• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What do you think of RFK

What are your thoughts on RFK?

• He was one of the greatest politicians ever & would have made a great president.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • He was a very well rounded politician.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • He cared too much about ending Vietnam, Gun Control & ending poverty

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I absolutely did not like him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just making sure, because there were many Kennedys that got into high ranking politics, just making sure, I voted that he was okay.

Dead.
I can't really allow myself to fantasize about what might have been when the here and now is so out of wack.

He was a decent politician (much better than Ted will ever be), very much the idealist - I believe that he would have undoubtedly been elected president if not for Sirhan Sirhan.

My grandparents used to live in Washington D.C. and it happened that I was visiting them when he was shot. We stayed up extremely late that night following the news. They finally made me go to bed (I was only 11) but I remember asking my grandmother first thing in the morning how he was doing. We were all devastated - not that I knew that much about politics at the time, but he was an extremely personable man.

At the same time there was a second march on Washington - planned, but not carried out, by Martin Luther King. There were thousands of people camped out at the Mall & Potomac Park - they called it Resurrection City. Although the intent was good, this march never had the impact that MLK's march in 63. Then the death of RFK just a couple of months after MLK's led to some pretty major riots in an already tense area. The city government enforced curfews because they were so concerned about what was happening. My granddad went to work and came home, we didn't go anywhere else. One night he had to stay late downtown for a meeting - I remember being very nervous until he got home. I wish I remembered more of what all went on then, but like most kids at that age I just didn't follow the news too much.

Back
Top Bottom