• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What ends the shutdown? Is there a realistic scenario any time soon?

Keridan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Please bear in mind that I am not asking who you blame for the shutdown. That's been hashed out a hundred times and will continue to be argued all day long.

What worries me as a slightly left moderate is that I see both sides playing a game of chicken and showing all signs that they will die on this hill. Unfortunately, this huge government has vastly inserted itself into our lives. Even if you want less of them, like myself, you probably don't want them on a dead halt and screaming at each other.

Both sides are saying "It's their fault and I'm not going to give up ANY ground!" It's purely political since we are dealing with less than 0.01% of government spending and both sides think it's the end of the world.

So my question is, what ends this? I don't mean the general "The other side gives up and we are good!". I mean is there a compromise that you actually see happening any time soon? Will either side admit they are shutting down the government over something stupid and take the high ground? Will they hit a number that they can feel won't end their careers after they've taken it this far?

We are in the longest shutdown in history and everyone is screaming they will let the world burn rather than give up this stupid argument. Does it end? How?

Please bear in mind that I am not asking who you blame for the shutdown. That's been hashed out a hundred times and will continue to be argued all day long.

What worries me as a slightly left moderate is that I see both sides playing a game of chicken and showing all signs that they will die on this hill. Unfortunately, this huge government has vastly inserted itself into our lives. Even if you want less of them, like myself, you probably don't want them on a dead halt and screaming at each other.

Both sides are saying "It's their fault and I'm not going to give up ANY ground!" It's purely political since we are dealing with less than 0.01% of government spending and both sides think it's the end of the world.

So my question is, what ends this? I don't mean the general "The other side gives up and we are good!". I mean is there a compromise that you actually see happening any time soon? Will either side admit they are shutting down the government over something stupid and take the high ground? Will they hit a number that they can feel won't end their careers after they've taken it this far?

We are in the longest shutdown in history and everyone is screaming they will let the world burn rather than give up this stupid argument. Does it end? How?

I can't see either side making any compromises.

The house has passed several bills to end the shutdown, all of which died in the Senate (as expected.) The Senate has made several compromises, but Trump is adamant that he must have the whole 5.7 billion for the Great Wall of Trump. The money isn't even the issue, as the shutdown itself is likely to cost many times that amount. The issue is that Trump must have his wall, and the Congress is equally adamant that he will not. There seems to be no middle ground.

The house has passed several bills to end the shutdown, all of which died in the Senate (as expected.) The Senate has made several compromises, but Trump is adamant that he must have the whole 5.7 billion for the Great Wall of Trump. The money isn't even the issue, as the shutdown itself is likely to cost many times that amount. The issue is that Trump must have his wall, and the Congress is equally adamant that he will not. There seems to be no middle ground.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I love the idea of cutting government back seriously, but there is a big difference and this passed stupid 3 weeks ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone sees a solution that might actually happen any time soon.

Hell, the longer it goes on, the harder it is for one side to admit they were wrong to hold us all hostage and change their approach.

Maybe it's not such a big deal. Lots of MSM exposure being generated by both sides. Most personal lives are unaffected. I wouldn't miss Homeland Security or TSA and think terrorism is over rated and a MSM myth. Just a damn shame it didn't shut down the MIC.
/

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I love the idea of cutting government back seriously, but there is a big difference and this passed stupid 3 weeks ago.

I'm just wondering if anyone sees a solution that might actually happen any time soon.

Hell, the longer it goes on, the harder it is for one side to admit they were wrong to hold us all hostage and change their approach.

and meanwhile, the national parks are closed, thousands of government employees are out of work, and the US looks more and more like a third world country.

I'd think maybe it's time for the states to take over some of the functions of the federal government, but then, I remember back to when California closed its state parks, including some of the more lucrative ones, due to a budget shortfall. I'm really not sure just what the solution is to this mess.

Maybe a Constitutional amendment saying that the failure to pass a balanced budget on time triggers an election in which every seat is up for grabs and no incumbent may run. That should get the politicians' attention.

The solution is for McConnel to allow a vote. He doesn't cuz he knows a lot of his senators would stab him and Trump straight in the back to end the shut down. That's really the problem is that the blockage and solution are all on Mitch, regardless of the rhetoric.

The only way out is for a group of moderate senators to come up with a compromise that can get 60 votes. Once that happens, I think Trump will throw his support behind it and Pelosi will be left with the choice of going along or wearing the shutdown anvil around her neck.

