• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Ever Became of George W. Bush?

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
[h=1]What Ever Became of George W. Bush?[/h]
"This may seem like an odd question, but the other day I found myself wondering what had become of George W. Bush. The answer, of course, is nothing. He lives in Dallas with Laura and…that's about it. For all practical purposes, he's disappeared. You'd hardly know that for eight years he was one of the most polarizing presidents in recent memory.Why? Partly, it's because Bush himself has chosen to keep such a low profile. He makesmotivational speeches now and again, and shows up for the odd dedication or funeral, but otherwise keeps to himself. Even his 2010 memoir barely made a splash.
But the real reason is deeper. Bush may have seemed larger than life for eight years, but he left a surprisingly thin legacy. Take his legislative agenda. No Child Left Behind is now widely unpopular among both liberals and conservatives—so unpopular that Congress has spent the past five years assiduously avoiding a vote to reauthorize it. His tax cuts expired in 2010 and are now little more than a political football. His own party wants to repeal key provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley. The Supreme Court has effectively gutted campaign finance reform. On the foreign policy front, his wars are widely viewed as expensive failures. And he was never able to get so much as a vote on Social Security privatization or immigration reform.

That doesn't leave much. Pretty much all that's left is the PATRIOT Act and the Medicare prescription drug bill. That's not much for eight years."

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/08/what-ever-became-george-w-bus
h

You know what - no one cares . . . I don't.

Presidents matter when they're president.

Very few continue to be involved in politics after their presidency. . .

He's probably chopping up brush or whatever on his ranch. And enjoying it.

He copyrighted his name, now he gets a fat royalty check every month, due to the numerous times the Obama administration blames him for their failures, and laughs all the way to the bank! :laughat:

The really funny part is that 5 years after he left office, some people are still obsessed with him.

"This may seem like an odd question, but the other day I found myself wondering what had become of George W. Bush. The answer, of course, is nothing. He lives in Dallas with Laura and…that's about it. For all practical purposes, he's disappeared. You'd hardly know that for eight years he was one of the most polarizing presidents in recent memory.Why? Partly, it's because Bush himself has chosen to keep such a low profile. He makesmotivational speeches now and again, and shows up for the odd dedication or funeral, but otherwise keeps to himself. Even his 2010 memoir barely made a splash.
But the real reason is deeper. Bush may have seemed larger than life for eight years, but he left a surprisingly thin legacy. Take his legislative agenda. No Child Left Behind is now widely unpopular among both liberals and conservatives—so unpopular that Congress has spent the past five years assiduously avoiding a vote to reauthorize it. His tax cuts expired in 2010 and are now little more than a political football. His own party wants to repeal key provisions of Sarbanes-Oxley. The Supreme Court has effectively gutted campaign finance reform. On the foreign policy front, his wars are widely viewed as expensive failures. And he was never able to get so much as a vote on Social Security privatization or immigration reform.

That doesn't leave much. Pretty much all that's left is the PATRIOT Act and the Medicare prescription drug bill. That's not much for eight years."

h

Wow, Bush got a negative review on motherjones? Who'd a thunk it.

Ahh, Cat...move on with your life. Apparently President Bush has.

Wow, Bush got a negative review on motherjones? Who'd a thunk it.

Ahh, Cat...move on with your life. Apparently President Bush has.

LOL - there's like, 5 people in the US who admit they voted for him :shrug: Didn't have my hopes set high for that :)

h

Is your point that 6 years after the fact you can't move on? You do realize that we are currently into our second term with an entirely different president....who has continued to follow Bush international policies? You truly are stuck in 2003 protest. ...that was a decade ago by the way. I would think that after seeing two presidents from different parties following much of the same foreign policies that you would acknowledge the bigger issues that continue to escape you.

Last edited:
Whatever came of the Barack Obama that campaigned for president? He disappeared after each election to be replaced by a vastly different person of the same name.

LOL - there's like, 5 people in the US who admit they voted for him :shrug: Didn't have my hopes set high for that :)

I not only know lots of people who admit to voting for him, but virtually all those wish he was still president instead of Obama.

Whatever came of the Barack Obama that campaigned for president? He disappeared after each election to be replaced by a vastly different person of the same name.

