• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What eateries do you miss from places you used to live...

Maurice's deli. It started in the basement of the local YWCA in Schenectady and served roast beef sandwiches on onion rolls as well as a few desserts. I don't even know if anything else was available because EVERYBODY ordered the fresh sliced roast beef. Later on they moved to the old Nicholaus's building on the corner of Erie and State. The line (mostly folks from the GE plant down the street) used to wrap around the block. It was REALLY that good!

They still exist (or did the last time I was back) but it's not even close to the way it used to be. The pic below is the old Nicholaus's location though it appears to have been taken some time after they moved out. They have since moved to a couple of locations around town and while it's still good it's no longer the great gift to gastronomy that it used to be.

46178.jpg

None by name but I sure do miss the fresh crab from when I lived in the DC area. You could get it everywhere. All the other places are local places that closed as opposed to me moving and losing access.

White Castle in NYC where a meal was 15¢.

What eateries do you miss from places you used to live, but no longer have easy access to?

raw sourish green apples from granpa'S garden

add some salt to it before eating

PFR-APPBRCL3.jpg

What eateries do you miss from places you used to live, but no longer have easy access to?

first one came to mind was a place in el paso. it's been over 55 years since i left but was the first 'take out' i can recall. it was a place about the size of a telephone booth and you could order anything you wanted, so long as it was a beef taco. five for a dollar. arrive in a 55 chevy and use your fingers to indicate how many were sought. authentic, greasy and tasty

'only' been 44+ years since i left an air force base in japan that had a drive in with the best burgers i have ever eaten. also fond of the snack bars there with 10c french fries and vanilla cokes

35 years since i left fayette'nam and a great texmex place just off post. order the combo - one of everything. girl friend liked it at least as much as i did. also a pool hall on hay street for lunch. memorable more for the price than the food: two chili dogs and a pepsi for 90c ... a frequent lunch time destination for a guy with a lead stomach and small wallet

The food is crap, I now realize, but as a kid, my parents used to take me to Ryan's steak house and buffet for my birthdays. I loved that place. All the fried chicken I could choke down.

There are several places in FL I miss...Tijuana Flats, a little queso/nachos place, but oh, those nachos were the best, and over 30 different hot sauces to choose from. Then there was First Watch, a breakfast place, and the best wheat germ pancakes I've ever had, bar none. Both can be found in Sarasota.

Oh MAN!! A lot.

Taco Mesa
Supermex
Martha's (Mexican)
Plums (best brunch ever)
California Pizza Kitchen
Tommies Sushi
In and Out Burgers
Willow Wood Cafe'
La Cave (steaks and lobster is all they do)

Most of the ones that I miss have went out of business. Which is why there is no access.

One of my favorites was Ciprianis in Chicago Heights. Just a small little place. Couple of different cooks. Tuscani and Sicilian. Had a bar side. Lot of good memories there with family and friends.

Grandma's Table. A one-off homestyle buffet joint close to where I live. It was a lot like going to a pot luck, good food and variety, inexpensive. It's now a mosque (though you can still tell where the letters for Grandama's Table were mounted).

248px-Burger_Chef_Logo.svg.png

it was probably not that great, but i was a little kid, so i loved it. i remember getting my first burger and milkshake there when i was about three years old.

Flint, Michigan is known for 3 local chains - Halo Burger, Big John's Steak and Onion, and Ya-yas.

Halo Burger just grilled up some good, fresh hamburgers. Their uniqueness came from their toppings - it was the only place in the city where you could get a burger with green olives on it. That was their calling card.

Big John's is a franchise around Flint, Michigan that dealt with sesame-seeded hoagie rolls with fresh steak (also had chicken as well, but known for steak) cooked on an open grill with cheese, mushrooms, and Italian dressing. Ya-yas was a flame broiled chicken chain that made awesome salads.

Those I miss, although I don't care for green olives.

I can't remember the name of the place but they were located in Hermosa Beach on Pier avenue and the strand right on the beach. They made the best and biggest burritos I ever had and they used to cost 50 cents.

Uno pizza.There used to be one in my home town but not anymore.They made this Shrimp and crab pizza in garlic sauce that was awesome.I think it was called the Sea Delicio.

Harvest Buffet,THe Choice Buffet, the Royal Fork and Old country buffet. There used to be all sorts of these buffets in my town but now they all been replaced with numerous Chinese buffets,a Pancho's, a couple of Golden Corals and a Sizzlers.

New Ming Chinese buffet.House of Lin Chinese buffet.These were those restaurants with a small buffet but everything they made was awesome.Usually the Chinese buffets with the giant buffet selections will have only a handful of awesome food and then everything else they have is okay or mediocre.

Fish and Fowl restaurant.The first place I remember having crab legs, frog legs, fried oysters and shrimp.

East Side Cafe.A family owned resturaunt that made great burgers, french fries, chickens and onion rings.

Last edited:

I have many, but they are all associated with a certain dish. I'll go in chronological order.