What ends the shutdown? Is there a realistic scenario any time soon?

Red:
It's easier to say what won't end it. Trump acknowledging that, as is so for every topmost principal running an organization, it's his job to, among other things, keep the federal government "up and running," thus to subordinate his personal aims to those of a citizenry in need of government that functions as a "going concern," isn't what'll end it because Trump isn't going to ever acknowledge that.

Trump has the "l'etat c'est moi" mentality, and until he disabuses himself of it, the government will, barring supermajority-passed funding legislation, remain closed until Trump gives in.

The solution is for McConnel to allow a vote. He doesn't cuz he knows a lot of his senators would stab him and Trump straight in the back to end the shut down. That's really the problem is that the blockage and solution are all on Mitch, regardless of the rhetoric.

I'm looking for likely possible solutions. McConnel isn't about to admit fault and change his approach.

The shutdown ends when one or more people die because they aren't working and can't pay some for some sort of essential medication, treatment, food stuff, or perhaps when a couple planes crash in mid-air or on the ground or fly into a building in the US.

It could also end if gov't workers -- funded and unfunded alike - simply get the balls to, en masse, just not show up for work and bring the country to a literal halt.

The only way out is for a group of moderate senators to come up with a compromise that can get 60 votes. Once that happens, I think Trump will throw his support behind it and Pelosi will be left with the choice of going along or wearing the shutdown anvil around her neck.

I at least see Trump unable to veto it. This would be a solid solution. They'd have to get McConnel to put it up, tho.

Red:
It's easier to say what won't end it. Trump acknowledging that, as is so for every topmost principal running an organization, it's his job to, among other things, keep the federal government "up and running," thus to subordinate his personal aims to those of a citizenry in need of government that functions as a "going concern," isn't what'll end it because Trump isn't going to ever acknowledge that.

Trump has the "l'etat c'est moi" mentality, and until he disabuses himself of it, the government will, barring supermajority-passed funding legislation, remain closed until Trump gives in.

I understand what you are saying and agree for the most part. I'm just looking for anything that might actually happen. At current rate, we will never see the government open back up.

...We are in the longest shutdown in history and everyone is screaming they will let the world burn rather than give up this stupid argument. Does it end? How?

It ends when enough Repub Senators hear enough complaints from enough of their constituency that they demand Numnuts end his shutdown. As much as The Cult would love it, this isn't going to last for two more years.

When enough members of the Coast Guard, HS, TSA, park Ranges, ATC, etc., and many other government workers quit and start looking for new jobs so they can pay their bills, Trump will cave. I hope he takes more pride in opening our government then he took when he closed it...

and meanwhile, the national parks are closed, thousands of government employees are out of work, and the US looks more and more like a third world country...

I've heard that Numnuts is keeping the major parks open trying to keep from too many Americans telling him to end his shutdown...

The Senators are the key, but they won't get one Dem Senator to suck up to Numnuts. When enough Repub Senators tell Trump to end this, Trump will have no choice of going along or he'll declare he's our New Leader for life. Seriously, I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever voluntarily step down...

and meanwhile, the national parks are closed, thousands of government employees are out of work, and the US looks more and more like a third world country.

I'd think maybe it's time for the states to take over some of the functions of the federal government, but then, I remember back to when California closed its state parks, including some of the more lucrative ones, due to a budget shortfall. I'm really not sure just what the solution is to this mess.

Maybe a Constitutional amendment saying that the failure to pass a balanced budget on time triggers an election in which every seat is up for grabs and no incumbent may run. That should get the politicians' attention.

I'd vote for that amendment a hundred times over!

Yup, McConnell has to stop being a prick and allow senate to vote. Let Trump veto it. I don't understand how leaders in senate can prevent things from being voted on. Just like they did with Obama's SCOTUS prick. I can't believe people aren't making more of a stink about a stolen SCOTUS pick. There was hype for a few weeks and then nothing. That is complete garbage.

Illinois had a governor, ex CEO millionaire with no political experience. He held the state budget hostage for 2 friggen years trying to force his anti worker legislation through, which he couldn't get the votes for. He was ousted next election.

no way can we go that long without a federal budget, but Trump is a POS, and republicans are content with destroying the fed government so they won't budge.

no way should dems budge on providing funding to a dumb wall that does nothing to provide border security, when they are happy to provide budget for actual increase border security.Trump just wants a win to pander to his deplorable base

Back
Top Bottom