• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What does BC stand for?

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Today I was doing some studying on my Humanities class. A light bulb lit on top of my head.
Scultures from 30,000 B.C. ...

With the growing trend of removing references of Christianity in our history ... will they try to recreate or rename the current dating system as well?

Anno Domini Nostri Jesu Christi = AD "in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ"

Ante Christum Natum = BC "Before Christ"

Actually, I think they are... I was watching something on the History channel the other night and they kept giving dates as 512 C.E. They finally explained that C.E. = Current Epoc.

On the other hand, they aren't changing the numbering (i.e., 2004 AD = 2004 C.E.). We can still ask the question of what determined the start of our numbering? What happened 2004 years ago?

At what point do we stop trying to be politically correct? Who decides what is offensive? And to whom? I find it hard to believe that if I were a Buddhist I would choose to make issue over how the calendar dates are calculated. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know I'm not a Buddhist.

In this same vain, I saw something earlier on CNN where a town, somewhere, don't remember where, they were arguing over removing Christmas signs becasue they said "Merry Christmas." Seems some people on the city council wanted them replaced with "Happy Holidays." Didn't like the term "Christmas." I'm sorry I think there's a point to where we've taken one gaint leap into crazy town. This is really the most pressing thing these people could discuss? This was the biggest problem in their town? This was even a problem? And if they suceeded in redoing the signs- what would that have cost? And who would've paid for it?

Pacridge said:
At what point do we stop trying to be politically correct? Who decides what is offensive? And to whom? I find it hard to believe that if I were a Buddhist I would choose to make issue over how the calendar dates are calculated. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know I'm not a Buddhist.

Those are good questions. I don't try to be politically correct all the time. I am happy with using B.C., and if someone is offended by Before Christ or Merry Christmas, they should really consider finding something more productive to put that energy towards, rather than nagging those of us who really don't care. Sorry if that's not politically correct. Wait, no I'm not.

This thread was supposed to be an attempt at humor, but it's ****ing real?

:damn

I think it would be impossible to change our date system, especially considering that it's been around for thousands of years, covering that much history. War of 1812, the Declaration in July 4, 1776 (oh wait, we can't teach that in schools, so no big deal).

Besides, is there a better person or event to base our date system on?

IronTongue said:
...is there a better person or event to base our date system on?

Well, we could adopt the evolution calendar... So, it's something like the year 40,312,225...

But, it seems that whatever person or event one would choose someone would be offended. So, we could just do away with dates altogether...

Hey, Vague!!! I'm laughing!!! Your sarcastic responses are too funny, people.

IronTongue said:
I think it would be impossible to change our date system, especially considering that it's been around for thousands of years, covering that much history. War of 1812, the Declaration in July 4, 1776 (oh wait, we can't teach that in schools, so no big deal).

Besides, is there a better person or event to base our date system on?

Well, if we observed the Jewish Calendar, we would be coming up on the year 5765. The Chinese are about to celebrate 4605. If we had been using one or the other, we wouldn't have been fleeced by that big Y2K scam a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom