• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What does Zimmerman deserve?

Vote:

• Total voters
345,000 hours of community service in the ghetto.

I'd sentence him for reckless endangerment or something. He initiated the actions that killed Martin. He behaved recklessly and stupidly, he fired a gun in a public place, he could've hit a bystander or caused property damage.

I think it's an unfortunate situation for him, but I don't feel sorry for him. He did everything in his power to take the law into his own hands. He didn't need to follow Trayvon, he didn't need to get out of his car. Frankly, he didn't even need to call the police. But instead, he acted like a police officer, so whatever came of it was entirely his own doing. What did he think was going to happen?

I'd give him a few years in jail for manslaughter, but here's what I would say: he should never be allowed to own a gun throughout the rest of his life. He's shown he can't be trusted with a weapon, because he thinks it gives him the right to play pretend policeman.

Just my opinion but I think you're being unnecessarily hard on the guy.

He saw something that her perceived as being out of place and took it upon himself to investigate including calling the local authorities. If more people in more neighborhoods did the same we'd probably have a lot less crime. I mean, seriously, do you really believe that the Neighborhood Watch program is a bad thing?

As far as what happened Zimmerman's story is absolutely plausible. If he acted in the way he says he did and with the intent he testified to then he was simply being a diligent citizen. A mindset such as those who suggest that he never should have followed or got out of the car express allows criminals a free pass. What if Martin was stalking an ex girlfriend or something? Zimmerman's actions could have saved an assault or worse. The fact that things went to hell in a handbasket is, if Zimmerman's story is the truth, the sole responsibility of Trayvon Martin.

I'd sentence him for reckless endangerment or something. He initiated the actions that killed Martin. He behaved recklessly and stupidly, he fired a gun in a public place, he could've hit a bystander or caused property damage.

Spuddy, I don't think that makes any sense. It's not like he was just running around the neighborhood shooting his gun. THAT would be reckless endangerment. He shot his gun directly at someone because he feared for his life (according to his story). I'm not sure how you get reckless endangerment out of that.

I think a lot of people are now saying "Well, he should get SOMETHING" simply because it was such a huge story in the media and everyone was upset that a 17 year old was killed. That's not how the law works....at least it shouldn't.

The defense hasn't even had any witnesses yet and the general consensus is that GZ is not guilty. Should be an easy week.

The defense hasn't even had any witnesses yet and the general consensus is that GZ is not guilty. Should be an easy week.

Actually they started last week with their witnesses. GZ's mom and uncle.

So far in testimony, the only one that acted recklessly, and stupidly as proven by the prosecution, was TM himself by confronting Z, instead going home when he had the chance.

That would be "no jail time".

You set up the poll to ask what he should get when he is convicted. No jail time would be probation.

You didn't give the option of his innocence.

It is notable that the OP left "not guilty" off the list.

People --- "no jail time" IS not guilty.

I've actually seen people online say he deserves the death penalty. Either they aren't watching the trial or they are, but they're incredibly ignorant.

It is notable that the OP left "not guilty" off the list.

That might be because the question was "what does he deserve" instead of "what do you think the verdict will be".

Just sayin'.

I've actually seen people online say he deserves the death penalty. Either they aren't watching the trial or they are, but they're incredibly ignorant.

I don't think it's ignorance at all. A lot of people really believe (or seem to want to believe) that this nation is seething with a hatred of blacks and that Zimmerman went after Martin simply because he was black. They see this as a race crime and absolutely nothing will change their mind about it.

I don't think it's ignorance at all. A lot of people really believe (or seem to want to believe) that this nation is seething with a hatred of blacks and that Zimmerman went after Martin simply because he was black. They see this as a race crime and absolutely nothing will change their mind about it.

I call that ignorance, don't you? :)

Just my opinion but I think you're being unnecessarily hard on the guy.

He saw something that her perceived as being out of place and took it upon himself to investigate including calling the local authorities. If more people in more neighborhoods did the same we'd probably have a lot less crime. I mean, seriously, do you really believe that the Neighborhood Watch program is a bad thing?

As far as what happened Zimmerman's story is absolutely plausible. If he acted in the way he says he did and with the intent he testified to then he was simply being a diligent citizen. A mindset such as those who suggest that he never should have followed or got out of the car express allows criminals a free pass. What if Martin was stalking an ex girlfriend or something? Zimmerman's actions could have saved an assault or worse. The fact that things went to hell in a handbasket is, if Zimmerman's story is the truth, the sole responsibility of Trayvon Martin.

I strongly disagree with all of this. You think we'd have less crime if everybody called the police every time they saw somebody they didn't know walking down the street? We'd have more crime because real criminals would be looting Best Buy while the police made sure there were no knives hidden inside those skittles wrappers.

Here's a question: have you ever had somebody follow you in their car because you were walking down the street? Has anybody ever followed you in their car, then stopped, gotten out, and gone after you? Let me tell you that has never, ever happened to me, and the only stories I've heard that include actions like those end in somebody getting mugged or abducted. What ordinary person does what Zimmerman did? Do you follow people and try to apprehend them yourself? That's crazy!

