• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

What do you think is the single most important issue for any major American city?

• Total voters

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.

What do you consider the core issue for any major city government? By this, the issue that if the city government fails at this issue, nothing else really matters.
That depends upon the city.

I usually don't like to make my argument before others post in a poll I have created, but I think on this one maintaining basic law and order is the most essential task of any city government. You cannot have good schools without law and order. You cannot have a good business climate without law and order. You cannot maintain your infrastructure without law and order. You will not have a sufficient tax base to invest in people and communities without law and order.

I usually don't like to make my argument before others post in a poll I have created, but I think on this one maintaining basic law and order is the most essential task of any city government. You cannot have good schools without law and order. You cannot have a good business climate without law and order. You cannot maintain your infrastructure without law and order. You will not have a sufficient tax base to invest in people and communities without law and order.
All of that applies to states and countries as well. Not sure what your point is.

How do we measure whether "basic law and order" is happening in a city?

You are correct. Law and order come first. Its primal. All humans are scared animals, no differant than any other species. Safety is paramount to all animals.

In Maricopa County (Phoenix) and the rest of Arizona, for that matter, public education.

Without infrastructure, nothing else can happen. Police can't get to calls without well maintained roads. Kids can't get to school. Parents can't get to work. You need water. You need sewage. Without that, nothing else is possible.

Having access to housing, food, employment, childcare and education, good mental and physical healthcare goes a long way toward maintaining public safety. More services and citizens having access to basic necessities makes for less desperation and less crime. That said, obviously people need to feel safe and secure in their surroundings.

Cities have complicated needs and demographics, neighborhoods, etc. They are ever changing.

In most large city’s………….years, decades of abuse by progressive Dems who run the city’s down to barley functioning liberal shitholes (before you get all pissy, I live in the worst shithole) years of lack of investment, foresight lack of leadership in this places run(down) by Dems for the past 60 years.
along the same would be poor/no parenting of children, absent fathers. Drugs and gangs. Poor educational systems run(down) by progressives. Lack of long range planning, can’t think outside of the box to diversify

Protecting the liberties of the people.

Which would include, but not be limited to, your first option: public safety.

Voted: good business climate.

For that, you need to have/fix and maintain pretty much all the other things.

Crime, homeless, ugliness, trash, deteriorating infrastructure, lack of services...all impact people negatively and keep them from coming to the city core and/or successfully running their businesses there.

In Seattle, crime and homelessness are driving businesses out of the city.

I don't think any one of those things is a "core issue" because several of them are necessary to have a livable city. But I picked the first one because it's the most obvious as an affirmative responsibility for the government of the city, and I assumed that's what you meant in your poll.

I voted for public schools because everyone needs a classroom education except the kids who are only able to learn at home an d only public schools are affected by laws such as mandatory sex education, job training, individual education plans, etc. More funds into public schools would theoretically reduce unemployment, crime, abortion, legal drug addiction, poverty, and car accidents. Public schools also treat chronic medical conditions with occupational and speech therapists at no cost to the parents.

All of that applies to states and countries as well. Not sure what your point is.

Nope, because basic law enforcement duties (in the US) are typically handled by city or county LEOs, DAs and courts. The criminal laws may exist at the state level, but they are typically enforced at the local level.

The ability to govern. Most of our leaders spend more time getting reelected than governing. We need young smart leaders not career party puppets that belong in a nursing home feathering their nest and getting rich at the tax payers expense. No retirement no pension serve the people and move on.

The ability to govern. Most of our leaders spend more time getting reelected than governing. We need young smart leaders not career party puppets that belong in a nursing home feathering their nest and getting rich at the tax payers expense. No retirement no pension serve the people and move on.
In most cases, city mayors tend to be younger than the average politician.

Tough to pick just one of the ones you list list since they are all rather interdependent on each other.
Also the most urgent needs are going to vary widely from city to city, area to area, etc.

IMO, the most important issue for any city is also the most important issue for the country, rural settings, etc.

And that is Citizens United and all the money surrounding the so called "elections".

Until this glaring defect is corrected, things aren't going to improve substantially IMO.

Back
Top Bottom