• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What does this case say about our society as a whole.......

Oceandan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It is clear this case was brought for one reason. The "race baiters" revved up the issue. SPD did an investigation and filed no charges. Some 44 days later and without using the usual avenue of a grand jury, charges were filed. When Trayvon's mother was asked on the stand, where did you go to hear the 911 call, she answered "the mayor's office". Speaks volumes about the removal of law enforcement.

My question. Does this /will this case make us more likely or less likely to get involved in ANY interaction where race will be brought to the forefront?

It has long been my contention the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jacksons of the world only serve to make things worse. As long as we encourage all non-African-American's to be referred to as "creepy ass crackers" or "white............Hispanics" the issue will not improve. We are all equal. Why do we continue to INSIST we point out the differences?

Personally, the fact this case even went to trial, regardless of the verdict, makes it less likely I would get involved. Like many of the witnesses in this case, I will simply not participate. Will I call law enforcement? Probably. Would I attempt to do anything else? No. That may be completely and utterly wrong, but in my humble opinion it's simply not worth the risk of becoming a target for the spike lee and black panthers of the world.

I've never, nor will I ever, judge a person by the amount of melanin in their epidermis, or lack thereof. This case, however, makes me acutely aware, the amount of melanin in one's epidermis determines if you become a target for those who continue to pass judgement solely based on melanin in one's epidermis.

That there are a lot more closet bigots then I thought.

A great many people are unable to overcome confirmation biases once they have been suckered into them by the media.

That race is still a dividing influence in America.

It is clear this case was brought for one reason. The "race baiters" revved up the issue. SPD did an investigation and filed no charges. Some 44 days later and without using the usual avenue of a grand jury, charges were filed. When Trayvon's mother was asked on the stand, where did you go to hear the 911 call, she answered "the mayor's office". Speaks volumes about the removal of law enforcement.

My question. Does this /will this case make us more likely or less likely to get involved in ANY interaction where race will be brought to the forefront?

It has long been my contention the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jacksons of the world only serve to make things worse. As long as we encourage all non-African-American's to be referred to as "creepy ass crackers" or "white............Hispanics" the issue will not improve. We are all equal. Why do we continue to INSIST we point out the differences?

Personally, the fact this case even went to trial, regardless of the verdict, makes it less likely I would get involved. Like many of the witnesses in this case, I will simply not participate. Will I call law enforcement? Probably. Would I attempt to do anything else? No. That may be completely and utterly wrong, but in my humble opinion it's simply not worth the risk of becoming a target for the spike lee and black panthers of the world.

I've never, nor will I ever, judge a person by the amount of melanin in their epidermis, or lack thereof. This case, however, makes me acutely aware, the amount of melanin in one's epidermis determines if you become a target for those who continue to pass judgement solely based on melanin in one's epidermis.

What does this case say about our society?

Nothing we already didn't know.

Racism is patently stupid and completely lacking in justifiable thought.

However, it is the primary tool of the political party in charge. It is its lifeblood.

Never in my wildest dreams, in the year of our Lord 2013, did I ever think I'd see it so openly and unashamedly wielded by our federal government, our president, and virtually every nook and cranny of the mainstream media.

Race is the only reason this case went to trial. Everything about the trial is an abomination. It speaks so sadly of what our judicial system, and frankly our country, is becoming.

"It has long been my contention the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jacksons and America's first Black POTUS of the world only serve to make things worse."

There.. I fixed if for you. 8)

I would never have done what George Zimmerman did regardless of race. I wouldn't have gotten out of my car.

As for race being a deciding factor as to whether or not I would come to someone's aid or report someone to the police? Absolutely not.

"It has long been my contention the Al Sharpton/Jesse Jacksons and America's first Black POTUS of the world only serve to make things worse."

There.. I fixed if for you. 8)

Although I believe POTUS could have made comments to EASE tensions versus fanning the flames, he's not out there beating the drum in Tawana Brawley like cases.

Please don't say you fixed it for me.

Call it what you wish. But plenty of blame to go round.

