• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Ever Became of George W. Bush?

History will remember GWB as the Herbert Hoover of the 21st Century. That much is guaranteed.

Historians agree that Hoover got a bad wrap. He actually tried to do more than what people know, but hadn't a clue what to do and couldn't bring himself to break from the Republican tag lines of the last 50 years.

Well, my link went to a page where you could have clicked on the actual list or the opinion list. My point was to show them both so that people could see the difference between an historical study and present-day hysteria.
The "actual list" is comprised of a couple of public opinion polls, in addition to an previous edition of a scholarly poll which you have promptly dismissed as junk. You are, once again, trashing your own source here. Wise up.

A Look at the Polls: How did U.S. News determine its list of the 10 worst presidents?

C-SPAN, 1999 Wall Street Journal, 2005 Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. 1996 Siena Poll, 2002 Ridings-McIver Poll, 1996.

elephants.........elephants ...l remember them ...

But do you think that will make it into the historians' reports? It's trivial and is a great example of how people see present day as the worst day ever.

Also, your usage of aggregate polling data, the latest of which dated 2005, as evidence that History will not view GWB as a bottom tier executive, while dismissing a poll from 2010 as "present day public frenzy" that states precisely the opposite is simply hilarious.

The "actual list" is comprised of a couple of public opinion polls, in addition to an previous edition of a scholarly poll which you have promptly dismissed as junk. You are, once again, trashing your own source here. Wise up.

A Look at the Polls: How did U.S. News determine its list of the 10 worst presidents?

C-SPAN, 1999 Wall Street Journal, 2005 Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. 1996 Siena Poll, 2002 Ridings-McIver Poll, 1996.

I'm just going to state that I totally screwed that whole link up even though the link I gave showed a lst of 10 without Bush. If you chose to click on other links fine.

However, the scholarly "poll" is going to be innacurate because it smacks of present day immediatism. This is stated within the article as a disclaimer and goes on to state that historians can judge better at a distance. This is why Bush is not on the list of 10.

Also, your usage of polls, the latest of which dated 2005, as evidence that History will not view GWB as a bottom tier executive, while dismissing a poll from 2010 that states precisely the opposite is simply hilarious.

Dude, I just typed it into google and presented it after clicking on the list of 10.

But do you think that will make it into the historians' reports? It's trivial and is a great example of how people see present day as the worst day ever.

maybe those historians share the same IQ level with him

I'm just going to state that I totally screwed that whole link up even though the link I gave showed a lst of 10 without Bush. If you chose to click on other links fine.

However, the scholarly "poll" is going to be innacurate because it smacks of present day immediatism.

This is stated within the article as a disclaimer and goes on to state that historians can judge better at a distance. This is why Bush is not on the list of 10.
We already know.

The scholarly poll is from 2010. The collection of polls you're presenting as historical date no later than 2005. 3 out of 5 in fact, were conducted before Bush was elected.

Historians also lack time traveling capabilities, which would be necessary if they were to have included Bush Jr on that list.

maybe those historians share the same IQ level with him

Don't confuse historians with politicians. There's a reason Washington is full of lawyers and not historians.

Don't confuse historians with politicians. There's a reason Washington is full of lawyers and not historians.

we were talking about historians ..

Historians agree that Hoover got a bad wrap. He actually tried to do more than what people know, but hadn't a clue what to do and couldn't bring himself to break from the Republican tag lines of the last 50 years.

Yeah....Hoover was just misunderstood like Bush....riiiiiiight. They both led this country to the brink of financial collapse.

We already know.

The scholarly poll is from 2010. The collection of polls you're presenting as historical date no later than 2005. 3 out of 5 in fact, were conducted before Bush was elected.

Historians also lack time traveling capabilities, which would be necessary if they were to have included Bush Jr on that list.

So you think a couple years after a president leaves office is enough time for historians to figure out all the angels behind the decisions from unreleased reports and a region still taking shape?

You tell me....why is it that Bush would appear negative on a list whereas Obama would appear positive on a list given that foreign policies are identical? You assess whether or not headline immediatism hasn't taken hold.

In Obama's defense, I believe he was more naive and ignorant than he was a liar. I believe he honestly expected to step into the White House, wave magic wands, turn the historical anti-American switch off, and discover a brand new way to deal with global belligerents and our allies. The joke was on him and his voters rather quickly. Of course, Democrats and liberals also quickly refused to acknowledge that a lot of "Hope and Change" was supposed to be about doing things differently than Bush. This makes their Bush protests foolish and their Obama support hypocritical. One can only imgaine the Democrat and liberal hypocracy if North Korea escalates into a situation where "Pre-emption" occurs. The idea that we should only attack those who attack us will fly right out the window and fall right into place with just about every single miltary campaign we ever had. Of course, it will be Republicans who now use the tag line hypocritically against Obama.
-----------------
Very true.
Good post(s).
You appear to be one of the few self-described independents who actually is independent.

republican presidents usually go off and retire from political life and do their own thing, as did Reagan, bush 1 and now bush w.

democrat presidents continue on in political matters, Carter, Clinton, and so will obama when he is out of office, they just never go away......we are still looking at Carter's face in the political arena .

Yeah....Hoover was just misunderstood like Bush....riiiiiiight. They both led this country to the brink of financial collapse.

