• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

Also known as the Civil War.

You're going to lose a second time, only this time there won't be any mercy like there was last time.

ConfederateBURN.png

That the better side won, and the better general.
I don't know if the Union's generals were better-what the Union had, was a massive advantage in manufacturing. Many of the rebels were barefoot and as a result, suffered from hookworm. Their rations were worse and several years of marching with hookworm and bad nutrition was extremely deleterious. The union also had a massive advantage in numbers of men-and more importantly ships-and the blockade of an enemy that had almost no arms manufacturing, was telling. The Union was producing massive quantities of gun powder, bullets, boots, rifles (including the vastly superior repeating Spencer carbines and the henry rifles) and cannons.

The war of rebellion where the slavers lost? I resent the fact that the rebels fired on an American military facility commanded by one of my ancestors. The rebels lost, get over it?
Don't pout.

Well, I think that a wiser President than Mr. Lincoln would have let the South leave.

1. This would have saved the lives of more than 600,000 young men.

2. Probably the South would have eventually asked to return.

3. There would have eventually been a peaceful dissolution of slavery, for the anti-slavery movement was gaining traction throughout the world -- led by the British.

4. The newly freed slaves would have been gradually introduced into general society. Instead, Reconstruction was a shock to Southern Caucasian people and gave them the incentive to establish a system of separation that lasted until the 1960s.

5. Another President might have been able to work harmoniously with the South in setting a timetable for the abolition of slavery.

Well, I think that a wiser President than Mr. Lincoln would have let the South leave.

1. This would have saved the lives of more than 600,000 young men.

2. Probably the South would have eventually asked to return.

3. There would have eventually been a peaceful dissolution of slavery, for the anti-slavery movement was gaining traction throughout the world -- led by the British.

4. The newly freed slaves would have been gradually introduced into general society. Instead, Reconstruction was a shock to Southern Caucasian people and gave them the incentive to establish a system of separation that lasted until the 1960s.

5. Another President might have been able to work harmoniously with the South in setting a timetable for the abolition of slavery.
The South was willing to engage in a destructive war that laid waste to its economy, its cities, and hundreds of thousands of people, all to preserve slavery. It’s safe to say slavery wasn’t going away any time soon. And even then, try to imagine what civil liberties for black people would look like in a South that was allowed to go its separate way. It’s a legitimate question to also wonder how soon women would have gotten the right to vote too, but it’s safe to say it would have seriously lagged behind the North in that respect as well.

I have beloved relatives in both the north and the south, and it saddens me to think of them taking sides and killing each other. Yet, that's exactly what happened 160 years ago.

It was the worst time in our history, and it should never, ever happen again.

I take it that you are not looking for a very long career on debate Politics?

I was going to say that he might be a "false flag," but considering his avatar, that would have been corny. :)

(Just playing around, Noah. Welcome to the board!)

The South was willing to engage in a destructive war that laid waste to its economy, its cities, and hundreds of thousands of people, all to preserve slavery. It’s safe to say slavery wasn’t going away any time soon. And even then, try to imagine what civil liberties for black people would look like in a South that was allowed to go its separate way. It’s a legitimate question to also wonder how soon women would have gotten the right to vote too, but it’s safe to say it would have seriously lagged behind the North in that respect as well.

One of the reasons - the many reasons - the South was willing to engage in such a war is because economic inequality was atrocious in the South. It wasn't the planters and the agrarian elite who were fighting the war. This is why a society based on racial supremacy was so important for Southerners: if you were poor and white, you were still better than the most erudite 'n-----'. And that sense needing to defend white supremacy was why the Reconstruction era and post-Civil War era was so violent. The South lost slavery but they won their racial apartheid for another century.

The USA was right to free the slaves. They were wrong to then occupy and force the sovereign confederate people to be citizens of the USA.

The topic is far more complex than that and how its boiled down to just slavery. It was ultimately about power, economics, and liberty (for whites).

Back
Top Bottom