I find it funny you have an aversion to assigning blame as a result of a court proceeding designed to determine whether someone should be blamed for something.

It reinforces what a lot of us already knew. The country is still divided not only politically but racially as well. We have people picking sides from the get go. From the highest office to the everday Joe or Jane. That is the sad part. Instead of looking at the facts, it instantly went to race.

In my honest opinion this case had more to do with the Gun issue than race. The baiters used race to get the coverage in order to push the gun issue. It was and still is a hot button issue. This shows me that those who would like to disarm this country will use whatever means available.

Regardless of the verdict this is another black eye for us all!

It reinforces what a lot of us already knew. The country is still divided not only politically but racially as well. We have people picking sides from the get go. From the highest office to the everday Joe or Jane. That is the sad part. Instead of looking at the facts, it instantly went to race.

In my honest opinion this case had more to do with the Gun issue than race. The baiters used race to get the coverage in order to push the gun issue. It was and still is a hot button issue. This shows me that those who would like to disarm this country will use whatever means available.

Well the lesson I learned is , one should be EXTREMELY careful who you decide to go punch in the nose.

Well the lesson I learned is , one should be EXTREMELY careful who you decide to go punch in the nose.

I prefer to just not punch people in the first place. But I might be labelled a crazy wacko for believing in face-punching abstinence, because people say that never works.

I would certainly agree with that. With CCW becoming the law of the land it seems more civil means of handling confrontation should prevail.

Yeah I try to refrain from it a much as possible myself.

I find it funny you have an aversion to assigning blame as a result of a court proceeding designed to determine whether someone should be blamed for something.

Depends on what we're talking about. "What it says about our society" or whether the merits of the case are cause-based or trumped up for political / racially motivated reasons, which is not very clear. From what little I've read, the Prosecution has a couple of witnesses that support what they're charging Zimmerman with. And that's enough to send any of us to trial. So what can we make of it? Maybe the delay in charging Zimmerman was to appease the Black Community that was up in arms. Or maybe the cops were slow in bringing evidence up which lead to the indictment, due to their racial bias. Who knows?

But for every white person who thinks Zimmerman is prima facie innocent, there's a Black Person who believe to his/her core that if it was a Black Guy who shot and killed an unarmed person, they'd have been arrested on the spot, interrogated for hours, and charged by the next morning if not sooner. And I suspect they (Blacks) might be right.

TBH, I'm shocked so many "adults" would encourage punching someone in the face is the preferred action if someone is "following" you and you're scared/aggravated/mad.

Depends on what we're talking about. "What it says about our society" or whether the merits of the case are cause-based or trumped up for political / racially motivated reasons, which is not very clear. From what little I've read, the Prosecution has a couple of witnesses that support what they're charging Zimmerman with. And that's enough to send any of us to trial. So what can we make of it? Maybe the delay in charging Zimmerman was to appease the Black Community that was up in arms. Or maybe the cops were slow in bringing evidence up which lead to the indictment, due to their racial bias. Who knows?

But for every white person who thinks Zimmerman is prima facie innocent, there's a Black Person who believe to his/her core that if it was a Black Guy who shot and killed an unarmed person, they'd have been arrested on the spot, interrogated for hours, and charged by the next morning if not sooner. And I suspect they (Blacks) might be right.

Look no further than Chicago for your delusion to end on this one.

[U]In my honest opinion this case had more to do with the Gun issue than race. [/U]The baiters used race to get the coverage in order to push the gun issue. It was and still is a hot button issue. This shows me that those who would like to disarm this country will use whatever means available.

I dont't agree with the line in bold. Al Sharpton DOES NOT get involved and start trouble with cases w/guns. He focuses all his time with people who are BLACK. Not black people involved w/ black people....or white people involved w/ white people. NO...... only black people involved with white people. Do you seriously think Sharpton and his crew would have been involved if GZ was black and TM was white???????????? :roll:

Look no further than Chicago for your delusion to end on this one.

Actually, focusing on only one city, which you think supports your dogma, is the epitome of delusional thinking.

Back
Top Bottom