• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the Mel Gibson rants?

What do you think of the Mel Gibson rants?

• It's his private life and should remain so, although I listened

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the guy is mentally ill

there is a fine line between genius and madness and when alcohol is involved that line becomes even more blurred.

THe man is a genius, the man is a boor. Then again perhaps the greatest chess master in known history was crazier than a tree full of rabid coons.

seems a common problem

I just think he's a deeply disturbed/mentally ill individual. Half schizophrenic. Probably aggravated/given unfortunate 'direction' in his views by his bigoted/Paleo father. He should be on antipsychotic drugs, not alcohol.

Last edited:
If Mel had been on anti-psychotics, would he have produced such artistic works?

What about Edison or Einstein? Doesn't imbalance go hand and hand with great creative potential?

No - he wouldn't have. Some people need their insanity to be creative.

Gregg Allman, Bob Weir, among others were constantly stoned during their greatest productivity.

If Mel had been on anti-psychotics, would he have produced such artistic works?
Probably not.
Neither would Van Gogh have.
Not that Gibson's acting is on a par with the latter's painting.

What about Edison or Einstein? Doesn't imbalance go hand and hand with great creative potential?
I think they may trend together but certainly not be cause-and-effect.
There are many Better actors who aren't raging lunatics. At least as actors go.

I don't think his brilliance is in his acting.

Probably not.
Neither would Van Gogh have.
Not that Gibson's acting is on a par with the latter's painting.

I think they may trend together but certainly not be cause-and-effect.
There are many Better actors who aren't raging lunatics. At least as actors go.

Well - as far as we know some other 'better' actors aren't raging lunatics.

the ones that come out of the woodwork do so suddenly - rather than slowly . . . up until a few weeks ago most people had no clue he was like that.

I know the only times in my life when I have been significantly creative were when I was deeply clinically depressed. Being analytical and left-brained seems to inhibit creative expression, and my tendency to see things in a rational and objective manner definitely does this.

I know the only times in my life when I have been significantly creative were when I was deeply clinically depressed. Being analytical and left-brained seems to inhibit creative expression, and my tendency to see things in a rational and objective manner definitely does this.

Henry rollins said it best when he said that "when you're depressed you just feel so free . . . so unconcerned. It's great."

I was never a huge Mel Gibson fan, so my opinion of his work won't be changing. After listening to the recordings, I think it's clear that he either is a raving lunatic with serious anger issues or he has a serious drinking problem. I also think it's quite obvious that he has always harbored these racist and sexist views. I'm a firm believer in the phrase "in vino veritas" (in wine [there is] truth). I don't think he suddenly adopted these negative views. If he is drunk in these recordings, which he very well could be, he is only speaking out what he truly believes. However, that wasn't the part that disturbed me the most. I think that the death threats were the most appalling.

As for the argument about women getting hit, I don't think anyone is arguing it from that angle. There is no evidence to suggest that he hit her out of self defense. On one of the calls she accused him of striking her while she was carrying a baby. Not only did he not deny these things, but he mocked her. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for that, in my opinion. He also knocked a couple of her teeth out, according to her. Whether or not there is levity to these charges, I think it's rather clear from these calls that he is a very abusive person (perhaps not when he's sober, if he was in fact drunk).

Regardless of all of this, I don't think he will be able to crawl out of this one unscathed. He has already used his celebrity "get out of jail free" card when he went on the anti-semitic rant when he was pulled over for drunk driving (which also backs up the possibility that he has a drinking problem and was inebriated during the phone calls).

This is all entertaining to me.

Especially seeing I never liked him in the first place.

Just want to find out the varying positions on this highly politically important subject. ;)

Edit: here are the the rants at the following site

RadarOnline.com

How are his comments Politically Important?
He is simply a human being, who has been given huge dollops of money, yet thinks he has the right to say and act any way he deems fit without being inconvenienced by criticism from anyone.

How are his comments Politically Important?
He is simply a human being, who has been given huge dollops of money, yet thinks he has the right to say and act any way he deems fit without being inconvenienced by criticism from anyone.

See the *wink* smiley? It's placed there to convey the fact that the preceding statement was not to be taken totally seriously.

Example:

"Just want to find out the varying positions on this highly politically important subject"---totally serious

"Just want to find out the varying positions on this highly politically important subject ;)"---winking smiley added which indicates to take all or part of preceding sentence less than seriously.

I hope he drops dead:(

There's some serious and valid speculation that the tapes may be doctored. Their authenticities are being put into question.

I hope not. It's refreshing for a man to show his true feelings. I mean, I wouldn't condone him hitting his wife unless she deserved it. Come to think of it, he said she did. I want to see what his justification was.

Maybe it'll be a heads-up for the next wife to walk the straight and narrow or suffer five across the eye.

Dude, if you are serious? You are as deranged as Monster Mel.

Wow. He wasn't even this pissed in the forest scene of The Patriot.

These tapes are a pain in my ass!

STOP BEING THAT!

We should have featured posts as well. The two above mine are awesome.

I <3 this board.

I have thus far avoided listening to any of his rants, and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't give a **** about Mel Gibson.

I have thus far avoided listening to any of his rants, and I plan on keeping it that way. I don't give a **** about Mel Gibson.

You've avoided listening?! I have plenty of energy to drive over there. You understand me? And I will! So just ****ing listen to me! Listen to my ****ing ranting! Listen to what you do to me!

;)

Last edited:
That's pretty serious... what if it turns out that this is a case of splice and dice?

This is not the first time nor probably the last time he has been caught on tape spewing his nasty vile and probably will not be the last.

Even if this turns out to be slice and dice? I will stand my my thoughts and hopes as it is still his voice and those words had to come out of his mouth at some point.

Back
Top Bottom