, myrtle, podocarpus, carob, cholan, laurel silk guarando, eugenia, mahogany, paper tree, walnut, fig tree and arabisco.

Last edited:
Smart.

Ecuador has been on a bit of a rise lately and a lot of it is due to "cleaning up" of major areas in the country as Ecuador's tourism industry continues to rise. Americans are also retiring in Ecuador in waves since Ecuador utilizes the American currency and is dirt damn cheap to live in compared to living in the US. Having a million dollars doesn't last you forever up here but can make you a king down there.

Planting diverse species of trees with good positioning can help in Ecuador with their "clean up" plan.

What I learned from Ecuador is when visiting Quito drink LOTS of water. :)

J/K, this is a great record to have.

Not all Guinness records are completely pointless. I hope other countries start trying to break it.

On Saturday, in often sweltering heat, more than 44,000 people in Ecuador reportedly sowed their way into the Guinness Book of World Records by planting 647,250 trees of over 200 species in one day. The effort was organized by the Ecuadoran government under an initiative called “Siembratón.” Ecuador’s record was set based on the number of species of trees planted. “There is no record in history of similar events involving over 150 species,” a Guinness Records adjudicator told AFP.

Volunteers reportedly sowed an estimated 216 species of trees across some 2,000 hectares of land in 150 locations ranging from the Pacific coastal region to the Amazonian basin to the high Andean mountains. The diverse climatic terrain likely helped in the small country plant so many different species. Trees included alder, wild cherry, willow, cedar, rosemary, lignum vitae, myrtle, podocarpus, carob, cholan, laurel silk guarando, eugenia, mahogany, paper tree, walnut, fig tree and arabisco.

That's great.

I'm really hoping on getting down there at some point soon, a great place. Contrast with the nightmare that Honduras has become since the libertarians took over.

I'm really hoping on getting down there at some point soon, a great place. Contrast with the nightmare that Honduras has become since the libertarians took over.

It's between that and CR for retirement.

It's between that and CR for retirement.

I was supposed to go to CR 3 weeks ago...couldn't get a flight to Dallas...I fly standby...grrr

I was supposed to go to CR 3 weeks ago...couldn't get a flight to Dallas...I fly standby...grrr

Business? I've been checking it out, very nice. I still need to check out Ecuador.

Business? I've been checking it out, very nice. I still need to check out Ecuador.

No, I retired from the airline biz. I fly free, when there is a seat. Was set to fly into Liberia then on to Tamarindo. Was able to go to Kona instead. But I just got bennies to go to Ecuador, Columbia, Nicaragua, Panama, Brazil, etc. Been to Argentina, Peru and Chile....lots of spots on the map I need to fill in, when I have time and an empty flight...

No, I retired from the airline biz. I fly free, when there is a seat. Was set to fly into Liberia then on to Tamarindo. Was able to go to Kona instead. But I just got bennies to go to Ecuador, Columbia, Nicaragua, Panama, Brazil, etc. Been to Argentina, Peru and Chile....lots of spots on the map I need to fill in, when I have time and an empty flight...

Too cool.

Too cool.

I earned it...worked 14 years during the tough times in the industry, got out after 9/11 with early retirement, then my airline bought out another bigger one, then merged with a huge one....

Not to rain on Ecuador's parade, but Canada for one doesn't need any lessons in this regard. Just here in Ontario, we've recently planted 16.5 million trees in southern Ontario and we have a program to plant 50 million trees over the next 10 years.

Trees Ontario: Northern partners look for ways to grow capacity of 50 Million Tree Program

When you use the land and the resources it bestows, you also have a responsibility to manage and invigorate that resource, as best you can.

Joke article.

"I subscribed to that idiot"

"Idiot"

"Nightmare

"Stupid"

Finding words like that (along with the fact that this is a salon article) already tells me that the article is nothing but a little opinion piece.

There's also this...

"Police ride around trucks carrying machine guns" - that's a libertarian ideal?

"The greatest examples of libertarianism in action are the hundreds of men, women and children standing alongside the roads all over Honduras. The government won’t fix the roads, so these desperate entrepreneurs fill in potholes with shovels of dirt or debris." - **** loads of libertarians including myself have found that public utility including roads and such fall nicely with responsibilities of the government. At most perhaps private companies can do it but with government subsidies.

"That is the wet dream of libertarian private sector innovation." - "wet dream :lamo

Only a moron would quote a salon article. Glad to see that you quoted them.

The article essentially focuses on privatization (to a rather extremist extent) which is not inherently libertarian nor is it something that many libertarians prescribe to.

If you actually READ our philosophy and READ the constitution you'd understand that many times if we don't want the FEDERAL government to do something then we want the STATE government to do it, NOT NECESSARILY A PRIVATE COMPANY.

Joke article.

"I subscribed to that idiot"

"Idiot"

"Nightmare

"Stupid"

Finding words like that (along with the fact that this is a salon article) already tells me that the article is nothing but a little opinion piece.

There's also this...

"Police ride around trucks carrying machine guns" - that's a libertarian ideal?

"The greatest examples of libertarianism in action are the hundreds of men, women and children standing alongside the roads all over Honduras. The government won’t fix the roads, so these desperate entrepreneurs fill in potholes with shovels of dirt or debris." - **** loads of libertarians including myself have found that public utility including roads and such fall nicely with responsibilities of the government. At most perhaps private companies can do it but with government subsidies.

"That is the wet dream of libertarian private sector innovation." - "wet dream :lamo

Only a moron would quote a salon article. Glad to see that you quoted them.

The article essentially focuses on privatization (to a rather extremist extent) which is not inherently libertarian nor is it something that many libertarians prescribe to.

If you actually READ our philosophy and READ the constitution you'd understand that many times if we don't want the FEDERAL government to do something then we want the STATE government to do it, NOT NECESSARILY A PRIVATE COMPANY.

I think you need to put more words in all capps, because that really makes your point...really...it does. :lamo

Move to Honduras, create a utopia, go ahead, do it.

That hellhole is done now.

The military fully controls the sales and manufacturing of arms. The general citizenry will almost never be able to obtain guns for a revolution. Only the criminals who pay the government off.

Honduras isn't a libertarian state.

Back
Top Bottom