And you say that not condoning Zimmerman's actions gives criminals a free pass. Had Zimmerman seen somebody climbing through a window at 4 AM, it might make a little more sense to call the police. He saw a teenager walking down the street at 7 PM, and the most suspicious part of it was that he was walking slowly. I have really severe arthritis, so I hope Zimmerman is never in my neighborhood, because I'll surely get a visit from the 5-0 for being "very suspicious."

I voted "other" because he deserves a fair trial before a jury of his peers who will decide his guilt or innocence first.

Once that is determined, then A or B:

A: Innocent...to go on with his life without interference from the peanut gallery.

B: Guilty...whatever sentence is determined by whichever (Jury or Judge) the laws of Florida give this power to, regardless of our peanut gallery 2-cents.

I call that ignorance, don't you? :)

I don't know if it's ignorance. It's certainly a warped view of the world but as far as they are concerned it's absolutely true and they will give you tons of evidence to prove their point. As far as I'm concerned it's more "indoctrination" than it is "ignorance".

If you take a person and tell them from birth that they are going to be treated as second class their entire life because of their skin color and then every time they have a problem you tell them that it isn't their fault but just that it's further evidence of people treating them as second class they'll start to believe it. If you then build an infrastructure around them to "help" with the "inconsistent treatment" and continue to replace responsibility for failure with excuses and reduced standards you will breed a culture of failure. That's what we did to the blacks in this country and now we're well on our way to doing it to everyone else.

We have "common core" in the schools which replaces a requirement to display proficiency in a subject with the greatly reduced requirement to simply show some kind of effort. We have an ever expanding Social Security program which has gone from a "safety net" to a full blown retirement plan and a Medicare system which is in the process of morphing into nationalized health care. We have police forces which send in commando teams to take out people who sell raw milk to willing and knowing buyers. We have massive pieces of legislation "protecting" people who make $300k/yr from buying a $400k house while at the same time requiring banks to provide financing to people who make $15k/yr in a an unstable job with $150k home loans. It goes on and on and all of it is geared toward reducing the responsibility for people to look after their own interests and lowering the standards for acceptable behaviors.

I strongly disagree with all of this. You think we'd have less crime if everybody called the police every time they saw somebody they didn't know walking down the street? We'd have more crime because real criminals would be looting Best Buy while the police made sure there were no knives hidden inside those skittles wrappers.

I didn't say that. I said that if more people took more interest in what was going on in their neighborhoods we'd have less crime.

Here's a question: have you ever had somebody follow you in their car because you were walking down the street? Has anybody ever followed you in their car, then stopped, gotten out, and gone after you? Let me tell you that has never, ever happened to me, and the only stories I've heard that include actions like those end in somebody getting mugged or abducted. What ordinary person does what Zimmerman did? Do you follow people and try to apprehend them yourself? That's crazy!

I most certainly have been followed by someone in a car....and right about when I was right around Trayvon's age too. I was out wandering the streets one night and noticed a car behind me. I kept on walking and the car rolled up right next to me. I kept on walking and the guy rolled down the window and asked if I wanted a ride. I said no and kept walking. He then asked if I wanted to meet an older woman. I kept walking but laughed out loud at which point he took off. I never got confrontational and I kept my eyes peeled for doors to knock on or back yards to run through if things got out of hand. I didn't play games with the guy and everything worked out just fine. Trayvon didn't do that and he paid the price.

And you say that not condoning Zimmerman's actions gives criminals a free pass. Had Zimmerman seen somebody climbing through a window at 4 AM, it might make a little more sense to call the police. He saw a teenager walking down the street at 7 PM, and the most suspicious part of it was that he was walking slowly. I have really severe arthritis, so I hope Zimmerman is never in my neighborhood, because I'll surely get a visit from the 5-0 for being "very suspicious."

Since Zimmerman hasn't taken the stand and probably won't the only testimony we have is what he told Serino. According to that testimony Trayvon was standing in a weird place (not on a sidewalk) and looking at a house that was right next to two others that had been broken in to. He wasn't trying to get out of the rain. That struck Zimmerman as weird and I certainly can't fault that kind of thinking.

10-15 out out in five for good behavior...for being a lying SOB.

Lying is not a crime, unless your'e under Oath, and then the punishment for perjury is dependent on whether or not your'e a top Obama administration official or just some schlub lying in a local deposition.

He deserves to be acquitted, and then left alone. He deserves to sue the hell out of the media outlets that convicted him before there was a trial, the same media outlets that should be held responsible for any civil unrest whe he gets set free.

This trial is a reflection of the mental capacity of so many Americans. So easily manipulated, so susceptable to hyperbole and empty charges from a subjective source.

Children. It's the mindset of children. I swear when I see a grown man wearing a Transformer T-Shirt or a Grown Woman with a collection of stuffed toys I'm reminded of the devolving mental capacity of this Country.

To believe Zimmerman is a cold blooded lying murderer that killed a " Beutiful Innocent Angel Child " you would have had to buy into 100% of the Bull Sh** that came out of the media as they posted pics of Martin when he was 12 and pics of Zimmerman when he was dressed in his prison oranges

Back
Top Bottom