• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of this?

Ya, I can see your point... but I tend to think there are a lot more people with ill intent than would otherwise have this knowledge. Follow me? Both companies could have emailed their customers just as easily and let them know what was up.

So what do you think the lag time will be between tens of thousands of, at best mischievous, at worst malicious, persons having this information and the car companies actually getting a fix designed and then distributed to the customers?

So now we'll have a nation full of neurotic soccer moms freaking out at every little "strange thing" their Ford is doing... or not doing...

Nope, this was a "get the spotlight" moment. Careers in hacking are made on this stuff. It was self promotion and undeserved self aggrandizement. imho

Yes, undeserved. All they really did was demonstrate the degree to which any modern car's computers control the car. If there was a "hack" involved it had to do with intercepting/altering the messaging in the car that would normally disallow these anomalous behaviors. Certainly, there is more that could be done to filter problematic message data, but many precautions already are taken in the car's software in its normal operating mode. However, certain diagostic and test mode code may remain in the software, only to be enabled by special messaging. I suspect that a lot of what was seen in this demo was accomplished by invoking such code. The real hack, though, would be in hacking the Onstar, or other, link to allow this "control" remotely.

Yes, undeserved. All they really did was demonstrate the degree to which any modern car's computers control the car. If there was a "hack" involved it had to do with intercepting/altering the messaging in the car that would normally disallow these anomalous behaviors. Certainly, there is more that could be done to filter problematic message data, but many precautions already are taken in the car's software in its normal operating mode. However, certain diagostic and test mode code may remain in the software, only to be enabled by special messaging. I suspect that a lot of what was seen in this demo was accomplished by invoking such code. The real hack, though, would be in hacking the Onstar, or other, link to allow this "control" remotely.[/QUOTE]

Funny... that's exactly why I'm still here squabbling... I made that exact statement.

Yes, undeserved. All they really did was demonstrate the degree to which any modern car's computers control the car. If there was a "hack" involved it had to do with intercepting/altering the messaging in the car that would normally disallow these anomalous behaviors. Certainly, there is more that could be done to filter problematic message data, but many precautions already are taken in the car's software in its normal operating mode. However, certain diagostic and test mode code may remain in the software, only to be enabled by special messaging. I suspect that a lot of what was seen in this demo was accomplished by invoking such code. The real hack, though, would be in hacking the Onstar, or other, link to allow this "control" remotely.[/QUOTE]

Funny... that's exactly why I'm still here squabbling... I made that exact statement.

Really...that exact statement? Pardon my incredulity, but I assure you I had no intention of plagiarising you. I know you said you thought someone would soon perform the feat "wirelessly". I suppose I now have to disagree more openly: I don't believe it will be a simple matter to hack the onstar link. And if someone were to do so, he'd be ill-advised to advertise that fact. A famous hacker turned up dead a week before this year's black hat convention where he was slated to give a presentation of his technique for hacking biotech devices, like pacemakers. A curious coincidence? Depends on which wonderland you live in, I guess, eh? I would be extremely surprised if anyone demonstrated remote control of an operating automobile!

So they have to actually be in the car in order for the hacks to work? What kind of people would do this?
Well, the device that they use to give command to the car would have to be hardwired into the system somewhere. That's not the same as the person having to be there. Just need a wireless way to access the device you have planted. A cel phone doesn't sound like it would be out of the real of possibility. Attached the console to the car. Attach the wireless device, [e.g. a cel phone or radio device], to the console. Contact the wireless device wirelessly to xmit the commands to the wireless device inside the car. the wireless device inside the car sends the commands to the controller. The controller sends the command to the car.

Oh noes! I just got car-hacked! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Airplanes, for the most part, are controlled by computer and they have a lower accident rate than cars.

Maybe people in cars is idiotic.
I'd considered that, Sangha.

I'll only say that, given the possibility of a collision, I'd sooner take my chances with a cloud than a 12-wheeler.

Yes, undeserved. All they really did was demonstrate the degree to which any modern car's computers control the car. If there was a "hack" involved it had to do with intercepting/altering the messaging in the car that would normally disallow these anomalous behaviors. Certainly, there is more that could be done to filter problematic message data, but many precautions already are taken in the car's software in its normal operating mode. However, certain diagostic and test mode code may remain in the software, only to be enabled by special messaging. I suspect that a lot of what was seen in this demo was accomplished by invoking such code. The real hack, though, would be in hacking the Onstar, or other, link to allow this "control" remotely.
Dude, your avatar is horrendous.

I could happily go the rest of my life without ever seeing it again.

Back
Top Bottom