• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What does religion spread more of love or hate?

My opinion....................Religion is based on Ego (fear) therefore it can offer nothing but hate..... Why?....
Our savage behavior is based on ignorance. I have had experienced ( encountered ) God He is love as Budda and and Jesus and Rumii point him out ( he was me!, you!). He was nothing like the personage Muhamad discloses of God ( God of Muhamad and Moses is Ego, what a forceful evil God). He does not threaten. kill or disturb you but you do it to yourself and he is waiting patiently until you give up your wrong way and join him with all your heart. Since he is love, he never threaten and he does not need to threaten and he does not aprove it because he is not pain and because all is him and nothing is out of him. You can not harm God but yourself because there is only one mind. Let every one be and grow at their own pace , just bless them no matter what they believe. All religions are based on fear ( evil, opposite of love) and therefore ego related for control of one man by other man. We need to grow and leave the religion behind and become like Budda and Jesus. I believe that day will come. Because, although I failed twice but... I have been there.

guns_God_glory said:
It's not the religion itself that spreads hate. It's the enforcing it upon others who don't believe like you do that causes hate. I don't care what religion you are, if you believe in God it is good enough for me. All you Christians out there the bible states that Jews and Gentiles should be brothers. Meaning that you should accept other religions as long as they believe in God as their Saviour. Their perspective of God and practices are indifferent.

I agree with your second sentence. However, I do feel that organized religion does more than just that.

I'm currently reading the Bible, and I have found that there are a few sentences in the Bible that speak of foul things. It's hard to know which ones to take literally: the ones speaking of love and brotherhood, or the ones speaking of death and war. Too often I've found contradicting statements in the book.

I have given organized religion a chance. I have gone to church, I have attended the youth group meetings, I have listened to many a sermons. I am most certainly not accusing your religion of this, but I have found that in these churches that I tried out (yes, I did try more than one) so many of them taught intolerance. Intolerance to other religions. Intolerance to non-believers. Intolerance to those who asked too many questions. Intolerance to those who were different. One church that my friend used to go to used the money from the collection plate to "tear down a Buddhist temple" in another country. To me, intolerance is the first step to hate. So in my experience, organized religion has spread more hate than anything.

I think it's awesome that you believe in accepting others from all religions. But do you accept those who do not have a religion, or those who are questioning it?

loverofpeace said:
I agree with your second sentence. However, I do feel that organized religion does more than just that.

I'm currently reading the Bible, and I have found that there are a few sentences in the Bible that speak of foul things. It's hard to know which ones to take literally: the ones speaking of love and brotherhood, or the ones speaking of death and war. Too often I've found contradicting statements in the book.

I have given organized religion a chance. I have gone to church, I have attended the youth group meetings, I have listened to many a sermons. I am most certainly not accusing your religion of this, but I have found that in these churches that I tried out (yes, I did try more than one) so many of them taught intolerance. Intolerance to other religions. Intolerance to non-believers. Intolerance to those who asked too many questions. Intolerance to those who were different. One church that my friend used to go to used the money from the collection plate to "tear down a Buddhist temple" in another country. To me, intolerance is the first step to hate. So in my experience, organized religion has spread more hate than anything.

I think it's awesome that you believe in accepting others from all religions. But do you accept those who do not have a religion, or those who are questioning it?

I know what you mean. The Bible does have some contradictory statements. I think this has alot to do with all the translations it has undergone. There is also a problem with people using the literal meaning of a word when the word is not meant literally.
On the second thing. I think that Christianity teaches more of patience then intolerance. I know there are some people who make it there responsiblity to do God's will (The Budhist temple story), and that is what is corrupting the church. Above everything else Jesus taught peace and peace needs to be in mind in relationships between religions.
It is alot harder to be tolerant of those with no religion but these are the people who need the most help and peace and patience should be a top priority in this situation also.
People who question my religion i find a whole lot easier to deal with. Questioning my religion is more a sign of curiosity than hostility.

guns_God_glory said:
I know what you mean. The Bible does have some contradictory statements. I think this has alot to do with all the translations it has undergone. There is also a problem with people using the literal meaning of a word when the word is not meant literally.
On the second thing. I think that Christianity teaches more of patience then intolerance. I know there are some people who make it there responsiblity to do God's will (The Budhist temple story), and that is what is corrupting the church. Above everything else Jesus taught peace and peace needs to be in mind in relationships between religions.
It is alot harder to be tolerant of those with no religion but these are the people who need the most help and peace and patience should be a top priority in this situation also.
People who question my religion i find a whole lot easier to deal with. Questioning my religion is more a sign of curiosity than hostility.

