• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think and feel when you see cyrillic writing?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

It is like a little story of my life.

in 1961 when the Berlin Wall was built, cyillic writing felt foreign and threatening to me.
When later I was singing in a Russian Choir, this writing was interesting for me.
When I was studying the Russian language at the Unniversity of Freiburg in Breisgau for a while I was fascinated by it.
When in 2003 I visited Russia for the first time I was glad that I could read the street signs in cyrillic.
Now that Russia has attacked Ukraine I feel the cyrillic letters like something threatening again.

There are some differences in the Cryllic alphabets of Russia and Ukraine.

Ukraine is discussing switching over to the Latin/Roman alphabet for easier integration into the EU.

All signage and documents in Ukraine are in Ukrainian, even in majority Russian speaking cities.

All university courses in Ukraine are offered in Ukrainian, Russian, and English.

Many years ago, I took a correspondence course to learn the Russian language.

Of course, I went crazy.

Its grammar is so complicated.

Not to mention the pronunciation.

I soon gave up.

I think I'd like to be able to pronounce it, even if I didn't know the meaning of the words. A phonetic only lesson couldn't be too tough, or take too long.

I think I'd like to be able to pronounce it, even if I didn't know the meaning of the words.
You are right there. The cyrillic alphabet tells you exactly how a word is pronounced.

I think the first time I saw cyrillic letters was on photos of those sign posts in Berlin:

You are now leaving the American sector.

Then the same in French.
Then in Russian.
And then in small print in German - the language of Berlin - as if it was not of importance.

I'm usually confused and cursing, because I have to sound it out to make sense of the signs as I'm playing Geogessr. But, because different countries use different versions of the alphabet, sometimes I can narrow it down. Other than that, I don't have much exposure. If I get plopped down in Russia, though, I know I'm going to get a low score.

in 1961 when the Berlin Wall was built, cyillic writing felt foreign and threatening to me.
When later I was singing in a Russian Choir, this writing was interesting for me.
When I was studying the Russian language at the Unniversity of Freiburg in Breisgau for a while I was fascinated by it.
When in 2003 I visited Russia for the first time I was glad that I could read the street signs in cyrillic.
Now that Russia has attacked Ukraine I feel the cyrillic letters like something threatening again.
Fyi ukraine uses cyrillic too, as does belarus, so cyrillic is not just a russian thing.

Also cyrillic is a mod of cryptic greek, which itself was a evolved version of ancient and archaic greek. The orthodox catholic church(not the same as roman catholic they have no pope) decided cryptic greek or koine greek, was too hard for the masses to understand outside of the highly educated so the created cyrillic.

Greece to this day still uses their greek alphabet, but many parts of eastern europe that followed orthodox christianity adopted cyrillic. This was a major depart from roman catholics, as roman catholics wanted everything in latin in times past, but restricted latin to only the elite and high ranking clergy, while orthodox catholics were similar to what luther would later do, that is decide the words of god should be read and understood by the masses, not told by a priest that says I understand the sacred language, trust my translation I can't be corrupt and lying to you.

My family is Greek. I speak Greek and am able to read and write the language. I studied Russian for two years in college. When I see cyrillic writing, I just read it.

Backwards R's and 3's. What is THAT all about?:eek:

Many years ago, I took a correspondence course to learn the Russian language.

Of course, I went crazy.

Its grammar is so complicated.

Not to mention the pronunciation.

I soon gave up.
You sound like people that are learning English as a second language.

I am very grateful for GoogleTranslate.

"that's looks really cool and weird"

Stoli is good stuff.

There are some differences in the Cryllic alphabets of Russia and Ukraine.

Ukraine is discussing switching over to the Latin/Roman alphabet for easier integration into the EU.

All signage and documents in Ukraine are in Ukrainian, even in majority Russian speaking cities.

All university courses in Ukraine are offered in Ukrainian, Russian, and English.
What do you know, once more globohomo is out to steal peoples traditions from them.

In short;

When I was a child, those letters made me think of Soviet-Russian soldiers and of war.

Later these letters made me think of solemn and emotional Russian Orthodox Church services.
Still later they made me think of happy times in Russia, in Perm near the Ural and in Krasnodar in the Caucasus.

And now these letters make me think of war again ..

Guys I am ok with English and Russia alphabets. I am international student and try to study English more intensively. Without grammar, one cannot proceed to learn or improve his, her, English. Therefore, you need to know the tip-to-toe basics of grammar. Or recently my friend recommene me to check do my project for me

Back
Top Bottom