• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What does being a *neighbor* have to do with the ethics of invading another country?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What does being a *neighbor* have to do with the ethics of invading another country?

Legally, nothing. Politically, powerful countries are given recognition for 'spheres of influence' with neighbors - the US made it quite clear with the "Monroe Doctrine" from founding father James Monroe that no European power would be permitted to colonize or have power over countries in the Americas. The Soviet Union was allowed a ring of 'buffer' territories after WWII, including Ukraine. This is a coming conflict as China gets more power and will want to displace US influence in Asia with Chinese power.

Neighboring nations oftentimes share many customs and commonalities.

Russians are shocked that their government is waging war on their Slavic brethern in neighboring Ukraine.

Russians are shocked that their government is waging war on their Slavic brethern in neighboring Ukraine.
Some are. 75%, though, approve of the war as needed, accepting Putin's propaganda where 90% of media is controlled by Putin.

To me, it would have nothing to do with ethics. Most of us have lived, at some time with shitty neighbors, and of course, lived by great people/neighbors.
Look at the USA. Washington state is by Idaho, but New Hamshire by Vermont. Unlike many years ago, when countries found it easy to raid their next-door neighbors, Countries can now wage war thousands of miles on their so-called enemies.
Personally, countries don't actually go to war against their fellow neighbors...it's just the asshole-leaders that start that crap.
What kind of disgusting leader thinks that they speak for 100 million people? The answer is they have to find the means to program the populace first.

Legally, nothing. Politically, powerful countries are given recognition for 'spheres of influence' with neighbors - the US made it quite clear with the "Monroe Doctrine" from founding father James Monroe that no European power would be permitted to colonize or have power over countries in the Americas. The Soviet Union was allowed a ring of 'buffer' territories after WWII, including Ukraine. This is a coming conflict as China gets more power and will want to displace US influence in Asia with Chinese power.
This would be the perfect opportunity to bring all USA manufacturing back to America and quit providing
financial gain for China......... = putting American middle class back in control.

This would be the perfect opportunity to bring all USA manufacturing back to America and quit providing
financial gain for China......... = putting American middle class back in control.
I agree - the US is mostly oblivious to the huge danger China's government poses.

Just built in countries with better governments is important, as well as bringing some back to the US, where people will need to pay more and it's worth it.

It has been said that war is armed robbery writ large. That is as clear a statement of ethics as any you are likely to find.

Trump's foreign policy team was good at defusing pressured situations before they became dangerous. The common term is proactive. Biden's team is reactive if not outright oblivious.

I agree - the US is mostly oblivious to the huge danger China's government poses.
I would not go that far. The Trump administration dragged China's aggression into the international spotlight.

Just built in countries with better governments is important, as well as bringing some back to the US, where people will need to pay more and it's worth it.
Tell that to iPhone users.

It seems that your commentary has shifted, in the months I wasn't here. It seems you're significantly more gung ho on China and Russia being enemies.

The US thinks its rightful sphere of influence is Earth and beyond. It's not. That's much of the problems.

Could you expound upon that?

Invading a country is invading a country. Proximity is irrelevant. It seems that many people are trying to make it sound worse by saying it's a neighbor.

If its a neighbor country you're invading, you should have least have the common courtesy to hold a set of their keys for them in case they lock themselves out...and also maybe offer to check their mail and keep an eye on their place when they go out of town. Its only right imo. (y)

Invading a country is invading a country. Proximity is irrelevant. It seems that many people are trying to make it sound worse by saying it's a neighbor.
I have to admit that I too have felt like attacking some neighbors over the years.

It seems that your commentary has shifted, in the months I wasn't here. It seems you're significantly more gung ho on China and Russia being enemies.

The US thinks its rightful sphere of influence is Earth and beyond. It's not. That's much of the problems.
You're correct in your observation. Recently I've become more informed about some things about China's government in particular that make me greatly more appreciate the threat they pose to the planet.