Don't many politicians, especially those that run for President?

h

But, but, but, can't the radical Progressives at Mother Jones understand, without the windmill of President Bush to tilt at everyday, they wouldn't have anyone to blame their inept results on!

What became of George W. Bush is that he has become one of the greatest scapegoats in modern liberal/progressive history.

Well, anybody can be barack obama. All you need is a birth certificate from Hawaii, a social security number from Connecticut and a selective service card without a date stamp.

Take his legislative agenda. No Child Left Behind is now widely unpopular among both liberals and conservatives—so unpopular that Congress has spent the past five years assiduously avoiding a vote to reauthorize it.

And yet the legacy largely remains intact with the Obama Administration. If anything, this has been one of his most substantive reforms, like it or not.

Barrack Obama is a Democrat. He is allowed to do Bush type things without liberal whine to follow. The absolute flip flop between Democrat and Republican criticisms over the last 12 years is astounding. The worst of the lot are their constituents who hinge on every poltitical word as if truth is coming. At least politicians do what they are supposed to. Constituents prove constantly Jefferson's fears - a nation run entirely by citizens is doomed to selfishness, near-sightedness, and ignorance.

Being Canadian, I never had the chance to vote for Bush, but I would have been honored to do so.

The reason you don't hear much from GW is because he respects the Office of the President and unlike two former Democrat Presidents who make fools of themselves frequently, he follows in his father's footsteps, keeping his counsel to himself and never criticizing the current President for his handling of the office.

GW is a fine man, a good person, and he served your country faithfully, with integrity, and being snarky says a great deal more about you than it does about the former President of your great country.

Don't many politicians, especially those that run for President?

Absolutely. Obama pushed that to a new level. Now, to know what many politicians are going to do is to just listen to what they say and rely on he/she doing exactly the opposite.

Absolutely. Obama pushed that to a new level. Now, to know what many politicians are going to do is to just listen to what they say and rely on he/she doing exactly the opposite.

In Obama's defense, I believe he was more naive and ignorant than he was a liar. I believe he honestly expected to step into the White House, wave magic wands, turn the historical anti-American switch off, and discover a brand new way to deal with global belligerents and our allies. The joke was on him and his voters rather quickly. Of course, Democrats and liberals also quickly refused to acknowledge that a lot of "Hope and Change" was supposed to be about doing things differently than Bush. This makes their Bush protests foolish and their Obama support hypocritical. One can only imgaine the Democrat and liberal hypocracy if North Korea escalates into a situation where "Pre-emption" occurs. The idea that we should only attack those who attack us will fly right out the window and fall right into place with just about every single miltary campaign we ever had. Of course, it will be Republicans who now use the tag line hypocritically against Obama.

Carter disappeared for a decade after his presidency. But Bush may actually be walking the talk by going silent. You might recall that one of the issues of the day during the Bush presidency was the open mouth attitude of an ex-POTUS or two.

Last edited:
I not only know lots of people who admit to voting for him, but virtually all those wish he was still president instead of Obama.

I'm one who would rather he still be POTUS but, without the Patriot act and part D.

The fact Liberals hate him to the max is just a bonus.

"For George W. Bush, it was the worst of terms.

Sequentially hammered by the Iraq war, the bungled response to Hurricane Katrina, soaring gasoline prices and, as the coup de grace, the current economic crisis, Bush endured his second term without once attaining majority public approval – a feat unseen in 70 years of presidential approval polls.

Along the way he reached the highest disapproval yet recorded and missed the lowest-ever approval by a single percentage point. His average 37 percent approval the past four years squeaks him past Harry Truman as the worst on record for a full second term.

It's not just about Bush: The legacy of his unpopularity extends beyond his own reputation to the country's fundamental political equation. Since 2004 he's presided over a retreat in Republican Party allegiance that threatens to reverse a generation of gains."

"The irony is that Bush's second-term failure grew from the same root as his initial success. While his early campaign against terrorism was vastly popular, the war in Iraq – portrayed by Bush as a necessary extension of that campaign – proved a bridge too far."

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/BushLegacy/story?id=6567339&page=1#.UWXc_o7vbzJ

Back
Top Bottom