I have heard a lot of people tell me that the reason the Bible is contradictory is because of all the translations. Well then, which statement do you use? The first one? Or the one that contradicts it? Also, how can you tell which words are meant literally and which ones are not? Do you pick and choose until you find something you like?

You seem like a nice person, so I don't want to misunderstand you. Are you saying that knocking down a Buddhist's temple would be god's will? Or are you saying that people misinterpret that to be his will so they just go out and do it? Because I would say that knocking down a temple of another religion is not peace. And I have personally found the Buddhists to be the most peacful religion yet.

I'm glad that you're open to questions. Have you ever questioned your religion?

loverofpeace said:
I have heard a lot of people tell me that the reason the Bible is contradictory is because of all the translations. Well then, which statement do you use? The first one? Or the one that contradicts it? Also, how can you tell which words are meant literally and which ones are not? Do you pick and choose until you find something you like?

You seem like a nice person, so I don't want to misunderstand you. Are you saying that knocking down a Buddhist's temple would be god's will? Or are you saying that people misinterpret that to be his will so they just go out and do it? Because I would say that knocking down a temple of another religion is not peace. And I have personally found the Buddhists to be the most peacful religion yet.

I'm glad that you're open to questions. Have you ever questioned your religion?

It is really confusing when the bible gives a contradictory message because you don't know which one to follow. I have no response to that, I have that same exact problem. Now to the buddist temple thing. I think that denominations are what causes the hate because they think that there religion is the only correct one. I think if you worship God your are in the right religion. Jewish, Christians, Baptist, Buddhist, ect all have the same the same concept and have the same morals. The only thing different is the way the precieve and worship God.
Yes i have questioned my faith before. When i was about 14 i had an extreme lack of faith. My family had just moved from Oklahoma, which was full of middle class christians as far as the eye can see,to Ohio. I really couldn't find a church a liked and most of the people i hung out with weren't christian. After i started looking more into science i saw that science didn't really have anything to prove God didn't exist. I started to hang out with other people and they told me about a church about 30 minutes from my house and tada here I am today.

Urethra Franklin said:
I am also an ex-christian, liberated from the chains of my upbringing.
People believe because they are caught young, indoctrinated early. Brainwashed.

Many in later life learn to think for themselves.

And yes, religion spreads spiteful hate.

Brainwashed! :shock: I think that many people drive it on to hard but really you don't need to do all of thoose things if god is truly as great as he said to be. Religion may bring hate only because people like other people to think the same way as they do but it is the same with politics and many other things. The true message is the golden rule and the ten commandments and that is all you must do stay a good person and get into heaven. :mrgreen:

CanadianGuy said:
The true message is the golden rule and the ten commandments and that is all you must do stay a good person and get into heaven. :mrgreen:
Actually, according to the Christian Bible, that's incorrect. One must accept Jesus into their heart as their savior to get to heaven.

shuamort said:
Actually, according to the Christian Bible, that's incorrect. One must accept Jesus into their heart as their savior to get to heaven.

Well ok ad one thing, that you should already believe if your christien.

guns_God_glory said:
It is really confusing when the bible gives a contradictory message because you don't know which one to follow. I have no response to that, I have that same exact problem. Now to the buddist temple thing. I think that denominations are what causes the hate because they think that there religion is the only correct one. I think if you worship God your are in the right religion. Jewish, Christians, Baptist, Buddhist, ect all have the same the same concept and have the same morals. The only thing different is the way the precieve and worship God.
Yes i have questioned my faith before. When i was about 14 i had an extreme lack of faith. My family had just moved from Oklahoma, which was full of middle class christians as far as the eye can see,to Ohio. I really couldn't find a church a liked and most of the people i hung out with weren't christian. After i started looking more into science i saw that science didn't really have anything to prove God didn't exist. I started to hang out with other people and they told me about a church about 30 minutes from my house and tada here I am today.

I agree with you that denominations cause the hate because they think they're the only right one. However, I don't think it's necessary that you believe in god. People can have morals without religion. People can be ethical without religion. People can be spiritual without religion.

Interesting story. Best wishes to you as you try to understand the Bible!

Religion is about tribalism. Man & pre homo sapiens hominids were/are a tribalistic pack animal. This instinct evolved since we hunted & scavenged for food in groups & the species benefitted from a social existence. Of course this is a double edged sword becuase tribal communities competing with each other for land & food would then find themselves at war with each other.
As the hominid frontal lobe evolved to be larger things got more complex & all sorts of fantasy, beliefs & religious imagery became involved as a binding force within the tribe. Speaking of modern times... the last 2000 years...there are tribes based on good as in Christianity, Islam, etc & there are tribes based on evil.. Nazism etc.
There bad apples in Christianity & Islam who get the whole thing a bad name whereas Nazism thrived on bad apples.
The idea of separate religious communities is divisive. I agree with John Lennon's song 'Imagine. Best if we all 'live as one' & cut out the tribalistic nonsense.

Last edited:
guns_God_glory said:
Poor you. You have nothing to believe in. You think that logic can explain it all. One day you'll find out your wrong.

This is what troubles me the most. The ignorance of most christians. A person is automatically "wrong" if he/she doesn't share your beliefs. There you go, you just contradicted yourself. Throughout the thread, most believers have repeatedly said, "oh i don't try to inforce my belief on others.." blah blah....but you just did by calling someone "wrong"!!

I know, it's a good feeling to know that someone up there is watching over you and is on your side, and when something goes wrong, you can count on that all-powerful person up there to make it allright. That's why so many people follow some sort of religion, to use it as a therapy when something goes astray.

But the point is, some people don't NEED faith. They rely on logic and their confidence in themselves to get through hard times..just like religious people rely on a "god" that they've never seen, and a piece of document that basically is full of "thou shall nots"(hence christianity limits people in so many ways). Tell me who's the fool here?

As a christian, you have been taught that homosexuality is WRONG. And that would lead you to disagree with many people's lifestyles. And because Christianity is a missionary religion, you are told that it's your job to spread the word of christ and try to convert other people. Therefore, you try to tell people that they are wrong. Wouldn't that spread hate? :roll: I think this answer the question: "What does religion spread more of love or hate?"

Ask not whether religion spreads more love or hate.
Ask why it spreads in the first place.
Reason... it's analogous to a virus.
It's virus of the mind.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”

- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Nemo said:
“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”

- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
How true !

Religion is full of stuff of little sustenance - you cannot dine on it - and too much of it will make one sick in spirit.

Nemo said:
Religion is full of stuff of little sustenance - you cannot dine on it - and too much of it will make one sick in spirit.

Yeah the morals and values it teaches stuff of little substance. You can believe whatever you want but mankind could not go on without religion.

guns_God_glory said:
Yeah the morals and values it teaches stuff of little substance. You can believe whatever you want but mankind could not go on without religion.

Please explain why.

guns_God_glory said:

I would say that the values and ethical guidelines that are preached by many a religion are substanceless because the rationalisation for these moral values are founded in the will of a "supreme being" whose legitimacy to any of the many diverse religions (per se) and very existence is questionable and unproven.

I would also disagree with you that mankind would not be able to function in the absence of religion. There are many atheists, agnostics or even theists who prescribe to a personal ideology that live fruitfully without religion playing any role in their fulfillment.

May I ask any of you when the last time you actually went to a church service was? Because I have never sat through a sermon where the message even hinted at the judgement of others. In fact, the reoccuring message is always how you can better your own personal walk with God and how His love has bought your sins. If anyone in the forum can give me a tale in which their own pastor has specifically insited hate or violence I would love for you to bring this forward.

N.Lmn said:
I would say that the values and ethical guidelines that are preached by many a religion are substanceless because the rationalisation for these moral values are founded in the will of a "supreme being" whose legitimacy to any of the many diverse religions (per se) and very existence is questionable and unproven.

So because you believe our God doesn't exist that makes the teaching of Jesus substanceless?

guns_God_glory said:
So because you believe our God doesn't exist that makes the teaching of Jesus substanceless?

My point was that the teachings of religion lack substance because instead of being founded in and informed by analytical thought of social necessity, dogma is based upon the potentially nonexistant will of a potentially nonexistant deity. Entire lives are shaped on religious premises that are logically ignorant.

N.Lmn said:
My point was that the teachings of religion lack substance because instead of being founded in and informed by analytical thought of social necessity, dogma is based upon the potentially nonexistant will of a potentially nonexistant deity. Entire lives are shaped on religious premises that are logically ignorant.
logic hmm? May ask you something, is everything you do based on logic?

ghost said:
logic hmm? May ask you something, is everything you do based on logic?

No. What's your point?

Back
Top Bottom