Um...yes. Misunderstood by the people....not historians. You highlight this by blaming Bush for the recession and not Clinton in 1998 when he ended Roosevelt's clamp on banks. Do you think it is a coincidence that Glass-Steagall sits directly between America's worst Depression and Recession? This is why immediatist are always wrong. Your personal hatred of all things Bush has you needing to blame Bush for everything. He merely inherited a time bomb and did nothing to correct it. Neither has Obama. Both presidents have tried to do what Roosevelt did, but with pathetic results. Maybe if Obama can get us into a World War we can fix the economy like FDR did.

-----------------
Very true.
Good post(s).
You appear to be one of the few self-described independents who actually is independent.

Yeah most "Independents" even fool themselves. My Mother boasts to be independent, but has voted Republican ever since Carter. Most of the independents on this site seem to lean heavily to the Left or to the Right. And they all seem to celebrate their moods in accordance to the headline of the day or the political speech of the day. There's rarely consistency.

we were talking about historians ..

Real historians perform a ridiculous amount of study and write books. Their IQs will alway be higher than any politician's.

Um...yes. Misunderstood by the people....not historians. You highlight this by blaming Bush for the recession and not Clinton in 1998 when he ended Roosevelt's clamp on banks. Do you think it is a coincidence that Glass-Steagall sits directly between America's worst Depression and Recession? This is why immediatist are always wrong. Your personal hatred of all things Bush has you needing to blame Bush for everything. He merely inherited a time bomb and did nothing to correct it. Neither has Obama. Both presidents have tried to do what Roosevelt did, but with pathetic results. Maybe if Obama can get us into a World War we can fix the economy like FDR did.

LOL...oh...that's right. The economic collapse occured on Clinton's Watch....9/11 occurred on Clinton's watch....GWB captured and killed Bin Laden and led us to the golden arches of economic paradise. I know your kind well.

Real historians perform a ridiculous amount of study and write books. Their IQs will alway be higher than any politician's.

according to their study on junior bush ,it doesnt seem so .

according to their study on junior bush ,it doesnt seem so .

Their IQs are irrelevent because they aren't historians. Who knows what their "studies" included. I guarantee it didn't involve the Middle East and catered only to simple notions of released reports. I'm sure plenty of them think Bush caused the melt down, despite the "hush" in Washington about 1998 that makes both sides of the aisle guilty as hell for it.

Historians a decade or two from now will be able to look at the region, look at further released reports, and look at a more focused picture of his 8 years. But even they didn't place him in the top 10.

When George W. was president I use to comment on his diehard supporter's insistence that all things bad on his watch were Bill Clinton's fault.
9/11? Bill Clinton.
Economy? Bill Clinton.
Osama Bin Laden? Bill Clinton. etc. etc. etc.
I use to jokingly say Bill Clinton's statute of limitations on blame would expire in 2043. Ironically, those who blamed Clinton for GW's woes, condemn President Obama for dealing with consequences, and they do so without question (short term memory loss). It's like history doesn't even exist anymore . . . especially the recent stuff.

LOL...oh...that's right. The economic collapse occured on Clinton's Watch....9/11 occurred on Clinton's watch....GWB captured and killed Bin Laden and led us to the golden arches of economic paradise. I know your kind well.

I'm going to amaze you and show you how an adult behaves. Watch how I do this...

1) The economic collapse occurred under Bush.

2) The econmic collapse occurred because Glass-Steagall was repealed in 1998 by the Republican Party and President Bill Clinton.

Do you even know what Glass-Steagall was? I'm guessing you haven't a clue. I know your kind too. The kind that hasn't a clue about what he is bithicng about yet finds comfort in perpetuating the ignorance of the issue at hand.

When George W. was president I use to comment on his diehard supporter's insistence that all things bad on his watch were Bill Clinton's fault.
9/11? Bill Clinton.
Economy? Bill Clinton.
Osama Bin Laden? Bill Clinton. etc. etc. etc.
I use to jokingly say Bill Clinton's statute of limitations on blame would expire in 2043. Ironically, those who blamed Clinton for GW's woes, condemn President Obama for dealing with consequences, and they do so without question (short term memory loss). It's like history doesn't even exist anymore . . . especially the recent stuff.

Well most Americans rely on politicians and commentators to assist them to the truths.

1) 9/11 was not Clinton's fault. However, 9/11 happened because three presidents failed to recognize the growing theme of the Middle East.

2) The economy began its inevitable crash as soon as Clitnon removed what Roosevelt implimented following the Great Depression.

3) Osama Bin Laden was a symptom of a larger disease.

In regards to anything that has anythng to do with the MENA, our intelligence systems are at fault and the ignorance of our politicians merely allowed it. Today, our intelligence community is far better and have the pulse of the region, despite our politicians who still celebrate ignorance.

Well most Americans rely on politicians and commentators to assist them to the truths.

1) 9/11 was not Clinton's fault. However, 9/11 happened because three presidents failed to recognize the growing theme of the Middle East.

2) The economy began its inevitable crash as soon as Clitnon removed what Roosevelt implimented following the Great Depression.

3) Osama Bin Laden was a symptom of a larger disease.

In regards to anything that has anythng to do with the MENA, our intelligence systems are at fault and the ignorance of our politicians merely allowed it. Today, our intelligence community is far better and have the pulse of the region, despite our politicians who still celebrate ignorance.

Thank you reiterating my thoughts. I know I did not imagine it.

Thank you reiterating my thoughts. I know I did not imagine it.

Well what you stated was more in tune to what politicially leaning stooges have stated in the past in their simplicities to be good sheep. What I "reiterated" was more factual.

You see, presidents don't just show up to a clean slate. They do inherit issues either ignored or created by those that come before them. Rarely does a President get to find himself in a situation where there is no history build up.

Back
Top Bottom