1. The pizza burgers during lunch in the Gavin School system (K-8th grade), go ahead, laugh, but you never had them.
2. Any dish from the "Waltonian", a old supper club on Fox Lake, Illinois, that used to be a hotel and bar during the depression when Al Capone and Bugs Moran operated in the vacation area of the Chain-O-Lakes in Northern Illinois. All chinese food I eat now has to measure up, unfortunately, most places do not.
3. Hackney's (Chicagoland, closed now) fried onion loaf.
4. A fried rice dish that was enveloped inside a fried scrambled egg, but resembling a burrito more than an omelet, in the snack bar outside my home base barracks when I was stationed in Korea.
5. A Korean fried dumpling called Yakimondu that came from a fry-stand outside Duffy's Club just outside Camp Humphries in Korea.
6. Any push cart Clam stand in Korea that cooked fresh claims served in the shell with a Kimchi type garnish, cooked over a Yeontan charcoal brick, all served up with ice cold OB Beer. Eat and drink for 45-minutes . . . $4.00.
7. Don't laugh, but the hot beef Italian sub served out of Frank's Pizza in Waynesboro, PA. As well as their pizza.
8. The Italian Sub at Decker's Supermarket just outside the main gate at Fort Ritchie, Maryland.
9. No restaurant or eatery, but all that great crab we got to eat when I was stationed on the Maryland Pennsylvania border just outside Washington DC.
10. The garlic mashed potatoes at "Babe Winkleman's" in Memphis, TN . . . don't know if they are still open.
11. Either the Beef or Chicken Chop Suey at the "Stateside Restaurant", on BC Street just outside the back gate of Kadena Air Force Base, Okinawa.
12. The fried chicken sandwich with cheese and onion in the US Naval Hospital Canteen, Camp Kuwae, Okinawa.
13. Don't remember the name, but a Kobe Beef place that cooked food just like Beni Hana in Kuwae Chatan Cho, Okinawa.
14. Don't laugh, "Shakey's Pizza", Kuwae Chatan Cho, Okinawa.
15. Almost any family restaurant in the Philippines that serves Pancet, Lumpia, Chicken Adobo, garlic butter shrimp, or roasted pork.
16. Any push cart in the Philippines that serves fresh, hot, right out of the oil fried Spanish peanuts with clumps of garlic.
17. The pizza at Gus's "Chicago Style Pizza" in Fox Lake, Il.
18. The pizza at Olando's Pizza, in Round Lake Beach, Il.
19. The Chicago Dog, hamburger, and cheeseburger (just like 1960-s early 70's McDonald's) at "Scotty's" in Round Lake Beach, IL.
20. I don't remember the name of the place, but a place outside Sigonella Naval Air Base, Sicily, Italy that served the best damn ham and cheese calzone and sicilian lasagna you will ever put in your mouth.
21. A Chinese place in Catania, Sicily . . . where it was weird seeing Chinese folk speak broken Italian and English, but they served food that measured up to the Waltonian (See Number 2).
22. No place in the Middle East . . . ever.
23. Johnny's Chop House in Antioch, Illinois, their glazed Filet Mignon with demi-glaze combined with the best garlic mashed potatoes since Babe Winkleman's
There ya go . . . hope you weren't bored.

raw sourish green apples from granpa'S garden

add some salt to it before eating

I probably ate ten bushels of green apples a year snitching off the trees in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Some people said I could take all I wanted, but some were stingy so I hit up their's first ;)

If there's one place from NYC that I truly miss it's the old Automats.

Where 10¢ actually got you something to eat. Wow, I'd forgotten all about them. Thanks for the memory recall.

Where 10¢ actually got you something to eat. Wow, I'd forgotten all about them. Thanks for the memory recall.

I'm sure I don't remember the prices but a slice of pie was probably in that range. I'd only hit them up infrequently (most were gone by the late 70's).

I don't recall the prices but a slice of pie was probably in that range. I didn't hit them up that frequently and most were gone by the late 70's anyway.

BTW, this reminds me of another place I used to go....O'Neil's Balloon by Lincoln Center. It was pretty much a regular stop for a hot dog every time I was in the area.

I don't recall the prices but a slice of pie was probably in that range. I didn't hit them up that frequently and most were gone by the late 70's anyway.

BTW, this reminds me of another place I used to go....O'Neil's Balloon by Lincoln Center. It was pretty much a regular stop for a hot dog every time I was in the area.

My memories are 1958-1961 which might explain the price difference.

Lums
They served hot dogs steamed in beer. I believe the original one was located somewhere in Florida. They became a chain and went bankrupt in the 80's.

I miss my Taco Bell so much...

150px-Taco_Bell_logo.svg.png

For some reason Germany has all the crappy fastfood restaurants: KFC, Burger King, Mcdonalds, Subway, etc., but not a single Taco Bell.... Totally sucks.

I probably ate ten bushels of green apples a year snitching off the trees in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Some people said I could take all I wanted, but some were stingy so I hit up their's first ;)

my grandpa used to tell us to avoid eating other people's foods

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom