• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What eateries do you miss from places you used to live...

Shakeys pizza.

There was also this little taco place that was up the street a couple blocks. Just a little dive but their meat was amazing. They had this special seasoning and they'd cook the meat well and toasty, just the way I like it. And they had a little condiment buffet where you could top your tacos with all kinds of different stuff. They were also super cheap and it was within walking distance, don't know what happened but they just suddenly closed.

And now I'm getting hungry.

I miss my Taco Bell so much...

150px-Taco_Bell_logo.svg.png

For some reason Germany has all the crappy fastfood restaurants: KFC, Burger King, Mcdonalds, Subway, etc., but not a single Taco Bell.... Totally sucks.
Sounds like a business opportunity.

Outback Steakhouse.

I'm an expat living outside the US. Stockholm is home now. I live wherever work or adventure takes me these days. I don't plan on returning to the states anytime soon. As a result, I will have to do without much of the fare I always enjoyed, including just going to the local tavern I favorited to have a couple of beers and a cheeseburger. Meat is the first thing I have noticed that is definitely different abroad. I am not sure what we are doing to it in the states that makes it so thick and tasty, besides being pleasant to the touch and sight, but it makes a difference. Then again, I prefer not to know.

Last edited:
Loads!

In no particular order:

Hansa's vegetarian Gujarati restaurant in Leeds
Nawaab Khan's Punjabi restaurant in Leeds
The Magpie Fish and Chips restaurant in Whitby
The Little Yang Sing Chinese restaurant in Manchester
The Shop bakery and cafe in Phnom Penh
Iznik Turkish resaurant in Highbury, London
Mangal Pide & Lahmacun Salonu in Dalston, London

The Magpie fish and chip shop is now so busy..that you have to queue up to an hour..(Thanks Rick Stein!!)

Last time we were there..the guy in front of us had a massive heart attack..

Adnan's, Turkish grill house in Dalston..London..

The Magpie fish and chip shop is now so busy..that you have to queue up to an hour..(Thanks Rick Stein!!)
Yes, but now you can book ahead, and the staff are superb. Last time I was there I had my twin piece/nephew with me, 9 months old, and when our main courses arrived our waitress took them off our hands while we ate. Billing and cooing and entertaining them for 20 minutes. How great is that?

Last time we were there..the guy in front of us had a massive heart attack..
That'll happen if you eat that kind of food too often. :(

Adnan's, Turkish grill house in Dalston..London..
Don't know that one, but Dalston/Stoke Newington has THE best Turkish food in the UK.

Sounds like a business opportunity.

I never reallu understood why Taco Bell, given how popular it is in the States, has never developed its business worldwide like the other chains have.

Yes, but now you can book ahead, and the staff are superb. Last time I was there I had my twin piece/nephew with me, 9 months old, and when our main courses arrived our waitress took them off our hands while we ate. Billing and cooing and entertaining them for 20 minutes. How great is that?

That'll happen if you eat that kind of food too often. :(

Don't know that one, but Dalston/Stoke Newington has THE best Turkish food in the UK.

Last time I was in Whitby..it was a hot day..

It was charming..there was a kid's crab catching contest..bits of bacon on a string..some of them were getting really competitive...crying..nicking crabs out of each others buckets...and all for the grand prize of £10 for the winner..:cool:

Last time I was in Whitby..it was a hot day..

It was charming..there was a kid's crab catching contest..bits of bacon on a string..some of them were getting really competitive...crying..nicking crabs out of each others buckets...and all for the grand prize of £10 for the winner..:cool:

I grew up in that area, I know what a wonderful, wonderful place it is. I have dozens of childhood memories just like that. Picnics on the beach at Sandsend, when the sands ended up in the sandwiches and sausage rolls. Crabbing at Robin Hood's Bay and mackerel fishing trips on my dad's boss's boat out of Whitby harbour. Throughout all that The Magpie was there serving the best haddock and chips. Happy days!

I grew up in that area, I know what a wonderful, wonderful place it is. I have dozens of childhood memories just like that. Picnics on the beach at Sandsend, when the sands ended up in the sandwiches and sausage rolls. Crabbing at Robin Hood's Bay and mackerel fishing trips on my dad's boss's boat out of Whitby harbour. Throughout all that The Magpie was there serving the best haddock and chips. Happy days!

Unfortunately Whitby is subsiding..the most beautiful houses are collapsing...Robin Hood's bay is so interesting..becoming rich because of piracy and smuggling..and let's not forget the wreckers..

My favorite was a Burmese Restaurant in Oakland called Nan Yang. The food was one of a kind for its day, and the owners Philip and Nancy Chu knew us by name. When my son turned 5, we told him we would take him out to any place he wanted to go to eat, and guess what he chose? It wasn't Chucky Cheese, that's for sure.

Unfortunately Whitby is subsiding..the most beautiful houses are collapsing...Robin Hood's bay is so interesting..becoming rich because of piracy and smuggling..and let's not forget the wreckers..

Whitby's been falling into the sea since before Captain Cook set sail. The quay the Endeavour set sail from is today apparently about 100m out to sea.

In-N-Out burger..... good lord do i miss those burgers and fries.

not to fear though, we're getting one 10 miles from me by the spring (Cedar Park , Texas)

I'm not making any value judgement here, just an observation on clear cultural differences, but I can't imagine a European answering the question in the OP by citing a chain of fast food outlets. I guess we simply don't value fast food that highly. Perhaps fast food joints are just so much better Stateside; I don't really have the experience to say.

Pete's Pizza (The Calzone King) in the U District, Seattle. Had a second location on Queen Anne Hill briefly; that closed. Then the original location closed a few years ago.

I have never found another calzone which even comes close.

Sushi Deli in San Diego. Also the corner Colima's taco shop, nothing like carne asada fries. DELISH!

In-N-Out burger..... good lord do i miss those burgers and fries.

not to fear though, we're getting one 10 miles from me by the spring (Cedar Park , Texas)

Have you tried P.Terry's? There's one on Lamar near 38th, almost the same deal as In n Out, the fries are the same. That's where I go when I have a hankering for In n Out.

Have you tried P.Terry's? There's one on Lamar near 38th, almost the same deal as In n Out, the fries are the same. That's where I go when I have a hankering for In n Out.

I sure haven't... but i will next time i get into the city.

thanks for the info

Lums
They served hot dogs steamed in beer. I believe the original one was located somewhere in Florida. They became a chain and went bankrupt in the 80's.

Ah yes Lums, freezing cold mugs of beer and hot dogs smothered with sauerkraut steamed in wine. They were great!!

When was this?

We use to cut out the coupons in our small town paper that you could get five "sliders' as we called them in the 50's and 60's for ........twenty-five cents!! Five for a quarter!! They were 12 cents each back then. I wonder what theysell for now days. Interesting fact abut White Castles, they never flip the meat. The five holes in the patty allow the heat to cook through without flipping. The flavor of the onions cannot be uncovered not even by the NSA.

Wee-Willies-Weenie Wagon, a food truck in Blue Isalnd, Il. The guy would come up from Florida for a few months in the summer and he had the greatest hot dogs in the history of the world. He has his own spices he put on the dog after it was fully loaded. It is amazing how good junk food tastes when you are young.

Wee-Willies-Weenie Wagon, a food truck in Blue Isalnd, Il. The guy would come up from Florida for a few months in the summer and he had the greatest hot dogs in the history of the world. He has his own spices he put on the dog after it was fully loaded. It is amazing how good junk food tastes when you are young.

the name alone would dissuade me from trying any of his fine offerings

Back
Top Bottom