Nothing has changed about my pros and cons about the US, including the problems you mention, but I have come to appreciate how critical it is that the US has power rather than the authoritarian regimes, while at the same time we need to fix problems with the US so it's not oppressive itself.

I've found a very informative commentator who has a great amount of information about Chins worth seeing. In hundreds of hours of good content, I haven't even seen the videos I'll link below yet, but from the titles I can tell you might find them informative about the problem I mentioned.

I have to admit that I too have felt like attacking some neighbors over the years.
My next door neighbors have a car with an extremely loud engine - the drag racer type volume - just outside my bedroom window they run for about five minutes every morning at 5AM.

So when the US invaded Nazi-occupied France that was the same as when the Nazis invaded France?

My next door neighbors have a car with an extremely loud engine - the drag racer type volume - just outside my bedroom window they run for about five minutes every morning at 5AM.

It sounds like they're not happy with you. Do they drive it on the street? Is it an antique car that's hot rodded?

It sounds like they're not happy with you. Do they drive it on the street? Is it an antique car that's hot rodded?
Not the case. It seems like they go to work at that hour and I presume they have an idea that 'warming up' the engine is a good idea. It was just a 'sports car', not sure which one.

Iti s not just "being a neighbor" in this case. Ukraine is a former Russian province that became sovereign after the Cold War in 1992, along with Belarus, Lenovo, and Georgia. Putin is trying to get Ukraine back.

Obviously nothing is ethical about doing this, since Ukraine seceded to become a democracy with its own government.

It seems that your commentary has shifted, in the months I wasn't here.
Let me know if you watch the videos in post 14 and your reaction.

Some are. 75%, though, approve of the war as needed, accepting Putin's propaganda where 90% of media is controlled by Putin.
Do 75% of Russians approve or does Putin's propaganda tell you 75% approve?

Iti s not just "being a neighbor" in this case. Ukraine is a former Russian province that became sovereign after the Cold War in 1992, along with Belarus, Lenovo, and Georgia. Putin is trying to get Ukraine back.
There is some amount of analogy between Lincoln's invading the southern states to reclaim them, and Putin's desire to invade former Soviet states to reclaim them. The confederacy felt a lot like Ukraine feels. We do need to explain the difference why independence is right in some situations and not others and recognize how there's some gray area - while we strongly condemn Putin's war and support Ukranian independence.

There is some amount of analogy between Lincoln's invading the southern states to reclaim them, and Putin's desire to invade former Soviet states to reclaim them. The confederacy felt a lot like Ukraine feels. We do need to explain the difference why independence is right in some situations and not others and recognize how there's some gray area - while we strongly condemn Putin's war and support Ukranian independence.

The comparisons end there. Ukraine wanted a new government system. The Confederacy was founded on racism.

The comparisons end there. Ukraine wanted a new government system. The Confederacy was founded on racism.
No, it wasn't. The confederacy HAD racism. (For that matter, the north had almost as much racism, but no slavery). What it was about, was their wanting to be independent of the rest of the US and have their own government. Whether it was abolitionist or pro-slave or unrelated to race as irrelevant to that being the basic issue.

Let me know if you watch the videos in post 14 and your reaction.

I just watched up to 3:10 of the "Stop THINKING The USA is WORSE Than CHINA!!!" video and I stopped because he just said "America has a transparent society."

Earlier, I watched up to 5:59 of "China wants WAR and is preparing Chinese people a fight against the USA!" and I stopped watching. The title alone is very one-sided, seeing as the USG has China surrounded and has nuclear weapons at the ready. The part about China saying the US is waging biological war isn't correct (as far as I know), if that's what the Chinese document really says.

I don't know what these guys' deal is, but it seems like there's a hidden agenda and the videos seem quite propagandist. I'll try watching a little more, tonight, but I'm thinking I'd rather get political analysis from more reputable sources.

Back
Top Bottom